cfreep0

Kinetic Sculpture Techniques

I am building a kinetic Diorama which has a scene with a figure being chased by some 'creatures'. I wanted a solution to the movement similar to the walking T-Rex build (and walking TaunTaun on Reddit) Schlumpy89 has on Lego Ideas Here: LEGO IDEAS - Walking T-Rex Display In the past, I have used methods by JKBRICKWORKS (namely the Lawnmower man Kinetic sculpture) but this time I would benefit greatly from a thinner base. My own solutions require a base at least 2 - 3 times thicker than Schlumpys one. I don't have enough bricks (or money!) to experiment in real life and Studio doesn't seem very useful for designing Kinetic models as you cannot test the movement. I have done as much research as I can but have no idea how Schlumpy got the mechanism into such a small box. Does anyone know where I can look up various techniques that may help me or maybe give me some idea how its done? 

Probably not a lot of help but have you scanned the Technic sub-forum, I recall seeing a few kinetic mocs there. Even if the posted kinetic sculptures don't help, they may steer you in the right direction.

Even if it doesn't help there are some really cool mechanisms in there. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, good luck.

If a solution needs a thick base but you want it to appear thin, one solution is to use two bases. Use black as the main thick base and have a thinner more colourful base on top. The black base tends to visually disappear as the eye is drawn to the model on the base on top. I've done this in the past when I wanted valleys or pits in build.

20 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Probably not a lot of help but have you scanned the Technic sub-forum, I recall seeing a few kinetic mocs there. Even if the posted kinetic sculptures don't help, they may steer you in the right direction.

Even if it doesn't help there are some really cool mechanisms in there. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, good luck.

No, that's really helpful, thanks! I hadn't thought of that.

15 hours ago, MAB said:

If a solution needs a thick base but you want it to appear thin, one solution is to use two bases. Use black as the main thick base and have a thinner more colourful base on top. The black base tends to visually disappear as the eye is drawn to the model on the base on top. I've done this in the past when I wanted valleys or pits in build.

That is a good approach I think I may incorporate into another project but this one is limited to the depth I want it to be. Great option though!