Sign in to follow this  
Duvors

Heroica: Glory Amongst the Stars - Mission #9: He's Dead, Jim

"It's just about the third or fourth time we descended into these damn sewers, and the stench still gets to me," Decker grumbles, pressing forward to the yet-unexplored junction and glancing down both pathways.

13 hours ago, Endgame said:

"It's just about the third or fourth time we descended into these damn sewers, and the stench still gets to me," Decker grumbles, pressing forward to the yet-unexplored junction and glancing down both pathways.

Third, actually. Anyways, you press forward to the junction to take a look at what lies beyond:

51952394126_47ee8f46ec_b.jpg

Looking first to the left, you see nothing other than a corner curving away from you. And broken lights. There are lots of broken lights around here for some reason. Suddenly, your toxicity detector switches to red, even though you're standing still. And... there's a shuffling noise... coming from the other passage! Whirling around, you see-

51952996735_3b9d20a9a2_o.png

...that.
It's...
ah,
it's moving toward you.

Map

51952994710_5c6c86c547_o.png

The eye is the Wall of Flesh.

"Another bend, alrighty, we can give there a gander, or..."

Decker turns and sees it. Eyes. Staring at him. They blink, but not in unison. He can hear their eyelids grind shut, the meat and gristle scraping against the sewer. Some part of the scrapper's brain just short circuits at the sight, and fear takes over.

"-or, or WHAT THE F*CK IS-"

Decker freezes until a primal instinct jolts up his spine like lightning, compelling him to scream and run. It was as undignified as it sounded; he fell backwards first, barely catching himself with one of his arms, before flailing back another couple of steps. By the third pace he was upright and running, back around the corner, nearly colliding with Ronin.

"RONIN! There's, there's," Decker inhales, trying to compose himself. "The meat blob is real."

Decker looks behind his shoulder and unholsters his shotgun, trying to determine how quickly the Wall was pursuing, if at all.

Edited by Endgame

FRa4548.jpeg
"Decker lets go!"
He grabs Decker and starts running to the passage to their right.
"Lets fight this thing if there is no choice.  I do not want to become another pound of flesh to this thing."
He says deceitfully.

Edited by Yzalirk

4 hours ago, Yzalirk said:

He grabs Decker and starts running to the passage to their right.

Seizing the initiative, you grab your frantic companion by the hand and drag them down the unexplored passage, hoping to find safety that way. With the horrific scraping sounds of the monster behind you, you round the corner to find...

51955706949_5cc12a68ef_b.jpg

...a tunnel stretching off into the dark. At first there's a brief glimmer of hope, but then you spot the light reflecting off the end of the passage, and you realize this is a dead end. Thankfully, salvation is at hand! Another tunnel branches off this one, and if you can head down there...

51955996970_2f9f4c71b2_b.jpg

... ahhh phooey.

Both Heroes Perception Check (DC 2): Decker (6,6,1,6) Three successes, Ronin (6,1,1,1) One success.

Or maybe not, as you both examine the scene, you, Decker, can see that the obligatory outflow grate is broken! If you're both willing to wade through raw sewage, you might be able to squeeze down there to safety.

Both Heroes Perception Check (DC 3): Decker (6,6,5,1) Three successes, Ronin (4,5,4,2) Three successes.

However, even as Decker comes to this realization, the both of you spot something odd indeed.

51955496478_dcfc0df1c3_b.jpg

For some reason, part of the archway of this tunnel is shorter than the rest in one specific spot... and is the wall under it colored differently from the rest?

Both Heroes Insight Check (DC 2): Decker (6,3,6) Two successes, Ronin (6,5,5) Three successes.

Y'know, it's not exactly the same, but it does kinda remind you of the wall by that spot where you found impaled-hand-man. (Reid, his name was Reid.) Could these walls both have... secret doors?

What will you do?

Map

51955407166_faf64d20e7_o.png

Edited by Duvors

"I can hear it gettin' closer..." Decker says, noting the slope of the archways, how they seemed to dip at a seemingly innocuous point in the wall. A gloved hand traced the curvature of the arch. "You wouldn'ta BELIEVED how many eyes this damn thing had, Ronin. I think I could hear them blink, eurgh."

