Rockstaremcee

Thoughts on Non-Lego Components/Accessories i.e. BrickWarriors

On 6/30/2019 at 1:17 AM, Aine said:

SW stands for Star Wars. Bricklink finds 232 search results for "helmet sw", but only 16 results for "helmet castle". Granted, this isn't the best way how to find the needed helm, and lots of them may go unnoticed due to search engine failure, but it's still significant. Even if you look for all kinds of "helmet Roman" or "helmet gladiator", it's still clear that Castle doesn't get that much attention as SW.

I would gladly pay for the vintage 1984-1993 shields, if there weren't three troubles with them: the state of them in general, the state of golden prints specifically, and the incoherent heraldics. Take a look at any faction from the days of old, and you'll realize that there is a level of inconsistency that you may (or may not) dislike. I know that it's about color schemes, I know that Early Middle Ages heraldics was far from set in stone, and i know that I'm talking about children's toy, but still, if I pay 2 USD for a tiny piece of plastic, I'd rather be happy with the purchase.

The official LEGO animals, and the level of details are in fact the same trouble. In past years (decades?), LEGO creates more detailed, more realistic moldings. They have reasons for doing that (see the reasoning for the new horse), and they seem to have success with this policy. I mostly like what they do, but my issue is that I'm trying to make a vintage collection with only a superficial touch of modernity, and this isn't that easy as I thought it to be. Considering the prices of lego animals, the way how you buy them piece by piece from BL, this isn't funny. I'd rather have 4 cheaper and nicer cows from one seller, than the more expensive and less aesthetically pleasing ones, while paying four times the postage fees.

Thanks for the clarification on SW.  Now that Disney owns SW I'm sure it will keep pumping $ into the LEGO line - however those arrangements work. I know many of us wish there was more attention towards Castle.  

I have noticed the inconsistencies.  And I totally agree, whether $2 or $200, I want to be happy with what I buy.

I see your issue better with your specific aim of a vintage castle collection.  At least having clear parameters for what you want prevents you from buying everything!

On 6/30/2019 at 10:25 AM, Aanchir said:

I wouldn't mind higher prices on Castle sets since they've been stagnant for a while now, while other themes like Ninjago, City, and Friends have achieved super impressive builds by not limiting their price points so much. But I'd rather if any price hikes went mostly towards improved builds, and not just towards overly specific new molds. Particularly when so many great historic molds have shown up in the CMF series, but have not yet been repurposed to a wider extent in mainstream historic and fantasy themes.

I feel like perhaps I'd feel more warmly about customizers filling the void if THEIR customs tended to be as versatile as a lot of official LEGO headgear is. But a lot of it is similar to LEGO's licensed theme headgear in that it doesn't really fire up my imagination for more varied applications beyond the particular uses the designer had in mind. Because of their greater ability (and greater sales incentive) from producin...

I would love to see sets involving lots of repurposed CMF pieces!

Spot on, the versatility is what makes LEGO the amazing product is it.  Aiming to match this versatility would be a huge advantage to any brand.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:44 AM, Thrash said:

I can indeed!  All BrickWarriors pieces are made from ABS plastic.  The only difference between our parts and other companies' (and thus the difference in feel) is that we chose more of a matte finish while some others went for a shiny finish.

I hope you are getting some usual feedback here from this.  It's awesome that you are involved in the online community!

I’ve bought some third party stuff. Some good, some bad.

Lego has an aesthetic that can be hard to nail. Even more difficult is the fact that those drawn to fantasy are usually also drawn to a different style. Basically, those who are BEST at fantasy art tend not to do Lego-art very well.

I will say, brickwarriors have some parts that fit exceptionally well.

Many of their faces are very tough to tell apart from Lego. If only they’d offer them separate...

Also, I would pay ridiculous amounts for good 18th century miter cap (even more $$ to have a white wig underneath) and cuirassier helmet/breastplate.

Edited by TomSkippy

14 hours ago, TomSkippy said:

Lego has an aesthetic that can be hard to nail. Even more difficult is the fact that those drawn to fantasy are usually also drawn to a different style. Basically, those who are BEST at fantasy art tend not to do Lego-art very well. 

There are definitely exceptions to that, though! One in particular that springs to mind is Wes Talbott, who has a rich portfolio of fantasy illustrations, but also worked on LEGO concepts and illustrations (including two Legend of Zelda projects for LEGO Ideas) before joining the LEGO Group as a designer who has worked on 19 sets from themes such as LEGO Elves, LEGO Ideas, The LEGO Movie 2, and LEGO Friends!

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

There are definitely exceptions to that, though! One in particular that springs to mind is Wes Talbott, who has a rich portfolio of fantasy illustrations, but also worked on LEGO concepts and illustrations (including two Legend of Zelda projects for LEGO Ideas) before joining the LEGO Group as a designer who has worked on 19 sets from themes such as LEGO Elves, LEGO Ideas, The LEGO Movie 2, and LEGO Friends!

Totally agree. Just limits the pool a bit