5150 Lego

Any Formula 1 racing fans out there?

(a Ferrari spokesman explained:) According to the 2010 rule, it would have been legit (unlike last year) if it was any lap but the last one.

As for Button's engine, some say his pit men made a mistake leaving a "protection" on the coolers that should have been removed before the race started. If it wasn't for the safety car, higher speed would have allowed the cooling system to work (and they could have removed the "thing" at the pit stop).

What about Barrichello? He said he threw away the steering wheel because he was in a hurry to leave is car. It looked a lot like frustration to me (and the Italian commentators).

As for the race, lots of emotions again, like most of the GPs this year.

Wow, lots of drama during the last 20 laps or so. :oh:

I'm not sure what to think of the collision between Webber and Vettel, there was definitely some poor decision making. I am however happy to see Hamilton take first as a result.

Both Webber and Massa have signed new contracts.

I guess that ensures that Kubica will stay with Renault for another season :wub:

Race on this weekend :grin:

I'm really looking forward to the race this weekend. I feel very guilty that I did not attempt to pick up some tickets for the event a long time ago. From where I live, it's only around a 5 hour train ride, or 7 hour drive to Montreal. Perhaps sometime in the future I'll have to plan a nice little weekend getaway for some grand prix action. :wub:

Nice to see Alonso so close behind Vettel during 2nd practice. I'd like to see him do well this weekend. Here's to a great qualifying session for everyone tomorrow! :thumbup:

Yup - Montreal will prove to be a very intense race.

Shame on you for not getting any tickets :tongue:

Great qualifying today!

Hurray for Hamilton getting pole position. He was certainly fast, and I hope he manages to have a fantastic race tomorrow (not getting passed at the start of the race, or crashing at any point).

Not too surprising to see Webber and Vettel take 2nd and 3rd. As much as I'd like to see someone other than those two take first place in the race, I'd rather it's not a result of them crashing into each other again.

Very happy to see Alonso in 4th, hopefully he puts up a good fight. Also, a special mention to Liuzzi - a brilliant qualifying session for him.

It's been rainy across this part of the country, and it looks like the weather could potentially be a factor in the race tomorrow. If it rains, things sure could get even more interesting.

:sweet:

If it doesn't rain then Hamilton is screwed.

He did his fastest lap on soft tyres and they wear down after 5-6 rounds.

And since he has to start on the tyres he did the fastest lap in, then he'd better hope for rain, so that he can start on wets and avoid pitting after 5 laps.

At least that's how I saw it.

I think that his driving style suits Montreal well.

It's hard getting heat into the tyres and he certainly got those tyres warm unlike Button :tongue:

Wow! What a race! (Wish I had been there....)

So no rain, in fact, excellent weather. Nice to see. :thumbup:

Loads of contact during the first corner of the race. I was disappointed to see Liuzzi to take such a beating and lose so many places considering where he started on the grid. Quite an unpredictable race though with all those pits to change tires - very fun to watch.

Glad to see Hamilton manage to take first. I was almost certain his tires would cost him the race (a number of the others had very beat up tires at the end of the race too). I would have liked to have seen Alonso finish 2nd, but Button managed to sneak past him.

The top ten was a bit more mixed up at the end of the race than it often is, so it was nice to see some of those other drivers and teams get a couple of points.

And what about Schumacher? His driving seemed very questionable.

From Formula1.com

The FIA’s World Motor Sport Council has agreed a number of significant changes to the Formula One regulations. Among them are a new single tyre supplier, aerodynamic revisions designed to boost overtaking, a ban on F-ducts, and the return of a 107% qualifying rule.

Pirelli will take over as the sport’s sole tyre supplier from 2011, following Bridgestone’s decision to withdraw at the end of this season. The Italian company will provide all teams with rubber for the next three years, in compliance with existing F1 sporting and technical regulations.

Under new moveable bodywork regulations for next season, drivers will be able to adjust the rear wing from the cockpit as soon as they are two laps into the race. However, the system’s availability will be electronically controlled and it will only be activated when a driver is less than one second behind another at pre-determined points on the track. The system will then be deactivated once the driver brakes. It will be available at all times throughout practice and qualifying.

In a move that could frighten one or two of the new teams, next year any driver not setting a qualifying time within 107% of the fastest Q1 lap will not be permitted to race. Stewards, however, will have the power to grant exceptions in extenuating circumstances, such as where a driver has recorded a suitable time in a previous practice session.

Several other measures have been brought in with immediate effect. Following the late-race confusion at Monaco, where Michael Schumacher passed Fernando Alonso, the safety-car rules have been clarified. No overtaking is allowed if the safety car is on track on the final lap.

And following the spectacle of Lewis Hamilton pushing his fuel-light McLaren back to the pits at the end of Montreal qualifying, new rules state that cars required to give a post-session fuel sample must arrive back in pit lane under their own power.

Mmmm Pirelli :wub:

And that 107% rule is surely going to force the newcomers to up their performance or get bent.

