Mr Jos

[MINDSTORMS] Full automatic, interactive "Logistics center"

I was imagining somethink brick built for the buttons like this.

418LPgv.png

Thank you for the instructions for the cables! They look super cool and kinda easy to do. might consider getting the parts to do some myself!

6 hours ago, Heppu said:

I was imagining somethink brick built for the buttons like this. /

Thank you for the instructions for the cables! They look super cool and kinda easy to do. might consider getting the parts to do some myself!

Thanks, that was what I was looking for, went in my 20yr old studded bins and found all the needed pieces.

52075297514_a763fd7058_b.jpg

They work as intended and not fragile.

I also finished the programming for all the conveyors and robot arm to stop directly when the e-stop is pressed. And restart on reset and continue to their original endpoint. Only the high bay crane still finishes its moves for now as it's a bit harder to program a soft-stop on e-stop. I can't slam the brakes or it will want to fall over/stress the rope. Also when homing the fork I'm looking for colors, so not a good point to stop midway. Will be thinking on how to program that..

52100476348_8aecb25755_b.jpg

The logistics center has been running 15hours last weekend at a 2-day event. During build-up few minor adjustments needed to be made to homing positions as the flatness of the table impacts the position of all components. Once it was running I had only 3 breakdowns in the first 2hours (all the same, lifting the input roll conveyor up crashed the chain coming from its motor). After changing a software parameter and changing a 4L axle with a 6L axle it worked 13hours without any major breakdowns.

It did suffer some heavy friction, from turning the sliding parts into Lego dust, during the last hour. And it did start to have trouble to position accurately. I want to open all heavily worn items and clean/change them, but as there is no instruction to rebuild yet, I have started now to make a full 3D of this MOC.

52100626404_ffed1ae64c_b.jpg

After 3 hours I now have finished designing the 5racks, 6floors rack + correct build order, so it's easy to extract a PDF file from it.

Edited by Mr Jos
Blurred people

Amazing mate, the only way to test something properly is by having it run constantly and you have found some weak spots to iron out. I hope people were impressed with it at the event, I sure am. Good luck with using technic in Stud.io, it's a pain in the back and nothing seems to snap. Lots of parts without snapping too. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

On 5/27/2022 at 6:44 AM, Carsten Svendsen said:

Amazing mate, the only way to test something properly is by having it run constantly and you have found some weak spots to iron out. I hope people were impressed with it at the event, I sure am. Good luck with using technic in Stud.io, it's a pain in the back and nothing seems to snap. Lots of parts without snapping too. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Thanks! Indeed not easy to design anything with half beam onto axles, as they do not snap in place, need to correct the XYZ constantly to keep everything in line.

This did slow me down a bit with the cable guidings for the crane, but I managed to get it finished. 4797 parts so far without cables/cord as they can not be put in with Stud.Io . Not to bad for 1day of work, but my 10+ year old laptop is not liking this piece count already.

52103575942_9ae5a603d3_b.jpg

Next part will now be the roller conveyors, then the chain conveyors followed by the scissor table. It all takes a good thinking in what order everything needs to be put in place so it's possible to remake this.

Edit:

Due to getting used to Studio + having my palette nearly completed with all parts I use (and how to find them fast), I got the corner transfer (rolls) nearly finished.

52105484520_bf07a3052d_b.jpg

I'm meanwhile updating the lifting mechanism, as that's what broke 3 times at the show. I do will have to buy 2x 16L axles though to make it in real, as this whole mechanism is so cramped together, modelling the chain was a bit of a pain as it turns everywhere and starts snapping in a complete fixed position, and there's little room to play around.

Edited by Mr Jos

After 3 days the complete warehouse (racks/crane/cross supports/rails/baseplates/chain conveyors/corner conveyors/roll conveyors/scissor table/control panel) is in 3D finished [No 6DoF robot arm yet].

7157 parts, I did think there would've been more, but there's loads of huge parts.

• 128x 11L liftarm
  • 135x 13L liftarm
  • 247x 15L liftarm!!
  • 140x technic brick 10L
  • 869x chain link small

52107125809_46c4cf588f_b.jpg

I left out the rack beginning and middle to have some view.

The designing of the 6DoF XL robot will be much harder as I will need to take it apart way more whilst doing so. Getting close to being able to rebuild the setup for cleaning/repairing.

Edit:

A few hours later; ...

52107962711_ec875d1603_b.jpg

Baseframe, joint 1 (XXL turntable), joint 2 (heaviest load) and joint 3 are designed, and in buildable order. [8072 parts now, so at 915 for the 6axis-robot so far]

The last 3 joints are allready separated in 'blocks' to easily design+combine them.