He looks down the corridor towards where the busted outflow was. "I'd really prefer not to go down there, but that blob definitely couldn't..."

Decker presses his hands against the wall where the archway dips and presses, trying to feel if there was any give...

Decker Strength Check (DC 3): (3,2,6,6) Two successes.

Decker Perception Check (DC 3 1 {Know what you're looking for} Heavily Lightly Obscured {Flashlight}): (6,2,6,2,-2) Zero successes.

Despite your best attempts, the wall does not give. As you press close to it however, you can just barely see a thin line running down the middle, like the center of a pair of double doors. Frantically, you try to feel about for some sort of opening mechanism, but in the darkness and your own haste you fail to find anything.
The grinding, sliding noises grow ever closer. You feel as if you don't have much time to get this door open before the thing arrives.

Decker's composure slips, and as his attempts to expose the secret passage are met with failure, he can do nothing but frustratedly pound his fist on the wall and listen to the sound of encroaching flesh. Closer. Closer. Closer...

The beam of his flashlight dances from the wall, to the passage where the creature was coming from, back to the wall, back towards the outflow grate.  He didn't get the best look at the Wall of Flesh, but he knew it was big - too big to pursue them far through there.

"Okay Ronin! Plan B time!"

Decker adjusts the seal on his mask, on his maintenance suit, before making a break for the busted outflow grate.

Desparate to escape the oncoming blob, the two of you dive into the sludge. Crawling on hands and knees, you force yourselves to ignore the smell and discomfort, pressing on into the low tunnel. The space is so narrow you can only move in single file, wriggling on into the gunk and trying not to gag at the overwhelming smell. At first you think you might be safe just a little way in, but then you remember something you saw on the blob - tendrils, wriggling like spastic worms wrapped in intestine. How long can those things stretch? You don't know, so you press on.

You can barely see anything, now having enough space to use your flashlights. All you can tell is that you've rounded a corner, and that there are sunken grates in the floor, slowly sucking sludge down to hell-knows-where.

Finally, you reach what seems to be the end - and, to your right, light! Turning with agonizing slowness, you wriggle like slugs through a mound of muck. Finally, you're out. You've left the tiny passageway and entered into one of the proper tunnels. Desperately, you gasp for air, staggering to your feet and trying to get a bearing on your surroundings.

51959699082_3da800af3b_o.png

I seems you've reached a dead end, with a corner turning off into the rest of this maze and a manhole directly above where you emerged.

What will you do?

Map

51960985889_04966d0c32_o.png

S's are the secret doors.

Decker emerges from the muck and sits down on the nearest walkway after emerging from the claustrophobic outflow grate, and just takes a couple of deep breaths. "Never once... did I think... I'd be grateful to be in this damn tunnel," Decker grumbles, looking back towards the tiny pipe he just emerged from. "Downright roomy, ain't it... Oh, Gods, never again..."

Decker unstraps his rifle and checks to make sure it's loaded, before slapping his knee and standing up again. His back felt like it was gonna ache for a while.

"Let's see what's around this corner before we head topside again, Ronin," Decker says, gesturing for his (definitely human?) companion to follow.

Peaking around the corner, you see a long, nondescript tunnel with a couple passages leading off to your left. Judging by what you've learned about this place, and where you think you are, there's only one place this can be:

Map

51962602253_08e2c71333_o.png

Congratulations! You have explored the entire network.

The duo proceed down the corridor for a bit, but soon familiarity sets in, and they realize where they are.

"We went through the whole network an' still haven't found our guy? Maybe he's above ground... Or maybe..." Decker thinks back to his glimpse of the wall of flesh. That had to be someone's flesh... Right? "Let's hope he isn't part of a our new best friend, eh..."

"Well, I'd like to go back an' maybe get those secret doors popped open, but it may be more pertinent to do after that damn meat blob is gone. Let's backtrack  to where we came out of the outflow grate an' head back to the surface through the manhole cover. Onwards and upwards, I 'spose..."