I'm glad that one is added - nothing worse than those slowmotion racers breaking the race into bits with blue flags from lap 10 :sceptic:

Way to go Kobayashi! Nice to see him not only finish a race but also have a pretty respectable result in 7th place. It will be interesting to see is any penalties end up being given out as Kobayashi could potentially end up in 3rd place.

It really was not Webber's day. :sceptic: Not only did he have a terrible start, but that accident was brutal. Sure Kovalainen was the much slower car and should have moved out of the way more quickly, but I really think Webber could have done a better job trying to go around him instead of straight into the back of his car. In any case, I'm glad to see that Webber was not badly injured.

Ferrari really had poor luck this weekend. Alonso and Massa both had decent grid positions, but that safety car ruined their day.

What about Hamilton? It's not his fault, but I can't understand why did it take so much time to the Judges to decide what to do with him, so that the penalty had no influence on his race.

Kobayashi had a great race; Ferrari was caught in the SC trap, but Alonso was not on his best day since he couldn't do much against the Toro Rosso he was trailing and Koba himself who took advantage of the fresh tyres.

Webber's crash was terrible and miraculous, for how he was unhurt.

What a race!

A shame to see Kubica having to retire :thumbdown:

Another horrible race for Vettel - puncture after touching with Hamilton threw him waaay back - though he managed to finish 7th :thumbup:

Nice drive from 14th to 4th by Button - he really knows how to take care of his rubber and make the most of it.

Webber was undefeatable and drove like he had the Devil on his tail :laugh:

Hamilton proved that he's gotten older and better than ever :thumbup:

Now all we need is Kimi with Renault or RBR next year (the latter would hopefully push Webber to Renault :wub:).

I missed the race when it was live, but I caught some of the replay (though it was on during the Spain/Netherlands match, so much channel switching was needed :wacko: ).

Vettel really got dealt a bad hand at the start of the race. That was one heck of a comeback to make it into 7th (though the safety car really helped him a lot).

Things only went from bad to worse for Alonso. With his strong qualifying I was hoping he'd get lots of points during the race. But alas I believe he was penalized wrongly for having to cut that corner and then a series of unfortunate events only put him in an even worse position.

Kubica was going strong, so I was disappointed to see him have to retire. I see him pulling in lots of points over the second half of the season.

Wish I had gotten to see more than just bits and pieces of the race, seems like it was a good one. :thumbup:

Things only went from bad to worse for Alonso. With his strong qualifying I was hoping he'd get lots of points during the race. But alas I believe he was penalized wrongly for having to cut that corner and then a series of unfortunate events only put him in an even worse position.

Not wrongfully, he should have let Kubica pass him - he would eventually have overtaken him, especially since the Renault had a driveshaft problem that forced Kubica to retire.

Sadly Alonso's penalty hit him as the SC entered the scene and that totally ruined his race.

I'd love to see Alonso in the top3 when the season is over.

He's the best driver in my opinion, but the Ferrari isn't strong enough this year.

Nicely done Ferrari! While I like to see Alonso finally pick up a victory, I was hoping that Massa would get to stay out front the whole race. In any case, great driving by both of them - hopefully they can remain this competitive throughout the rest of the season.

Good for Vettel being able to keep up for the duration of the race. Those top three really left everyone else in the dust!

Overall, a pretty clean and enjoyable race.

It did smell like a team-order when Massa let Alonso pass him.

But I can fully understand such a decision.

Renault did well - they're getting good at being the number four team :grin:

Petrov should have fought a little harder to pass the Mercedes, but his work is ok.

The updated Drivers' Standing is like this:

01 Lewis Hamilton 157

02 Jenson Button 143

03 Mark Webber 136

04 Sebastian Vettel 136

05 Fernando Alonso 123

06 Nico Rosberg 94

07 Robert Kubica 89

08 Felipe Massa 85

09 Michael Schumacher 38

10 Adrian Sutil 35

11 Rubens Barrichello 29

12 Kamui Kobayashi 15

13 Vitantonio Liuzzi 12

14 Vitaly Petrov 7

15 Sebastien Buemi 7

The top is still pretty close and hopefully Kubica will improve his score and grab 6th place :wub:

Ferrari was fined 100.000 USD, because it was too evident it was a pit decision to have Massa been overtaken so easily. Yet it would have been stupid to throw away such a chance for a "double" (is that the English word for pilots from the same team finishing 1st and 2nd?)

And, quite a boring race, compared to those we've seen before.

Nicely done Ferrari! While I like to see Alonso finally pick up a victory, I was hoping that Massa would get to stay out front the whole race. In any case, great driving by both of them - hopefully they can remain this competitive throughout the rest of the season.

Good for Vettel being able to keep up for the duration of the race. Those top three really left everyone else in the dust!

Overall, a pretty clean and enjoyable race.

