Sign in to follow this  
General Magma

Options for building a proper baseplate for larger MOCs, while keeping both the aesthetic and functionality in mind

I'm currently working on a MOC and it's going to be pretty large. I've been figuring out how to properly do the base, especially since there will be a stream of water that will flow through the MOC (no, not real water) 
and towards the edge, so I want to make sure it'll look good from the side as well. I have also thought of giving it the potential to be expanded later on, so I could go the modular route with regular baseplates, however
it might not fit the proportions of a 48x48 or even two 32x32s put together. I've also thought of using a raised base using lots of bricks, and then having a construction with smaller plates underneath it,
but then there'd be height added and best would be if the water were close to the ground. But I'll see about that.
Basically, I am looking for different techniques and ways to deal with this, so am curious to know if there is a topic somewhere or, better yet, an album of pictures showing various options
wherever it may be on the web so I can choose what would be the best option to go for here.

This is one thing I have not yet tinkered with before since most of my MOCs were small enough to stand on a bunch of plates,
or used no such bases at all or were builds with a short shelf time that were torn apart not long after their photoshoots, but this MOC is supposed to be durable. I want to keep it assembled and, as mentioned before, potentially expand it with
new sections and at least be able to pick it up and carry it around without the whole thing falling apart, so any ideas, suggestions and possibilities are welcome as the whole thing gets planned out.

Edited by General Magma

Well, MILS is very nice option. You can find instructions for some variations on L-gauge and use/adapt them as you prefer.

9 hours ago, zux said:

Well, MILS is very nice option. You can find instructions for some variations on L-gauge and use/adapt them as you prefer.

That's a really good one, thanks for the link - gonna see how I can integrate this for sure.

However one thing I also gotta keep in consideration is displayability, there has to be a way to make the edges/sides align more with what's on top instead of having holes and random brick colours.

Edited by General Magma

On 4/28/2020 at 7:43 PM, General Magma said:

That's a really good one, thanks for the link - gonna see how I can integrate this for sure.

However one thing I also gotta keep in consideration is displayability, there has to be a way to make the edges/sides align more with what's on top instead of having holes and random brick colours.

Probably easiest if you make "endpieces" that have closed sides at the visible edges. If youi want to expand in the future you just remove them