Sign in to follow this  
Mechbuilds

[HELP] Semi truck front axle. (42043 chassis)

tQLhzDIl.jpg 

Basically i want a different style front axle that the solution on https://lego.vilvert.com/2017/01/04/42043b-advanced-rc/ 's.. 

The issue i'm having is that i want to use hubs instead of axle to attach the front tyres. 
The wheel will slide off the axle and wobble around. 

Is there an axle that could be attached to this frame that uses hubs and fits the servo there (or other servo solution)
I guess i could move the gearbox one stud further back since this would be an 4x2 setup. (4 rear wheel driven and 2 front wheel steered.) 

Help! 

Also i could do with a front axle that's attached with a turntable instead. (springless pendular suspension)
Since the rear axle will have suspension. 

11 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

The wheel will slide off the axle and wobble around. 

Why? If it really happens, put additional bush or something similar on that axle.

To help, at least some LDD is needed with existing axle and some part of frame to which it is atteched.

3 hours ago, Jurss said:

Why? If it really happens, put additional bush or something similar on that axle.

To help, at least some LDD is needed with existing axle and some part of frame to which it is atteched.

It's basically the same exact frame as TLG's Arocs 42043 B model. 
The fake motor is replaced with an L motor. But i can still whip up that LDD if you need it? 

Front axle can be either pendular and springless or it can have a suspension with those yellow hard springs. Both works.
I really want to use hubs instead of axles. 

EDIT:

https://bricksafe.com/pages/Mechbuilds/download-files

If i did it right, it should be there!

Edited by Mechbuilds

It's gonna be 13 studs between the tyres.. 

I think the only way to make it fit is to have a pendular axle.. 
Kinda stuck with this one.. Really wanna finish this truck. 

On 3/3/2020 at 11:42 AM, Mechbuilds said:

If i did it right, it should be there!

Working on it ...

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

Something with bad clearance

https://bricksafe.com/files/Jurss/visskas/Merc semi front chassis.lxf

I will work on something better later. Maybe this could work also for You as inspiration, and You will developed something better on your own

I might attach the axle to the chassis differently though, because the axle would be too low so the car would have a monster truck vibe to it. 
But yeah i want the center of the tyre to be at the same height as the yellow 3 long ping on that ball cup arm where it attaches to the frame. 
So basically 3-4 studs higher.. 

But your solution of having the servo in the middle like that works for this chassis. 
If you can improve upon this setup, can't wait to see what you come up with! 

It's a great start!  That sure is something i can work off of. 

What about changing it to a lego traditional independent front suspension?  I think this would help you a lot.  

When I tried to make 42043 RC, I too had a lot of trouble getting a servo attached properly with ample ground clearance.  I ended up redoing the entire front of the chassis to implement independent suspension.  

5 minutes ago, aminnich said:

What about changing it to a lego traditional independent front suspension?  I think this would help you a lot.  

When I tried to make 42043 RC, I too had a lot of trouble getting a servo attached properly with ample ground clearance.  I ended up redoing the entire front of the chassis to implement independent suspension.  

Already figured out how to make a pendular suspension for this using @Jurss's example. 
But i have a question: Is it okay to support the whole weight of this truck (approx lego arocs size and weight.)
On top of just 2 technic black studs? 

What about 1 stud in front and turn table at back? 
Basically removed the ball cup beams at the front and used the 3 long pin with hole as a pivot point. 
Works but not sure about the weight.. 

Update:

https://bricksafe.com/pages/Mechbuilds/download-files#

Made a second mockup of the front axle. I modified the connection near the hubs so the steering is as maximum as i can make it. Servo can turn 90 degrees left and right.

And i also added the correct height and spot where the axle should be when resting. 
But connecting it to the frame is hard. Any ideas?