taratears

Octagon Angles Question.

I'm testing out an expanded octogon floor plan, but having trouble with angles. I figured to post an image of the practice run and see what ideas you all have.

Edited by taratears
Needed to delete image.

You might take a look at the instructions for the LEGO Ideas Tree House.  Those rooms had a fairly clever octagon - wedge plates for the larger octagon (the platforms) and then hinge bricks for the smaller octagon (the walls).

The Guilds of Historica forums are usually for the builds in the guilds themselves, so unless this is a work in progress, it's probably better in the Historic Themes forums, especially since they have more traffic than us right now.  As for an octagonal tower, the hinges are pretty useful for that, unless you have a ton of wedge pieces or those semi-macaroni corners (I forgot what they are actually called).

Thank you, to everyone. I'll test it all out. How do I move it to the correct place?

Edited by taratears
needed to ask

10 hours ago, taratears said:

How do I move it to the correct place?

Pretty sure a moderator would need to do that.  But I don't think you need to worry about it. :wink:  (But yeah, usually if you post something like this in the GoH forum you'd be a guild member and post in your guild's thread asking for opinions.  You should check out the guilds though if you haven't yet!)

Indeed, as @Kai NRG says, if you're interested in building with a story behind it, please come join us in the guilds!  It's a fun community and great place for feedback and getting experience building.

One of the major problems with octagonal building on the plates is how to face each side.  Without reorienting studs, you're left with the old corner castle pieces or stacking pieces like this:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6107#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

Those pieces are not only expensive and kind of ugly when stacked, but they don't allow for decoration or windows like if you had a normal stack of bricks.  Most people use the hinges, or hinge plates locked together to form an octagonal (or larger) base to provide some round features.  Derfel Cadern posted a great guide to building a medieval village here:

Down toward the bottom of the first page, he shows how to interlock the hinge plates to make a round tower.  You can use the same idea with longer connections to make an octagonal tower if you want.  This EB member has a slightly larger than octagonal tower, but you can see the effect of the larger hinge plates.

Thanks for the links, they are interesting. I think I may have to adjust my original plan, I was trying to figure out how to use a larger amount of the octagonal shape, but there's that size restriction due to only so many hinge plates can be set in a ring.