Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Just now, sammy_zammy said:

Even if it is a part of the set, I'm not sure it'd take up as many pieces as you think - they don't have to build massive structures for it. It could literally be the dragon like the Hungarian Horntail (which only has 143 pieces), some track, a couple of open-side/top vaults and the cart. They could even cut the dragon and make it only based off Philospher's Stone.

I suppose that's true. I would much rather LEGO go with the  Philospher  Stone than Deathly Hallows for the sake of the number of pieces used and the fact that the Ironbelly would make a great set for next year.  If they did do the Ironbelly though wouldn't be bigger than the Horntail?  I thought that the Ironbelly in universe was  a lot bigger.

Just now, Icebrick said:

I suppose that's true. I would much rather LEGO go with the  Philospher  Stone than Deathly Hallows for the sake of the number of pieces used and the fact that the Ironbelly would make a great set for next year.  If they did do the Ironbelly though wouldn't be bigger than the Horntail?  I thought that the Ironbelly in universe was  a lot bigger.

Me too, I agree that the Ironbelly would be great as a separate set and then this set to just be some vaults from Philosopher's Stone. I also feel this would fit with the theme of this being a D2C (presumably) more than a playset.

About the size, again, I don't think Lego cares about continuity. It's not like the Hungarian Horntail was to scale.

Just now, Icebrick said:

In-universe maybe, but Lego proportions are far from accurate

Just now, sammy_zammy said:

About the size, again, I don't think Lego cares about continuity. It's not like the Hungarian Horntail was to scale.

Just now, Balrogofmorgoth said:

In-universe maybe, but Lego proportions are far from accurate

That's true. I would just hope though that there would be a difference in size  between the two even if it's not proportional.

On another note, I really hope we get a polybag this year. I’m sure there won’t be anything exclusive or terribly interesting in it, but they’re always nice to get anyway, and they’re fun to hunt for. I enjoyed the one in 2018 and bought about a dozen of them to army build those Gryffindor sweaters

22 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

On another note, I really hope we get a polybag this year.

You‘re in luck then, we will get one according to a recent leak :thumbup: I don‘t expect anything amazing, but if it‘s as good as the last one I‘ll be happy. Since that one was basically a remake of a 2010 polybag, I expect the new one to be a remake as well :classic: Potions and cauldrons anyone? :laugh:

5 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

You‘re in luck then, we will get one according to a recent leak :thumbup: I don‘t expect anything amazing, but if it‘s as good as the last one I‘ll be happy. Since that one was basically a remake of a 2010 polybag, I expect the new one to be a remake as well :classic: Potions and cauldrons anyone? :laugh:

Cauldrons bubble including flitwick and a frog from the choir :laugh:

Just now, Albert with an A said:

What do you think are the chances of getting all of Voldemort's horcruxes? We already have Tom Riddle's diary but what about the others?

I wouldn't be surprised if the cup is included in this year's Diagon Alley. If the underground vaults are included, it should be there too.

1 minute ago, Albert with an A said:

What do you think are the chances of getting all of Voldemort's horcruxes? We already have Tom Riddle's diary but what about the others?

we have nagini, we have the cup.

Just now, Albert with an A said:

Technically, we also already got Helga Hufflepuff's cup, Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem and Salazar Slytherin's locket in 71043, even though the former is a regular pearl gold cup and the latter two are just prints :laugh: Oh, and Nagini as well as Harry himself of course :tongue:

Just now, LEGOMotionStudios said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the cup is included in this year's Diagon Alley. If the underground vaults are included, it should be there too.

inb4 of the $400 cost of the set, $100 of that is 1000 goblets to simulate the multiplying of them :snicker:

Do we think there’ll be a GWP Harry Potter this time? I don’t usually buy from the Lego store unless it’s an exclusive, especially as I’ll probably finish buying 2018/19’s HP sets first, but if there’s a good promo I might have to!

1 hour ago, deskp said:

we have nagini, we have the cup.

I would hope we get a better cup at some point. Same with the diadem and locket. And Gryffindor’s sword for that matter, even though it isn’t a Horcrux. I think CMF accessories are the only way the Horcruxes will ever be properly represented 

37 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I think CMF accessories are the only way the Horcruxes will ever be properly represented 

I think the hufflepuff cup in set. is better represented than what the triwizard cup was in cmf

:head_back:

Just now, deskp said:

I think the hufflepuff cup in set. is better represented than what the triwizard cup was in cmf

At least its better then the goblet of fire that was in the Clock tower

Edited by Icebrick

3 minutes ago, LordVoldemort said:

The newest hint reaffirms my belief that the D2C is a micro scale Diagon alley, with micro interiors including the underground vault

I would bet almost anything it’s not microscale

On 4/12/2020 at 7:35 PM, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I would bet almost anything it’s not microscale

We shall see soon lol 

Edited by LordVoldemort

8 minutes ago, LordVoldemort said:

We shall see soon lol I hope it’s not

Kingnono did say that minifig collectors would love it, so it seems to center around figures, which tells me  it’s designed more as a large playset rather than a microscale display piece like Hogwarts. We’ll see I suppose. Although we’ll probably see all the regular sets first

13 hours ago, Icebrick said:

That's true. I would just hope though that there would be a difference in size  between the two even if it's not proportional.

