LegoDW

Ferris Wheel 10247, worth getting now after retired?

Looking for some honest feedback.  I'm like many of you with too much Lego and running out of room to display.  That said, got my kids the pirate roller coaster and the big carousel this summer and we are adding an amusement park to our city.  Been eyeing the Ferris Wheel that was just retired 10247.  Having trouble determining if its really a good add to a Lego city. It looks huge!

Assuming a lot of members on this forum purchased this set.  As a few years have gone by since is first came out do you think it was a good purchase or do you have buyer regret?  I usually lean toward buyer regret then missing out on a set I'm on the fence on (hence the too much Lego issue).  Looking for some feedback before we make the call on getting/passing on this one.

I thought it was a pretty cool addition to the fairgrounds.  It does dominate the landscape, though, being significantly taller than most modulars.  If you look on YouTube at people's cities that have the ferris wheel, it's very obvious and kind of sticks out, but if you look at the eye of London, that's not unrealistic.  I usually have non-buyer's remorse (i.e., feel bad I missed out on not buying a set), so I usually wind up with too much Lego like you.  You can always keep it torn down unless you want to display it, however.  I would also recommend buying the power functions that go with it.

Thank you for your thoughts.  Agree if you are displaying the set, power functions is a must.  We are leaning more toward adding it to our city.

I was able to get it for relatively cheaply (~200$). Like you, I have way to much Lego and pull the trigger on sets as soon as they are in my price range.

TBH though, I think the Ferris Wheel looks better than the carousel in terms of size. Usually (IRL) a FW will be a very tall structure to overlook a city. I like the Carousel but always found it too big for a city layout. So in terms of size, imho the FW looks better than the carousel.

I have this set, and yes, next to the modulars, it’s a large wheel.  If you’re looking at a theme park, then the rollercoaster will dwarf it, and along with the carousel and pirate coaster, it’ll be fine.  You’ll also be wanting the UFO whirler thing too, I guess..