Sign in to follow this  
dullbrain

[MOC] Medieval Keep

Hello everyone,

I've been enjoying the contents of this forum for a few years now, and since the successive waves of covid finally got me starting a chilhood dream, I thought it was my turn to share something here.

For as long as I can remember, the medieval theme was a favorite of mine and I dreamt of having a lego minifigsize-ish castle with the full defensive apparatus : drawbridge, portcullis, iron-reinforced door, deadfall trap and so on.

This project was designed on stud.io but saw some real life modifications to better suit the physical and structural constraints.

It consists of a quite large keep sitting on a rocky island, whose access is further defended by a barbican. The keep - designed to be self-sufficient - has four floors, the first one being the access floor with the kitchen and well, the second one hosting the drawbridge's and portcullis' mecanisms as well as the soldiers' beds, the third one being the lady commander's quarters and the fourth one the guards' floor. The tower's top has a working trebuchet on it, making it able to have an active defence against any siege equipment.

I gathered ideas from all medieval-related materials on the internet, including this forum of course, often twisting or adapting some of the great ideas I found - except for the well which is a faithful copy of Aurore's design (please see this as an homage to a rendition I knew I had to include as soon as I saw it !). The keep itself is mostly inspired by one of the tower of the Foix castle in France. The excrescences at each corner are made to hide the fact that the closing of the opening walls is not really airtight (it was on stud.io but not in reality) but it ended up giving it a sturdier look. The corbels seen on the keep and the barbican are toilets.

The building is home to 5 crossbowmen, 5 foot soldiers and 4 dragon knights plus their leader, the last 5 ones being the lady commander's personal guard, while her old father still lives in the luxury stained glass window decorated quarters that sits above the stables of the barbican. It amounts to ~20 000 pieces, not including the basis and filling pieces, and took me almost two years to complete from first digital brick to last physical one.

I'm truly interested in your opinions and ideas, and if there's a specific detail you'd like to see a picture of, please feel free to ask :)

PS : please excuse the poor picture conditions !

51977564624_c8c744df02_w.jpgIMG001 by RandomPhotoUser_001, sur Flickr

51977847080_ce7ab54ff3_w.jpgIMG003 by RandomPhotoUser_001, sur Flickr

51977564659_02bffcf171_w.jpgIMG002 by RandomPhotoUser_001, sur Flickr

Full flickr album with details : https://www.flickr.com/photos/195333789@N04/albums/72177720297806121

Edited by dullbrain

This is a very nice water castle. It is very beautiful and built with many details. The interior of the Medieval Keep is elaborate, well built and interesting.

I like the rockwork and stonework here.  The pathway looks good.  I really like the interiors especially the different fireplaces is a nice detail.  I also like that you can open the keep like that makes for a good play feature.  Really nice work and look forward to seeing other work from you.  

That is extremely impressive. My first thought was that it might be a bit bland from the outside, but it is so realistic and every second you watch you see more details. Really gorgeous, also from the inside.

Quite the keep and scene. All the details fit and you've balanced it well. Can't wait to see what else you've created.