NikosSprocket

[MOC] - RC 3 Speed Transmission for Land Rover Defender using Powered-Up app.

I am building a RC version of the Lego Land Rover Defender (42119) and it will include a 3 speed sequential Transmission.

It will be operated from the Powered-Up Lego app. using 3 buttons and it includes a dial that shows the selected gear. I am using a Technic Hub (88012) and a Technic Medium Angular Motor (45603). The Remote Control has 3 buttons; up-shift, down-shift and neutral. When the application is started it calibrates the shifting axle to be at the "neutral" gear and sets the angle to 0. Pressing the up-shift button will engage the 1st gear, then if pressed again the 2nd until it reaches the 3rd gear. If you press the up-shift button more times it will not move the shifting mechanism but will make a "clanking" noise. Pressing the down-shift button will sequentially shift to the next lower gear until it gets to neutral where again will make a "clanking" noise trying to go lower. To the right of the 3 buttons there is a dial that indicates the gear is selected.

[Media]

IMG_0001-1s.jpg

Edited by NikosSprocket

I really like this gearbox and the way you use the Control+ elements. I am trying to create a gearbox with the Control+ Elements too, but I didn´t find any good solution for a gear Indicator. So I am really interested how you write the program for the gear indicator with the Powered Up App, could you explain how you created this? 

9 hours ago, Lukes_Brick_Studio said:

I really like this gearbox and the way you use the Control+ elements. I am trying to create a gearbox with the Control+ Elements too, but I didn´t find any good solution for a gear Indicator. So I am really interested how you write the program for the gear indicator with the Powered Up App, could you explain how you created this? 

Thank you!

I use a variable "a" for the gear number. Zero is for neutral, when you press the "up" button then the variable "a" becomes "a+1" and the button function rotates the gear selector 90 degrees. When you press  "down" button then the variable "a" becomes "a-1" and the button function rotates the gear selector -90 degrees. Then I use a PU dial to display variable "a".

I hope this helps.

Nikos

You are welcome!

As my RC Discovery project progresses I will put more updates. The plan is to use 4 motors; steering, power motor, gear motor and a center diff motor.

I think, I can fit all them and the hub! We will see....

Nikos

Edited by NikosSprocket

Adam don't be sorry!

Actually thank you for pointing out my ... misinformation so I don't get a call from Land Rover (Tata...) about their new top secret car Discovery lol.

Thanks again!

Nikos

PS. I am updating the name on all the sites :moar:

Edited by NikosSprocket

Hi @NikosSprocket 

I,m hoping you can help! I can see you have created a great little piece of coding for a gear selector identifier and I’ve been trying to figure one out without much success for my own MOC

Have you any coding suggestions on how you achieved it or would you be happy to share a screen shot showing the process of how you achieved it?

I'd be very grateful

Cheer, Legotyres

@Legotyres, did you try coding in powered up already. If so, please post a screenshot. The description of what the code does, was already provided. I assume you saw that and it did help you, did it? In any case i can help you too, if you wish so :)

Edited by Andman

Hi @Andman, @vascolp

I’ve changed the code so many times, I honestly cannot remember where I’m at anymore

this is similar to the original coding and adds 1 then stops when I hit button four. If I hit it again, nothing happens which tells me I need to store that number. 

if I press button 5, will display -1

when I’ve pressed one of the two two buttons, it flickers through 1 and -1 with me having to end the program  this looked to be because of the loop system as it stops when removed 

like I’ve said, it’s pickled my head and I’ve gone back to designing a 10 speed gearbox as it’s easier (plus I used to code PHP and cannot get my head around these block things)

here’s the coding

53325574760_b11c927afe_b.jpg53325351448_77a22cd68e_b.jpg

Cheers in advance for the help, Legotyres

Edited by Legotyres

Hi @Andman, @vascolp

From the video, I can see that some of the coding looks like this

a = 0

b = a + 1

c = ab + button or counter?

either way, it still returns a value of 1 and goes no further 

53324569267_f13cb070cd_b.jpg 

53325456696_fbb4e33ea6_b.jpg

53325931925_ef2142e383_b.jpg

Cheers again, Legotyres

Edited by Legotyres

So, I can see ab, just returns a value of 1. So the second storage isn’t that. I’ve tried the others and mod seems promising although using does nothing to the calculation 

Sometimes it’s easier to show what I’m trying to achieve, so here is a video clip of the controller. This is only first stage and as you can see the gear counter fails at 1

Cheers, Legotyres

Couple of videos of the car remote control designed to work with a gearbox

With help from Brian Madsen who kindly sent me a working counter, I’ve extended it so that it also works with Neutral

There is also a fine adjuster as I’ve noticed it moves slightly when shifting the gears, so to combat future coding, I thought I add it

I’ll create a PDF document with the coding so everyone can use it

A couple of videos for anyone who wishes to use the code before the PDF of what it working

The gearbox being used isn’t the correct one as that should be an 10 speed which should have 8 forward gears, neutral and reverse 

Enjoy, Legotyres

Edited by Legotyres