Dav1d

TrixBrix's Boom barrier combo - are there any reviews

Just inspecting the link: Looks really good and will work. €80 is some number though. When you have that at your disposal for one crossing: Go for it. They have done all the hard work.

When you are a DIY person and like to tinker with LEGO :pir-laugh: make your own. Optical detection is >principally< dirt cheap. Operating such a boom with a servo is a bit of overkill. Any rubber band/timing action will do. But you need an Arduino (or the like) etc etc pp. It will take some time. But is total fun to do.

Best
Thorsten

I bought it and use it on my train track. It looks really good when it works. You can switch the boom stick out with a Lego in white (and put red / white tiles on, so it looks realistic.

However, it is not always the trains get the booms to automatically go up or down as they should, and sometimes I even get the booms to go up or down when I move past the field where the sensor is located, but I think it has something to do with the lighting conditions on my train track (direct sunlight and dark shadow). I haven't investigated the problem closer yet, so I believe it's a local problem and not a product problem. So based on my little experience a do recommend it.