52108540530_20ce886ae3_b.jpg

From right to left; 3-motors hub, arm extension, gearbox for gear-skip-free going through the turntable, wrist.

Edited by Mr Jos
Update on the designing

And it's finished (3D),

52112045367_965b9d5449_b.jpg

On my flickr are a few more photo's, with pallets and a more closeup from the XL robotarm.

Now it's just making instructions.. Starting at page 1/1157, wondering howmany pages I will have when finished. I hope under 300-400.

Edit:

3/06/2022 - At page 100/1095, as the build is with so much big parts, I can't combine many steps on 1 page..

6/06/2022 - At page 182/978 (step 298). Racks + crane are completed. Working on the corner transfers now.

11/06/2022 - At page 265/859 (step 461). All roll conveyors finished and the control center, scissor lift. Next is the 2 chain conveyors.

11/06/2022 - At page 304/789 (step 552). Short chain conveyor finished.

11/06/2022 - At page 356/707 (step 686). Everything except the 6DoF robot is finished in instructions.

12/06/2022 - At page 476/591 (step 901). 3 joints left on the robot arm.

Edited by Mr Jos
Adding instruction update info

It took me longer than I expected, 13 days to finish the "steps" for the PDF instruction. Now I still need to add photo's here and there to show how to attach cables/route the cables/string.

52140432962_27e2e1c8c3_b.jpg

Final result;

• 519 pages (started at 1157, more than I hoped to have leftover)
  • 1012 steps (started at 1157, reduced by callout's)
  • 8873 parts in this build
  • One hot laptop as it did not like this rendering, and the rendering that still needs to be done. As it has a broken fan for a few years already.

So about 1 more week cleaning up the PDF and finishing it, then back to the real build, fix all worn items and let it run again, and expand.

That's a lot of work for instructions on something only a few people (if any) could even consider building just because of its size and the piece count alone!

Hope you enjoyed the process.

I guess it will at least serve as a momento for you once its torn down and the pieces are used for other awesome projects.

2 minutes ago, Heppu said:

Hope you enjoyed the process.

I guess it will at least serve as a momento

I believe both are "the thing". For me, and I just guess for @Mr Jos as well, it is enjoyable to do that - creating a "LEGO-like" instruction. But most importantly, once you have it done, it becomes - priceless :pir-love:. I just browsed through my "instructions" - some are shared, many are not - but it is nice to awaken old builds - and a structured instruction does that: You go through the process of building, of living "the thing" again ...

And for sure, this is a momento, I'd say it is a reference, you can revert to every time you wish.

If @Mr Jos is willing to share the instructions, I will download them - and then enjoy the build. For sure. I will never be able to do that in bricks - but that does not count (for me): It is the progress, the evolving build, the final result.

Best,
Thorsten

On 6/12/2022 at 11:25 PM, Toastie said:

I believe both are "the thing". For me, and I just guess for @Mr Jos as well, it is enjoyable to do that - creating a "LEGO-like" instruction. But most importantly, once you have it done, it becomes - priceless :pir-love:. I just browsed through my "instructions" - some are shared, many are not - but it is nice to awaken old builds - and a structured instruction does that: You go through the process of building, of living "the thing" again ...

And for sure, this is a momento, I'd say it is a reference, you can revert to every time you wish.

If @Mr Jos is willing to share the instructions, I will download them - and then enjoy the build. For sure. I will never be able to do that in bricks - but that does not count (for me): It is the progress, the evolving build, the final result.

Best,
Thorsten

You're correct! I enjoy making these builds, and then reverse engineer them so I can rebuild them later/ perform maintenance after an event. The smaller builds are for sale on Rebrickable to get a little profit to keep expanding my setup. And also make other people see how complex machines work, and that they can control it (like my 100% original Lego 6DoF, even cables).

I really am thinking about posting this one on Rebrickable for free without programs, just to let people see the techniques I used.

• Like for a corner transfer, how it works to move a pallet in 4 directions. 
  • How the large 6 axis robot is build.
  • The working of an accurate but still fast moving high bay crane that has no gears in it drivetrain for X and Y, only Z(fork movement).

I'm still working on adding pictures/text to show how to put the cables in the build. I just finished measuring the cable lengths, the longest ones are 130cm.

About awakening old builds, my pin sorters are like this, I break them down to use the pieces, and then rebuild and refine later. The current overhead bridge sorter isn't in 3D form yet, but it got broken down in transport, so not sure if I will be able to remake that one.

