Sign in to follow this  
cehnot

Tim Burton's 1989 Batmobile

Tim Burton created one of the most beautiful set and vehicle designs on screen in this film. The challenge for me is coming up with a version much smaller than my first version. The idea was to have a more slender profile, while maintaining the shape in LEGO parts. My older design on rebrickable is based on a 12 wide design, and a second model based on a 10 wide design. So many people have approached this car and I didn't want to make it look any of their designs. Lucas makes some of best vehicles in his Batman collection and each one is scaled at 1:43 perfectly matching 1 stud to every foot. I am always amazed how he does this with each vehicle. I work in a bit larger scale, 1:35-1:40 range. This gives me more flexibility and still feels in scale to other models out there. 

Like most my other vehicles this car features an internal structure. This time, I have tried to recreate the turbine engine as well as the front cylinder engine. This car does fit 1 minifig and has plenty of places to add on other features such as a grappling hook, turntable, gun turrets, and the side wings. 

With this said, I present to you my newest version of the 1989 car. 

49377492808_d1050f59df_c.jpgBatmobile 1989 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

49377491748_e8445ca73c_c.jpgBatmobile 1989 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

49377942786_ea75051391_c.jpgBatmobile 1989 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

49378142307_30ec0e9986_c.jpgBatmobile 1989 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

49377491293_ef48c073a7_c.jpgBatmobile 1989 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

49378142582_12f6934d1c_c.jpgBatmobile 1989 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

49377492568_a33ace98ec_c.jpgBatmobile 1989 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

49378141637_42c8662f1a_c.jpgBatmobile 1989 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

49377942351_5cff0e3d7e_c.jpgBatmobile 1989 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

49377942481_bef53e2110_c.jpgBatmobile 1989 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

49378141332_68b1299160_c.jpgBatmobile 1989 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

49378141487_e015c2d237_c.jpgBatmobile 1989 by Chris Ehnot, on Flickr

If you would like to build this model:
Check out my Studio Page and Download Link

Edited by cehnot

Going in I thought, “he knows we already have a great solid one of these...right?” 

What a sight this is though. It’s really quite different. I like all the features you have here that the minifig scale one doesn’t. While I didn’t notice until that top down shot, those pieces that are upside down are kinda odd, taking away from the smoothness of the car. And the fins are a bit too short, when comparing the real thing. Overall great job, you really made it your own. 

11 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Going in I thought, “he knows we already have a great solid one of these...right?” 

What a sight this is though. It’s really quite different. I like all the features you have here that the minifig scale one doesn’t. While I didn’t notice until that top down shot, those pieces that are upside down are kinda odd, taking away from the smoothness of the car. And the fins are a bit too short, when comparing the real thing. Overall great job, you really made it your own. 

Thanks.

I modeled my car off the Sideshow Hot Toys car proportions. The real car fins only add 11.5 inches to the body above the rear tail light. When you lay the car over the lego model it actually doesn't go back as far as you may think. I understand what you are saying. I think the fact I am using a cheese slope for my third fin makes it stick out too far and the fins look shorter. The blueprints online are not accurate. They were heavily modified during production and The Hot Toys car is The only accurate model since they took the specs off the production car. If you had another solution to the fin I would gladly swap it out. Ideally I need a curved slope that is 1x6. Another solution I wish I could figure out is the rear wheel placement. In order to fit it inside those slopes I needed to keep it half a stud forward. If LEGO had those 1x3 curved slopes with a stair step stud I could move the wheel. 

batmobile_lego_size_2019c.jpg

The wedge plates work okay flipped the other way as well, but it was flipped because I wanted that circular design on top. If they had all the wedge plates as tiles I wouldn't even consider this idea. The smooth tile effect could work if people used modified tiles or flip the side wall to fit a 1x4 tile, but then you lose the inner angle. If you had another solution I would be glad to try it. If we also had more slope options I would try those. Lucas used curved slopes to solve this issue and I would have tried a similar solution had these parts been available in tiles or regular slopes. I chose the top view to help determine my shape and parts. That wedge plate fits perfectly on the side panel and connects to the right angle I needed. 

Other people have spent a lot of time doing this car. Lucas created the best 21 stud long model. He makes all his cars equal 1 stud to a foot. I like his collection a lot. He crams a bunch of stuff into those models. I just like my larger scale a bit since I worked on my Delorean. That model made me decide the larger scale since I couldn't figure out how to get the car smaller than 15.5 studs long. Once I figured out it was about 1:35 to 1:40 scale I decided to model every vehicle to that proportion. 

Edited by cehnot