14 hours ago, Endgame said:

"We went through the whole network an' still haven't found our guy? Maybe he's above ground... Or maybe..." Decker thinks back to his glimpse of the wall of flesh. That had to be someone's flesh... Right? "Let's hope he isn't part of a our new best friend, eh..."

"Well, I'd like to go back an' maybe get those secret doors popped open, but it may be more pertinent to do after that damn meat blob is gone. Let's backtrack  to where we came out of the outflow grate an' head back to the surface through the manhole cover. Onwards and upwards, I 'spose..."

FRa4548.jpeg
"Indeed.  He either got eaten or... integrated into that fleshy blob.  Best we can do is speculate on who we missed but we did discover the identities of the other corpses.  I would like to figure out what is behind those secret doors too.  But perhaps you are right, the monster is surely still lurking around there."

MM note: Just so you know, if you don't find out what happened to Greg, you'll fail the mission. I'd suggest trying to find a way back to those secret doors.

Having made your decision, you return to the ladder and make your way to the surface.

51964741346_5d1e522d59_b.jpg

The sounds of people overwhelm you as you emerge into a an open promenade. Even at this time of 'day' people are still using this space, hurrying from one place to another. The sounds of a busker's trumpet fill the air. The whole atmosphere is incongruous. Thankfully, as you emerge there's someone there to help you out. Standing right by the manhole in fact.

51964803593_2b9f69847e_o.png

"Hooo, Hey there! You fellas look like you've been in the wars."

8 hours ago, Yzalirk said:

FRa4548.jpeg
"Indeed.  He either got eaten or... integrated into that fleshy blob.  Best we can do is speculate on who we missed but we did discover the identities of the other corpses.  I would like to figure out what is behind those secret doors too.  But perhaps you are right, the monster is surely still lurking around there."

"Lots of things left to figure out. Like where the hell did Flatfoot go runnin' off to? Where's our fifth corpse? What is the proper code for that door, and the hell was the thing that sent you flying? Maybe after we're through here, we double back 'round the sewer system, go to the other secret doors that are further from the blob. If we both put our muscle together, we might be able to finesse it open..."

Decker startles a bit as the man helps them up from the sewer. "Oh, like you wouldn't believe, friend," Decker laughs. He has to shield his eyes just for a moment. The artificial light was bright, the trumpet was... not exactly calming, and everyone was scurrying to and fro.

He glances at the newspaper headlines to see if there was anything of note  before turning his attention back to the man. "You doin' maintenance work yourself? Decker DaCabe here."

17 hours ago, Endgame said:

He glances at the newspaper headlines to see if there was anything of note  before turning his attention back to the man.

51967255749_766043c30e_o.png

The Adamite manning the stand waves at you as you peruse the news. From what you can see, there are two variations of HEROICA SAVES MISSING FREIGHTER, one ADMIRAL TORRMENT DESTROYS PIRATE FLEET and a CORVANIS MAN CLAIMS DROP OF RAIN FELL ON HIM. That last one was obviously put into print before the other two stories broke.

17 hours ago, Endgame said:

"You doin' maintenance work yourself? Decker DaCabe here."

"Kinda, I'm here to keep this cleaning bot working." he indicates the the yellow bot at his feet, which is already busy scrubbing up the filth you're tracking everywhere. "Decker huh? You two must be the guys the boss hired. Name's Vintej Ahntiq." He holds out his hand. "Arno told me to keep an eye out for you."

FRa4548.jpeg
"Oh, hello-"
He greets Vintej Ahntiq and bows.
"-We were actually on our way to find the access to another manhole.  A big fleshy blob sort of disrupted our plan.  Are you a friend of Gregory Smiles?  Anything you can us about him may certainly help us find him."

