Sign in to follow this  
Stuartn

[Review]: 60291 Family House

Hi all, this is my first review of a product on Eurobricks. I have decided to first review 60291: Family House. There has already been a video review of this same set on this forum, by Pchan1983, a much more experienced (and better) reviewer. It was his review that convinced me to get this set. I have taken notice of many things he pointed out in his review (such as the illusion of depth of the building from the L-shape).

This set comes with 5 numbered bags, plus a bag with a 16x16 road plates, a plain 8x16 road plates, a 16x16 LBG plate, a green 8x16 plate and two 6x16 LBG plates.

It contains four minifigures, a male with regular legs, a female with regular legs, a female with the short posable legs and a male with the child legs.

The outside:

IMG_8121

Overall, this is a very nice set. The clever L-shape on the bottom level gives depth without really having to increase the depth of the actual floors. The solar panels are very nicely done, they sit flush with the roof tiles and look very realistic. The colour scheme is exceptional, the medium nougat, trans-blue, white and dark blue, with the light green plants, complement each other nicely. The deck incorporates a simple but effective barbeque, which again, does the job, but could be improved.

IMG_8123

The road plate to me is a positive, it connects to the other road plates and works well enough. It is good to have a surface for the hockey equipment. My only issue is the LBG connections for the hockey equipment, when a 2x3 DBG tile and 1x2 DBG plate could've done the job.

IMG_8124

The first floor incorporates a kitchen and living room, the ninjago tie-in is fabulous and the kitchen is alright.

IMG_8125

From the rear the carport can be seen, nothing fancy but it does the job. I won't reject the trans-blue panel piece, but its use isn't really necessary since the above floors are open backed anyway.

IMG_8126

The first floor has bathroom and a playroom, I suppose. In the bathroom is a sticker with an unconvincing towel print and a sign reading 'wash your hands'. Hmmm, a tap might help with that. On the other side of teh wall is a sticker with drawings pegged on the wall, and space for a guitar, paintbrush and bucket and what I think is a speaker.

IMG_8127

The top floor has a bedroom with further ninjago tie-ins, such as a katana and a poster. It is the first appearance of this katana piece in City since 2013, when a gold piece featured in the museum break in. The radio and statue are also nice touches. It is obviously the male child minifigures room. The level of detail is appropriate for a city set. The window uses three trans-blue 1x2x1 bricks. A 1x2x3 brick would've been neater

IMG_8128

The outside incorporates a small tool rack, picnic table, adorned with a water bottle and hot dog, vegetable garden, a bath for the dog, a dog poo and a car charging station, which goes well with the solar panel. The picnic table is simple but effective and detailed. The garden is equally simple but looks good.

IMG_8129

The car is my least favourite part of the set. I feel that the blue and white colour combination, with the black rrof works well, but teh blue wheels are overkill. The windscreen piece works well too, but clashes with the roof and front of the car. The back of the canopy is not well done, nor is the detail and headlights on the front.

IMG_8131

The figures are stereotypical, but very well done in my opinion. Nothing is unique, except for the beanie and hair piece, but the two children's torsos are relatively new and only appear in two and three sets. The reddish brown male hair piece is not common also. The roller skate pieces and other hockey equipment is also a nice addition and completes the set, but a think a red helmet for the boy would be better, to match the skates. Using a 1x1 round tile for the puck is very clever.

The new labrador mould is fantastic. It joins its reddish brown cousin as two new dog figures for 2021. It could be a golden retriever, but it is used for a chocolate labrador in 60292, so I will call it a labrador. I am biased though, as the owner of a labrador, so I want it to be a labrador. I hope we get a black one soon. The dog poo piece is a clever addition.

In summary, this is a nicely detailed and complete set. I feel that the detail is adequate for a city set, but it could be improved. The car is the let down, but it is compensated by the figures and accessories.

I give it a four out of five rating.