kjm161

[MOC] Toy Story/Pixar Cabinet Automata

When the movie Toy Story 4 came out a cute and innovative promotional display appeared in near a mall in Tokyo. The playing shadows of the Toy Story characters could be seen through frosted glass cabinet doors. When the doors opened the toys “magically” reverted to inanimate objects. 
My MOC is the opposite, asking can toys come to life when someone’s watching? This is my Toy Story/Pixar Automata Cabinet where the toys can move when the doors are open and people are watching. There are two drawers that open as well as the central doors that reveal the music box interior with dancing Toy Story characters. The interior also  has power functions lighting.
In the Toy Story 4 movie there are lots of easter eggs in the Antique Store scenes that reference many of Pixar movies and short films. I have included many of my own easter eggs to some of these films in addition to the many of the main characters from the Toy Story films. 
The Automata function on the top of the cabinet has been modified from Teun de Wijs’s “Fisherman” and the music box component behind the cabinet doors is modified from pixeljunkie’s “Swan Lake Ballet”. Two Lego parts have been recoloured and the only non Lego part used is the music box which plays “Let It Snow” (Unfortunately, I didn’t have a “You’ve Got a Friend In Me” music box). 

The Pixar movies referenced are Coco, Ratatouille, Wall-E, Inside Out, Brave, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Lava, Monsters Inc., Boa, Cars, Up, A Bug’s Life, Bird on a Wire, La Luna, Geri’s Game, The Blue Umbrella, Partly Cloudy, Bounding, Presto, One Man Band, Lifted, Piper, The Good Dinosaur, Soul, Onward, and of course Luxor Jr.

More pictures and videos of the movements can be seen on my Flickr page. Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoy.

50842573277_131483b326_c.jpgToy Story Cabinet by Karen Metz, on Flickr

50841811433_c5ffdc615f_c.jpgOpening Cabinet by Karen Metz, on Flickr

50842623492_f66496f235.jpgTop Right Cabinet by Karen Metz, on Flickr

50842671366_4aef33b51a.jpgInterior Cabinet by Karen Metz, on Flickr

50842617392_776bf7f4c0.jpgTop Left Cabinet by Karen Metz, on Flickr

50842529256_44c2281c45.jpgLit interior cabinet by Karen Metz, on Flickr

50842532731_0a1b47698f.jpgRight Side Cabinet 2 by Karen Metz, on Flickr

1 hour ago, Modeltrainman said:

WOW! I love this! Found my favorite character right away!

Mine is Woody. I'm assuming your favorite character is Rex.