Sign in to follow this  
Redhead1982

MOC Parrot mosaic

I know I was rather inactive for much too long, but I did spend a lot of my time for different LEGO activities. One of them was this parrot as a mosaic. 

44979862334_ae17c2598d_z.jpg

I found a picture of a parrot online and uploaded it to Bricklink's Mosaick tool to generate instructions. Before deciding to build a parrot, I played around with many other options (such as autoportrait, city skylines, various animals), and spend much more time deciding on the motif than final building. The tiles are stuck to a 48x48 baseplate, and the baseplate can be put on the stand I build mostly from Technic bricks. The stand is stable, but wouldn't stand strong wings. Another problem is also the flexibility of the 48x48 baseplate. When I moved the baseplate around the flat (from one room to the other), some of the tiles lifted from the plate slightly.

45653850502_6cef445740_n.jpg

If you're interested, here's a few of the WIP photos showing the progress. Once I got all the extra tiles needed, the building was pretty straightforward.

30764090217_90c92a082b.jpg

44790474095_51a220a871.jpg

This was my first mosaic, and I enjoyed designing and building it a lot. I'm interested in trying different motifs, so I'd love to hear from more experienced builders any tips and tricks about a mosaic building.

Edit: Here's the original photo of the parrot (not mine, couldn't find the original source).

parrot.jpg

The body of the parrot looks great, but the head doesn't look quite right.  Is it looking towards the viewer and therefore missing a pupil in the eye on the left?

Also, I think the mix of colours (maybe just the reds or oranges?) in the background distract the eye.  I think more muted tones in the background would make the parrot stand out more.

Ps. This comes from zero experience with mosaics, so feel free to ignore!!

9 hours ago, Kristel said:

Ps. This comes from zero experience with mosaics, so feel free to ignore!!

I'm totally ignoring you, Kristel. :devil::grin:

Actually, I'm glad you commented on the position of the head. I added the photo I based the mosaic on, so it's a bit easier to see the parrot's posture. One of the problems I had was to decided whether to use plates, tiles or bricks. The color pallette varies between these parts, and I didn't want to splurge out on some rare parts, so I did the compromise on using the tiles, which I had plenty in various colours. That's exactly the point I hoped would be raised by the experienced mosaic builders, to hear how they would go about. I actually spent more time searching for and deciding which photo to actually use, to find a photo with a similar colour scheme to LEGO palette.