What?? Are you kidding me? "Nicely done?" "Clean race?" Is this how you honestly feel? Ferrari blatantly insulted the fans and general public with their obvious team orders. This was anything but clean.

Now as we all know, team orders are nothing new in F1, but for the most part they've always been very subtle. And in the events that they were more evident than others, it was done late in the season when there was only one driver fighting for the championship. While still wrong, it was more acceptable to turn a blind eye in a situation like that.

This "win" really isn't Alonso's. This just shows his true colors. If he's as great a driver as he makes himself out to be, then he should have overtaken Massa. But no.. He needed the pit lane to get him by.

Personally, I think the $100,000 fine was to little. They really should have been stripped of points. Though it seems that there is still a posibilty of this since the case has been handed over to the FIA court. We'll see what happens.

Edited by Munkay

What?

How can this be Alonso's fault?

Massa slowed down on order from his own technician and Alonso overtook him.

I fail to see why this should make Alonso look bad.

It surely makes Ferrari look bad, as bad as when they told Rubens to let Schumi pass just before the chequered flag.

Ferrari has been fined, end of story - paying 100000USD for that stunt will surely hurt and prove a point :laugh:

The cynic in me wonders if the fine will be paid by the winnings from a Ferrari bet of Alonso to finish ahead of Massa? $100,000 US is a drop in the ocean for a big team like Ferrari I would have thought

What?? Are you kidding me? "Nicely done?" "Clean race?" Is this how you honestly feel? Ferrari blatantly insulted the fans and general public with their obvious team orders. This was anything but clean.

Sorry, I guess it's easy to misunderstand my use of the word 'clean'. I meant it in a much more literal sense, as in there were relatively few accidents, there was not any rain and so cars were able to stay on the track without too much difficulty, there was a normal amount of pit stops for tire changes (unlike in Canada when most teams had top stop 3-5 times).

Also, Ferrari has a car that is much more competitive now, hence the 'well done'.

I don't have anything against the fine, it was pretty obvious what the team did, and as KimT said - hopefully it will dissuade teams from doing that more in the future.

What?

How can this be Alonso's fault?

Massa slowed down on order from his own technician and Alonso overtook him.

I fail to see why this should make Alonso look bad.

It surely makes Ferrari look bad, as bad as when they told Rubens to let Schumi pass just before the chequered flag.

Ferrari has been fined, end of story - paying 100000USD for that stunt will surely hurt and prove a point :laugh:

Alonso had made a couple radio transmissions early on in the race while being stuck behind Massa. One of which was "This is ridiculous; I'm being held up." And one where he specifically says "I'm faster than Massa;.. He's holding me up."

While I do agree that this hurts Ferrari as a whole more than individual drivers, the whole thing started by Alonso complaining that he was the faster car. I still concede, that if he was the faster car, then he should have over taken his team mate. Not asked for assistance from the Pit wall. So yes, this does make Alonso look bad.

And its not the end of the story. Chances are more fines are going to be handed out, and hopefully a grid position or two taken away.

Sorry, I guess it's easy to misunderstand my use of the word 'clean'. I meant it in a much more literal sense, as in there were relatively few accidents, there was not any rain and so cars were able to stay on the track without too much difficulty, there was a normal amount of pit stops for tire changes (unlike in Canada when most teams had top stop 3-5 times).

Also, Ferrari has a car that is much more competitive now, hence the 'well done'.

I don't have anything against the fine, it was pretty obvious what the team did, and as KimT said - hopefully it will dissuade teams from doing that more in the future.

Oh, ok. Sorry about that mate. Thanks for the clarification.

And its not the end of the story. Chances are more fines are going to be handed out, and hopefully a grid position or two taken away.

Yup, let's wait for the FIA to review the case. :laugh:

I still fail to see Alonso's fault in this.

He may have said that he was faster and that it was annoying to be behind Massa, but that doesn't place the fault on him.

It solely lies with the pit wall and Mr D himself :tongue:

Luckily this takes away focus from Red Bull's Webber & Vettel.

Ah well, only a little week or so before it all kicks in again.

I hope Renault will prove a little stronger and mash those Mercedes into pulp :devil:

I still fail to see Alonso's fault in this.

He may have said that he was faster and that it was annoying to be behind Massa, but that doesn't place the fault on him.

It solely lies with the pit wall and Mr D himself :tongue:

Sure it does. Had he just raced his race like any driver would and not raised his fist to to team mate for supposedly being slower than him, than this whole thing never would have come about. Its one thing to voice your frustration to yourself while driving, but to send a radio transmission (a public one at that) that your team mate is holding you up, is a clear cut message that your asking for help from the pit wall. So i stand by that Alonso did have a part in this.

Its all good though. I was getting tired of always hereing about Red Bull and thier drama. :tongue:

Its all good though. I was getting tired of always hereing about Red Bull and thier drama. :tongue:

Indeed :laugh:

And even Vettel is a little happy that focus has changed to Ferrari.

Best of luck to all this weekend :wub: