TheL390Man

Corner Modular Conundrum

Hi everyone,

I’ve recently been building a modular building MOC on LDD and have been left with an awkward corner to fill. I’ve come up with a solution which I am very pleased with, but it requires one stud to be exposed on the outside.

I’ve been thinking over what to put on this corner for a couple of days now. BB has the clock and FB and GE both feature flags, but what else can I put there? A shop sign wouldn’t really work and I don’t want to repeat the flag or clock from the official sets.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I’ve also attached an image below of the corner I’m working with:

Screen%20Shot%202019-05-30%20at%2021.51.18.png

Many thanks,
TheL390Man :classic:

There are other architectural embellishments out there. Statues, stone features in interesting shapes (Like shields etc) or even unusual patterns of tiling or an old sign/symbol related to the historic use of the building.

When I am sketching out a modular (forever planning, never committing to one idea) I want to think of a history for the building. From when it was built up to the era it is present in for the MOC. That way, I can make the fabric reflect that.

That, or go out into a city/town that has been around a few centuries and take a look at the buildings. Edwardian, Victorian and buildings from the 1910's and 20's have visible features even if there is a lot of modern junk plastered on.

13 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

Statues, stone features in interesting shapes (Like shields etc) or even unusual patterns of tiling or an old sign/symbol related to the historic use of the building.

Thanks for your suggestions @Peppermint_M!

I've tried a shield and it didn't quite fit aesthetically, there's a statue on the lower floor.

Screen%20Shot%202019-05-30%20at%2023.11.47.png

I'll try a 'historic sign' of some sort when I get a chance, but I'm not sure it would quite work with the aesthetics of the building.

Do you think it would look OK without anything (just what's shown above) ?

Thanks again for your suggestions :thumbup:

I like it as it currently is.

But thinking from what Peppermint_M suggested, I wonder if there is a way to rig the CMF 14 Gargoyle in there if you had one, or a way to build a small brick built one.

22 hours ago, tafkatb said:

A hanging planter, maybe?

Thanks for the inspiration, @tafkatb 

Unfortunately I couldn't get it to look quite right, but I will be including hanging baskets elsewhere in the build!

20 hours ago, Bludchylde said:

I like it as it currently is.

Thanks for your opinion @Bludchylde - I came up with a solution that is very similar to how it was, just a bit smoother, so thanks for the inspiration. In terms of a gargoyle, I didn't want the put another minifig on as there's already one just below - but I've already had a good idea as to how I could fit it somewhere else in the MOC... :wink: :thumbup:

Below is the solution that I eventually settled with by the way :classic:

Screen%20Shot%202019-05-31%20at%2015.18.

Thanks again for all your advice!

8 hours ago, Bludchylde said:

I like how it turned out and can't wait to see how you implement the gargoyle suggestion.

Thank you! I'm thinking of using them for the roof, but they might have to wait for another build (I still can't decide, plus, I'm still designing the lower floors.)

Thanks again for your suggestion :thumbup:

Edited by TheL390Man