10 hours ago, Duvors said:

The Adamite manning the stand waves at you as you peruse the news. From what you can see, there are two variations of HEROICA SAVES MISSING FREIGHTER, one ADMIRAL TORRMENT DESTROYS PIRATE FLEET and a CORVANIS MAN CLAIMS DROP OF RAIN FELL ON HIM. That last one was obviously put into print before the other two stories broke.

"Kinda, I'm here to keep this cleaning bot working." he indicates the the yellow bot at his feet, which is already busy scrubbing up the filth you're tracking everywhere. "Decker huh? You two must be the guys the boss hired. Name's Vintej Ahntiq." He holds out his hand. "Arno told me to keep an eye out for you."

Decker waves back, and then grins at the first hedline. "Score one for the home team," he says, grin turning to chuckling at that last headline. Slow day at the office, eh?

He looks down at the little yellow robot working so diligently to clean up his tracks, and feels a bit bad. Decker stomps out his boots where he stands, at least minimizing his impact. "Ah, so you're familiar with our little rescue mission, then. You an' Greg pals? We're having a hell of a time down there. I feel awful, givin' your little cleanin' fella this much extra labor. Speaking of which, bein' down in the sewers has me a little spun around, directions-wise, plus I'm new to this station. Where in the station are we right now?"

Edited by Endgame

20 hours ago, Yzalirk said:

"Oh, hello-"
He greets Vintej Ahntiq and bows.
"-We were actually on our way to find the access to another manhole.  A big fleshy blob sort of disrupted our plan.  Are you a friend of Gregory Smiles?  Anything you can us about him may certainly help us find him."

"Greg? Quiet guy, wears glasses, likes jigsaw puzzles? I, uh, can't say we were close. And I don't think anything I could tell you would help with finding him. You say you're looking for a manhole? If you have any clue where it might be I could probably take you there." he gestures to the shuttlecar behind him.

19 hours ago, Endgame said:

He looks down at the little yellow robot working so diligently to clean up his tracks, and feels a bit bad. Decker stomps out his boots where he stands, at least minimizing his impact. "Ah, so you're familiar with our little rescue mission, then. You an' Greg pals? We're having a hell of a time down there. I feel awful, givin' your little cleanin' fella this much extra labor. Speaking of which, bein' down in the sewers has me a little spun around, directions-wise, plus I'm new to this station. Where in the station are we right now?"

"You're in Golkan Plaza, right in the middle of the Southeastern Docks."

On 3/29/2022 at 7:06 PM, Duvors said:

"Greg? Quiet guy, wears glasses, likes jigsaw puzzles? I, uh, can't say we were close. And I don't think anything I could tell you would help with finding him. You say you're looking for a manhole? If you have any clue where it might be I could probably take you there." he gestures to the shuttlecar behind him.

"You're in Golkan Plaza, right in the middle of the Southeastern Docks."

"Jigsaw puzzles, huh...? How much does a guy gotta like' em to where it's a core part of his personality..." Decker laughs, shaking his head. He keeps his hands in his pockets and paces casually, looking towards the corner of the plaza where the O'kor'uk and pale man were seated. He checks the signage - looks like they were outside of the police station, medbay, and a restaurant...?

"Golkan plaza, eh. Heard any rumors lately, Vintij? Pardon me for te odd question, but we're doin' investigatin' work and gotta pick people's brains. Was wonderin' if you heard murmurings of any odd happenin' 'round here. Even if it's not particular to Greg, it could help..."

15 hours ago, Endgame said:

"Jigsaw puzzles, huh...? How much does a guy gotta like' em to where it's a core part of his personality..." Decker laughs, shaking his head. He keeps his hands in his pockets and paces casually, looking towards the corner of the plaza where the O'kor'uk and pale man were seated. He checks the signage - looks like they were outside of the police station, medbay, and a restaurant...?

51973611051_281b2c2cd0_o.png

Looking over the patrons of the restaurant, you see only two. One is a pale man with red eyes and fangs wearing classic 'dastardly villain' attire, high collar and all. He seems jittery and nervous, cradling his drink like his life depended on it while a newspaper lies on the table. The O'Kor'uk is much more relaxed, conversing with the waiter serving him. You can't make out what he's saying though.

