Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Well, this release is certainly not what lego expected. The leaks, the twins revealing the set in their TLG promo video, and now this... 

MandR got the Apocalypseburg set a few weeks early (which was also only distributed by Lego stores at first). He bought it from ebay if I remember correctly. That set had to have come from a store or store employee somewhere on the world (or it actually fell off a truck)

Just now, Metanoios91 said:

MandR got the Apocalypseburg set a few weeks early (which was also only distributed by Lego stores at first). He bought it from ebay if I remember correctly. That set had to have come from a store or store employee somewhere on the world (or it actually fell off a truck)

If I remember correctly (and I'm not really sure because I hated that review with a burning passion) it had a not-for-sale sticker, meaning a reviewer or something like that probably put it on Ebay

I think this is all calculated.  Tomorrow’s announcement is aimed at the general public.  Everything else, leaks, a store that sells before release, is for AFOLs.

Edited by Dimitri

1 minute ago, MaxHeadroom said:

It appears to be a bit deep but it is quite a small box. 

What is your frame of reference for the box size? There is no banana or tiny human for scale purposes on the pic :grin:

3 minutes ago, Surge said:

thank you! this reveal truly has been a failure

Then again, only a handfull of ultranerds have actually been following the leaks. Most people are still blissfully clueless.

We don’t even get a big box to gawk at? Cmon Lego give us somethin! ? (only half-joking)

this isnt really harry potter related, but I just noticed that the Frankenstein brickhead that leaked today is on that sign behind the set! I thought it was buckbeak:laugh_hard:

also it looks like the top of his head is cut off...

Edited by Surge

One thing I don’t understand- since the reveal is so close to the release date, DA hasn’t shown up in any magazines or promotions or anything. What is the strategy behind hiding this set from any or all marketing? This set is going to come and go as if nothing happened

Edited by Modal

6 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

What is your frame of reference for the box size? There is no banana or tiny human for scale purposes on the pic :grin:

The pick a brick wall behind it and the sheet of paper above it. I think a lot of my issues with the box come from how little space the actual set takes up. It seems like LEGO had one box size and desperately needed to somehow fit this set in it leading to the odd angle of the street add the vast amount of mostly empty street and sky space above and below the set. They really should've just used a shorter but longer box. 

why is the advent calendar not on the site yet? all the others ones are, its been purchased in stores, and the sign leads me to believe that it releases on the first

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

If I remember correctly (and I'm not really sure because I hated that review with a burning passion) it had a not-for-sale sticker, meaning a reviewer or something like that probably put it on Ebay

Checked the video again, there was no not-for-sale sticker and he shows all sides of the box in the beginning. He might have removed it before filming but he also doesn't mention it. You guys should let go off the belief that everyone on the earth is following instructions by some distant supervisor to the letter. This is a children`s toy. They don`t pull you in front of the International Court of Justice in the Hague, just because you interpreted an alotted time frame like September 1st a little bit differently

The job of a shop and its employees is to sell the product - not hide it from the customer. Although maybe this is some super effective and new way of selling your product - by not selling it. Theoretically you would never run out off stock and no customer would complain about the product that he doesn`t know exists

Edited by Metanoios91

The box looks similar to the Lego NES, which people were surprised how big it was. I think this pic just makes it look smaller than it is

16 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

The pick a brick wall behind it and the sheet of paper above it. I think a lot of my issues with the box come from how little space the actual set takes up. It seems like LEGO had one box size and desperately needed to somehow fit this set in it leading to the odd angle of the street add the vast amount of mostly empty street and sky space above and below the set. They really should've just used a shorter but longer box. 

You do realise that the distance to the camera (and the distance from the shelf to the pick a brick wall) matters drastically when you try to gather information about the scale of objects from a photograph. You can make the box look as big as the wall if you just move the camera a little bit closer to the box. The same way you can make a person the same size as the leaning tower of Pisa. The only way you can really tell how big something is on a photograph is when you have a reference object right next to the object in question.

The promotional poster could be DIN A3 or A4. There is no way to tell for sure how large that poster is

Edited by Metanoios91

3 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

DIN A3 or A4.

what does this mean?

Just now, Surge said:

what does this mean?

A3 and A4 are paper sizes

Just now, Surge said:

what does this mean?

We are talking about paper size in France which uses a different nomenclature for the formats than the freedom units you americans use.