Sign in to follow this  
ks6349

Generally speaking, has Lego released most new sets of the year already?

By past experience, could Lego release new sets in the mid or late of a year? or do they usually release all new sets of the year on the shelf in early of a year e.g. January February?

I want to get some Police trucks but looks like there isn't any for this year. If I need to wait for a year long for the possibility then I will try to get some older sets of good deals.

Edited by ks6349

Brickset recently added a feature to see what month released what theme's sets :

https://brickset.com/browse/sets/byyear/

2019 Summer City sets released around June in Europe (August for US) , which included the Space subtheme , People Packs, Donut Shop, 4+ Garage and Fire Chief Truck : 

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-City/releasedin-EU-2019-06 (11 sets + 4-figure pack)

Then the Ski Resort / Advent Calendars released in September :

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-City/releasedin-EU-2019-09

Edited by TeriXeri

There are at least two police trucks available for this year's police wave. One comes with the police station and the other is on the police helicopter transport. Then there is a van with the police monster truck heist. 

While the new year definitely coincides with lots of new sets on a regular basis, that first wave won't be the only new sets you see in the next 12 months.  Traditionally January brings something new to the table for a wide range of themes and then a second or third wave hits for various individual themes staggered throughout the year (a summer wave of City sets, a few new Star Wars sets for May the 4th, assorted new items to freshen the shelves in October just ahead of holiday gift buying, etc.)  

If you're not impressed by anything you've seen thus far, don't despair; there have been plenty of years when I looked at the January line-up and thought to myself, "this is the year I'm going to be way under my Lego budget - I already own everything I wanted from last year and this new stuff does nothing for me."   Nine months later, I'm wondering how I'm going to explain the credit card bill to my wife because I loved everything they rolled out in late spring and summer.  

They call these releases waves for a reason; they just keep coming; sometimes there's a lull, but there's always something else queued up behind it.  Chances are, sooner or later something will tempt you.

1 hour ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

They call these releases waves for a reason; they just keep coming; sometimes there's a lull, but there's always something else queued up behind it.  Chances are, sooner or later something will tempt you.

Exactly this, and also sales could affect this a lot. I never buy sets at full retail price unless I know it's LEGO.com only (like the Chinese New Year sets) and even then wait for a giveaway/promo.

Most of my purchases are done online as big-discount places like Targets or Walmarts simply don't exist here, and many regular physical toy shops closed down.

Edited by TeriXeri

12 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Exactly this, and also sales could affect this a lot. I never buy sets at full retail price unless I know it's LEGO.com only (like the Chinese New Year sets) and even then wait for a giveaway/promo.

Most of my purchases are done online as big-discount places like Targets or Walmarts simply don't exist here, and many regular physical toy shops closed down.

Excuse me, what did you mean by "unless I know it's LEGO.com only" 

Chinese New Year sets only sold in LEGO.com and nowhere else??

In fact, I see it e.g. 80104 and 80105 are on the shelf of a lot of local toy shops (NOT lego shop)

5 hours ago, ks6349 said:

Excuse me, what did you mean by "unless I know it's LEGO.com only" 

Chinese New Year sets only sold in LEGO.com and nowhere else??

In fact, I see it e.g. 80104 and 80105 are on the shelf of a lot of local toy shops (NOT lego shop)

Those Chinese New Year sets are more widely distributed in the Asia/Pacific Market.

I see you are in Vietnam.

80101 - 80102 weren't even sold in Europe, and 80103 came months later.

There are very few shops here that sell those exclusive sets, and if they do, the price can be higher then LEGO.com, especially after it retires there.

If an exclusive set is new, it could take a few months for them to show up in other webshops beside LEGO themselves (I use a price tracking website).

More people buy products online here and many physical toy shops closed down (about 45% closed down in my country in the last 10 years, not just LEGO , all toys)

LEGO opening their own 2 physical brand stores here was nice however, as that offers more then just sets.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 1/9/2020 at 7:39 PM, TeriXeri said:

Those Chinese New Year sets are more widely distributed in the Asia/Pacific Market.

I see you are in Vietnam.

80101 - 80102 weren't even sold in Europe, and 80103 came months later.

There are very few shops here that sell those exclusive sets, and if they do, the price can be higher then LEGO.com, especially after it retires there.

If an exclusive set is new, it could take a few months for them to show up in other webshops beside LEGO themselves (I use a price tracking website).

More people buy products online here and many physical toy shops closed down (about 45% closed down in my country in the last 10 years, not just LEGO , all toys)

LEGO opening their own 2 physical brand stores here was nice however, as that offers more then just sets.

Yes a lot of physical toy shops closed here in my country too because of increasing salary and costs and it's even more protecting and cheaper buying on Amazon or other big shopping sites. Some small shops in Hong Kong/Taiwan even manipulates and swaps the bricks inside and cheat customers (A case happened in Hong Kong last year)

Price tracking website? Is it a site exclusively designed for tracking prices of Lego or a site that you can track prices of anything??

btw, luckily, I can get 80104 and 80105 easily here at prices approx. 20% lower than the marked prices on Lego.com

Edited by ks6349

On 1/8/2020 at 11:33 AM, Brandon Pea said:

Yeah! Like the racing cars. 

I'm obsessed with Black/white color combo race cars.  Little splashes of red here and there.