Edited by Mr Jos

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-115292/Mr_Jos/logistics-warehouse-crane-robot-conveyors/#details

The PDF has aired, if anyone interested in viewing it would be so helpfull to test if the link on rebrickable works, I had to upload it on Dropbox as it's 700Mb+

Just today received few items with the mail aswell to upgrade the warehouse, but I still need 1 piece and learn more about how to work with it.

52164990342_945a505cc0_b.jpg

I bought the ESP32 from Anton some time ago with his LED's and received from China a 2.8" touchscreen today that should be able to work with it, to make a real HMI (Human Machine Interface). The LED's are planned to go on each storage place to show the current state (full/empty/pickup/dropoff requested), as each LED can be asigned his own color.

So the next update will not be soon as I need to learn how it all works.

On 6/23/2022 at 5:19 AM, Carsten Svendsen said:

Your link works fine, I had a skim through the PDF and it is quite detailed and well done. Seems like the exhibition went well :)

Thanks, good to know.

I did put my oven (overheating laptop due to a broken fan) to work for some rendering.

52170163429_64f38859fe_b.jpg

52168897802_12bd1e685a_b.jpg

52169925728_c835998e54_b.jpg

The full model render is not done yet, it takes near 1 hour for each photo and can't do anything else.

On 6/22/2022 at 10:31 PM, Mr Jos said:

The PDF has aired, if anyone interested in viewing it

I am speechless. And so happy. Now I can walk through your - "warehouse" (it is so much more(!) than that) - and see how you did make that become reality. It is beautiful.

You know, in real life, my group is working with rather - congested - experiments. Whenever a new student comes in, it is "Oh my, I may not ..." I try to stop them right there - because that is not the point. It may be complex, but it is built from basic elements. OK, the way of assembling them is the - "thing". Also, not the point: Once put together, the "thing" becomes a "method". To be used by others. To even try more complex "things" building on that now established method. I try very hard to get that point across.

However, experiencing such a nice, detailed and well-thought-out documentation of that "thing" you made, is so much more than that: It means to recreate (which is a passive "action") the way of actually making it. Not just looking at awe, but having the chance of "following", grasping, comprehending.

Wonderful. Thank you very, very much for a) going through the pain fun of making the instruction and b) of sharing it to the public.

Tipping hat, a slight nod, and a bow.

With very best regards,
Thorsten

P.S.: While the laptop/graphics card approaches critical temperatures, why not frying an egg on the case? Some salt and pepper and the hour of waiting vanishes into a time to remember. Here is to you  :pir-huzzah2:

Edited by Toastie

On 6/25/2022 at 12:50 AM, Toastie said:

Wonderful. Thank you very, very much for a) going through the pain fun of making the instruction and b) of sharing it to the public.

Thanks for your complete reply! It was very fun to do knowing I can remake it later if I ever take it down, or can help others with design elements. But there was also pain, making the PDF was very slow due to the old overheating laptop, will have to ask IT to install Studio on my work laptop to make it faster next time.

Meanwhile I also started experimenting with the ESP32 board and NeoPixel RGB LED's I have from Antons Mindstorms Hacks. Huge, massive thanks to Ste7an for the help during setting everything up to work fine to the point I'm at now.

I have tested communication between EV3 <-> ESP32, and changing a single LED intensity/color (but not together yet).

90LED's (30x3) will be used to show the status of the 60 storage locations, a 'tower lamp' for the status of the warehouse [3Led's for; Auto mode/Manual mode/Emergency Stop/Reset needed]. And possibly a few more to show more activity.

Next is now testing changing the LED status from the EV3 program. If that all works fine I will try adding the touchscreen to have an interactive HMI (Human Machine Interface) to request pallets by name from a colored touchscreen connected to the ESP32.

EDIT:

I got the communication and control of the LEDs together working now. The 4 directional buttons on the EV3 are used to turn on the LED. The longer they are being pressed, the brighter they burn. Middle button turns them off.

Ready to add 100 LEDs to the warehouse now.

Edited by Mr Jos

My machines have been running at a few events now, everytime trying to fix issues afterwards that I ran into during these 20hour runs each. Both my warehouse and sorting machines are pretty reliable now, here's a 'short' video of them at a school event where we were invited. (Complex machines like these need a longer timespan than the usual 20seconds short videos that are popular now)

Next events will be;

• Maker Faire Delft [Netherlands] 13+14 May 2023
  • Brick Mania Blankenberge [Belgium] 20+21 May 2023