Sign in to follow this  
Paperinik77pk

[MOC] Lego 7810 XXL - Mark II

Hi all,

the 40 Years celebrative set of 7810 (plus forced home "holidays" :look:) inspired me again on getting back an old project, and rework it completely :laugh:

The old 7810 XXL was thought as a "narrow gauge" version of the 7810 and had a proprietary chassis. Here's a picture of the old model:

WP_20180628_21_59_57_Pro

It was abandoned after I realized the small PF battery box was literally drained after 20 minutes of running. This locomotive was using standard Lego tracks and was made after the 7720 XXL (now dismantled). I designed a newer version in Stud.io (featuring the "doubled wheels") some time ago, but I've never built it in the past...

7810xxl+7818assembly12vbkg

...until now! And here it is, the 7810 Mark II  is ready. With big PF battery box and rechargeable batteries :laugh:

Lego 7810 XXL - Mark II

As the older one, also the new version has an old  9v battery box inside the boiler, for the Seuthe N°99 smoke generator (I did not touch that part).

Connecting rods have been upgraded a bit, the cylinder were put in the right place to resemble a 12v conversion of the 7810.

I tried to recreate a copy of the original all-in one chassis - to keep the feeling of the original model :wink:

Lego 7810 XXL - Mark II

20200315_151238

A picture with its small cousins!

Lego 7810 XXL - Mark II

A little train with two custom wagons, based on LGB "brick" platforms...like the 112 XXL , also the 7810 runs on G scale 45mm track.

Lego 7810 XXL - Mark II

Lego 7810 XXL - Mark II

The 112 XXL and 7810 XXL together - Blue era vs Gray Era - a big match! The 112 is more powerful, due to its XXL motor with the choice of two final ratios.

The 7810 is based on L motor. It is quite fast, but cannot pull as much load (this was true also with real models).

Lego 7810 XXL - Mark II

The lever inside the cabin is used to control the battery box switch in forward/reverse. No remote controls are currently used, but as in the 112, there's a lot of room inside to fit an S-Brick or a PF infrared controller.  A big showel from Fabuland was finally used (I found it somewhere in my garage) :sweet:

Lego 7810 XXL - Mark II

Buffers are a bit tiny, but sincerely I did not find a better option for the moment (maybe normal red train wheels with some tape on them...but I'm not sure i like them :hmpf_bad:)

No headlights at the moment, but I'm thinking about some nice solution to fit them.

I hope you like this rework!

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

7 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Fantastic job! Perhaps trans clear boat studs for headlights?

2654.jpg

Thanks!!! Yes, the idea is to use these parts - I think in trans-yellow color! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

7810 Headlights

I am choosing whick kind of led I can use - this time I'd like to avoid the bluish PF lights and give a correct warm feel for the lights, like in the catalogues of the 80's!!! :wub:

Thanks @LEGO Train 12 Volts!!!

The work is ongoing - MARK III is under development (XL Motor and new battery box arrangement).

Bodies (I include also the 7710) are now completely redesigned to use always the same parts, there are new lamp holders (designed to fit inside a mini-led and to run cables inside the locomotive), the 9v battery box for smoke generator has been removed (working on small 12v batteries solution). And some cosmetic solutions were applied to make the locomotives look more like their smaller cousins.

7710 and 7810 XXL - MARK III

I am trying a fast solution to extract the battery box without detaching parts from the body (removing only the motor). It's a solution I am working on from some time (starting from the LXD2 in 1:22,5 scale). After all, a big toy must also be easy and practical to operate !!! :wink:

Edited by Paperinik77pk

2 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

I am trying a fast solution to extract the battery box without detaching parts from the body

Could you make the "shell" or part of it easily removable? If you are using the AAA battery box leaving the top unscrewed is also handy, but I suspect at this scale you are using the AA box.

On 3/22/2020 at 3:37 PM, zephyr1934 said:

Could you make the "shell" or part of it easily removable? If you are using the AAA battery box leaving the top unscrewed is also handy, but I suspect at this scale you are using the AA box.

Sorry for delay - I did not notice the post!  :sweet:

I use AA box, since these batteries last more with XXL an L motors. Here is the battery module, with control and unlocking system:

Fast Unlock Battery Box

The big yellow lever goes directly inside the locomotive's cabin and works as main switch. In this version it can operate only in one direction (forward). Backward operation is blocked by the pin and bushes in the middle of the control bar. The direction of the locomotive is then managed trough an an infrared receiver, a Sbrick , or a PF lever (as in 112 XXL).

If there's no space to mount such devices, and we want a simple operation mechanical switch for forward/reverse, I can simply remove the central pin with yellow bushes, and the lever is free to operate backwards.The locomotive in this case will be operated like an old toy, using the lever inside the cabin for forward/reverse action.

The unlocking system is easy - the "L" lever can be rotated slightly, so to free the bottom part of the battery.

On the other side two pins with axle keep the battery box in position, without blocking it. The control lever is also using the same pins, so it can be disconnected without too much effort.

Fast Unlock Battery Box

The "L" lever could be forced in closed position by a rubber band or something similar.

Now the 7810XXL is again dismantled to become the MARK III (...the Neverending Story...:wink:) and include this new battery solution.

Ciao!

Davide