51973898099_16ba44f6dc_o.png

Looking over the signs, you see that it directs viewers to police, fire, and medical services, with the arrow seemingly pointing down a narrow access tunnel. Above the tunnel are more signs, these ones seemingly for commercial services, as well as a yellow sign...

Decker Culture Check (DC 1): (4,6,6) Three successes.

... saying 'Weasel Street Quick Access'. Above all this, a news ticker delivers the latest scoops in terse format.

16 hours ago, Endgame said:

"Golkan plaza, eh. Heard any rumors lately, Vintij? Pardon me for te odd question, but we're doin' investigatin' work and gotta pick people's brains. Was wonderin' if you heard murmurings of any odd happenin' 'round here. Even if it's not particular to Greg, it could help..."

"Well, uh, I guess Bob said the he saw a 'meat blob' down in those sewers you crawled out of. 'Bout the size of a big rat he said. That was a long ways back though."

23 hours ago, Duvors said:

"Well, uh, I guess Bob said the he saw a 'meat blob' down in those sewers you crawled out of. 'Bout the size of a big rat he said. That was a long ways back though."

Decker grits his teeth. "See that tunnel over there, Vintij...?" Decker says, gesturing towards the archway with the news ticker over it. "If ya cut the meat blob in half, it'd still be too big to fit through there. Pass the word to Arno that he shouldn't send any more men down there til' we deal with the thing."

Something about the dastardly-looking man's behavior piqued Decker's curiosity, and he walks over to the outside seating. Man, I mus' smell like shit right now,  Decker thinks to himself.

"hey friend, something in the news got you bothered?" Hopefully not the raindrop story. That'd be kinda sad.

1 hour ago, Endgame said:

Decker grits his teeth. "See that tunnel over there, Vintij...?" Decker says, gesturing towards the archway with the news ticker over it. "If ya cut the meat blob in half, it'd still be too big to fit through there. Pass the word to Arno that he shouldn't send any more men down there til' we deal with the thing."

"Ye gods..."

1 hour ago, Endgame said:

Something about the dastardly-looking man's behavior piqued Decker's curiosity, and he walks over to the outside seating. Man, I mus' smell like shit right now,  Decker thinks to himself.

"hey friend, something in the news got you bothered?" Hopefully not the raindrop story. That'd be kinda sad.

As you make your way over, the little robot follows you, brushes whirring furiously.

51975880479_d2781c5b3b_o.png

"Oh! Err, No. There is nothing to vorry about." he speaks with a thick accent you can't quite identify. "I vas just enjoying my coffee. Err, who are you?"

MM note: So, few things.
Firstly, to reiterate something I've said before, I'll be taking a trip to Ireland soon. To be more specific, the 28th. Once that happens, I will not be able to run this mission, and it will have to be canceled unless finished beforehand. In the interest of saving time, you will not have any further encounters with the Wall of Flesh. I'll also say right now that anything you could've learned from this location, you already purchased from Vinoq.

I'm sorry to do this to you, but I really want to finish this properly and there isn't a lot of time to do it in.

Edited by Duvors

Duly noted on all counts. You've put a ton of work into this, and I've been enjoying it, and I want to see it completed too. :thumbup: So I'll keep things moving along!

"Ah, jus' a concerned citizen is all. Wanted to make sure you were all set. Take care, alright?"

Decker walks back to Ronin. "Ronin, I don't think there's anything left to squeeze outta anyone here. We know the Meat Blob has been grownin', so, that's not encouragin', but... well, we could head to the police station, but honestly? I don't feel cozy involvin' others in this. That just seems like we're setting people up to get devoured. If we've explored the whole network and still haven't found Greg, I think our only two options are that he got eaten by the blob, or that he's behind one of those secret doors. And I'd rather see what's behind door number two, literally. That blob o' lard didn't seem too fast. Let's head back down into the sewers, double back to that secret door, and take a closer look at it. If we combine our strength I bet we can pop it open."

Decker hoists up the manhole cover and attempts to do exactly that.