If nothing else, the Iornbelly needs to be big enough for three minifigures to fit on its back. After all, what’s the play value of a Gringott’s dragon that the trio can’t make a daring escape on? :classic:

4 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Kingnono did say that minifig collectors would love it, so it seems to center around figures, which tells me  it’s designed more as a large playset rather than a microscale display piece like Hogwarts. We’ll see I suppose. Although we’ll probably see all the regular sets first

Yeah, and I also think that, would they put some great minifigures in a microscale set, minifigure collectors would be all but happy.

I don't think the set will be elevated though, as the pins hint at it being able to be reordered, making an underground section very hard to do. I see them just having a separate section with some roller coaster tracks, a few rocks and a vault, being able to connect to the bank itself from the side. Maybe it wouldn't look the greatest, but it would have some great play value for sure. Can even see the rails go around a place for the ironbelly. Although all of that would definitely take up a lot of the pieces, basically a second building worth of it. So I could see about 4 buildings max (counting Gringotts and the vaults as one). About $75,- a section would sound about right. Ofcourse this is all just speculation.

Edited by Huigberts Builds

5 hours ago, LordVoldemort said:

The newest hint reaffirms my belief that the D2C is a micro scale Diagon alley, with micro interiors including the underground vault

Kingnono said that the set has play functions, and they don't usually put them in a microscale set.

9 hours ago, Albert with an A said:

Tom Riddle's Diary - available (Dobby CMF)

Marvolo Gaunt's Ring - unavailable (could use LoTR ring mould or a new one)

Salazar Slytherin's Locket - partially available in Hogwarts D2C as a print on torso (could use necklace/medal mould or a new one)

Helga Hufflepuff's Cup - available in Hogwarts D2C as a generic piece (could use a new specific mould)

Rowena Ravenclaw's Diadem - partially available in Hogwarts D2C as a print on head (could use a Friends mould or a new one)

Nagini - available (Voldemort CMF or a book with 2019 Voldemort and Nagini)

Harry Potter - available (nearly every set)

14 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

I don't think the set will be elevated though, as the pins hint at it being able to be reordered, making an underground section very hard to do. I see them just having a separate section with some roller coaster tracks, a few rocks and a vault, being able to connect to the bank itself from the side. Maybe it wouldn't look the greatest, but it would have some great play value for sure. Can even see the rails go around a place for the ironbelly. Although all of that would definitely take up a lot of the pieces, basically a second building worth of it. So I could see about 4 buildings max (counting Gringotts and the vaults as one). About $75,- a section would sound about right. Ofcourse this is all just speculation.

I highly doubt that we’ll get an elevated street level either, but don’t assume that just because the set is said to have pins that the buildings will be able to be rearranged modular style. The Hogwarts D2C had pins after all, so it might mean nothing more than the fact that the set is very long. The only thing pins could truly be said to confirm is that the set won’t be another series of inaccurate unconnected buildings like the 2011 Diagon Alley. 

Also I think your estimate for the number of buildings is off. Remember, Gringotts will be the biggest building in the set by far, no matter how extensive the interior may or may not be. Most of the other shops are much smaller, with WWW being a bit larger but not as big as the bank. And only Gringotts, Ollivander’s and WWW (and maybe Flourish and Blott’s) really need interiors, which will probably mean a lot of fun colorful shops that are only the storefronts. I don’t see any of those buildings taking up nearly the budget of Gringotts, so I suspect that 4 buildings is a severe underestimate. 

58 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

This is exactly what I thought. Just have the underground section of Gringotts attach to the side of it. As I said to someone before though, I think you’re overestimating the number of pieces it would require. They could literally have a ~150 piece dragon like the Hungarian Horntail, a couple of small open top/side vaults, a small section of track and the cart. They could even just have a path between them and no track/cart. They certainly could make it thousands of pieces, but there’s no reason they have to. Like you say It almost certainly won’t be elevated, that would just be odd.

18 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

The only thing pins could truly be said to confirm is that the set won’t be another series of inaccurate unconnected buildings like the 2011 Diagon Alley.

Also I think your estimate for the number of buildings is off. Remember, Gringotts will be the biggest building in the set by far, no matter how extensive the interior may or may not be. Most of the other shops are much smaller, with WWW being a bit larger but not as big as the bank. And only Gringotts, Ollivander’s and WWW (and maybe Flourish and Blott’s) really need interiors, which will probably mean a lot of fun colorful shops that are only the storefronts. I don’t see any of those buildings taking up nearly the budget of Gringotts, so I suspect that 4 buildings is a severe underestimate. 

Yeah I’m super happy they’re likely gonna be connected. I hope that the next step of this is having a small section of street, just six or so studs wide.

I agree that there will likely be more than 4 buildings, Especially as the shops can be relatively small. In fact I’d argue the 2011 DA shops were too large compared to say Hogwarts Great Hall. And after all this set costs over double (with inflation, so I guess nowadays it would be roughly double) the 2011 sets. Although having said that Lego’s come on a long way since then with their detail, especially on interiors, so part counts have gone up in general, so I’d imagine today’s equivalent of the 2011 set would have more pieces and so cost a bit more. I think 5 shops is reasonable to expect and any more would be fantastic.

But I don’t think they’d make any shops storefront only unless they really go all out and include obscure shops. If a shop has an interior in the film, it will almost certainly have one in here. Lego love inside details and they know fans do too. I just don’t see it happening, and I’d much rather have fewer super detailed shops than loads of brick walls with shop names on them.

edit: now re read your post and you did say important shops would have interiors. But like I say I’d still rather interiors on all the shops - that way the “mini figure collectors that will love this” can set up scenes from the films / play with the people inside - after all that is what Lego is for!

Edited by sammy_zammy