Sign in to follow this  
Playwell Bricks

[MOC] Lord of the Rings - The Argonath

Hi everyone,

I have been working on a commission for this iconic scene from LOTR for the past three months. It is finally done :D

It came in at just over 6000pcs and stands 36 cm high, 41 cm wide, 43 cm long.

I am very pleased the client had the confidence in me to do this build. I can't wait to order the bricks in and build it IRL.

More pictures can be found on my Flickr feed https://www.flickr.com/photos/playwell_bricks/

I hope you enjoy it :D

46570762535_7e15ae3cfd_o_d.png

Edited by Playwell Bricks

That is truly wondrous. If that were a set, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Thank you, I am in talks with the client about do just that. I think the first stop will be submitting it to Lego Ideas and see how it does there.

Edited by Playwell Bricks

You have done a great job on the shapes of the sculptures. :thumbup: :classic:

I like the use of wedge plates in the rocks and details under the landscape.

20 hours ago, Playwell Bricks said:

Thank you, I am in talks with the client about do just that. I think the first stop will be submitting it to Lego Ideas and see how it does there.

Shayd DeGrai's got about halfway some years back, but was at an even bigger scale.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/30766256-e115-4762-96a9-4a878d63d5db

I like the bodies but I'm not keen on the heads.  I think they would need some improvement, especially the necks.

@sander1992 Thank you! The use of the wedge plates was a eureka moment when I was looking at Emil Lide's wedge plate terraces. I figured I could do the same but have them placed vertically instead and use slopes to create a realistic looking mountainside.

@MAB Thanks for the feedback :) I did try a few different methods for the heads. This was the best I could find that was structurally sound, while keeping the design I wanted for the faces.

This is fantastic. LOTR was the greatest Lego theme that ever was. Such a tragedy how they handled it. Imagine the D2C possibilities if the theme had continued.