jamesster

LEGO Cube - Android, iOS, and PC sandbox game

LEGO has an official press release about this, which various sites are already discussing - shows a trailer and release window (late 2018):

https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/news-room/2018/september/lego-cube-tencent-2018/

... But there's much more to be found on Chinese news sites. Running them though Google Translate gives rough, but overall good enough results - it seems the game's Chinese name translates as LEGO Unlimited.

No word on if there's plans to release it outside of China, as far as I can tell.

http://news.17173.com/content/09192018/190440738.shtml

Contains some (low quality) gameplay footage, and other details:

The editor system is a major feature of "Lego: Unlimited". Tencent will build a co-creation platform that carries massive MOD resources around the game. Through this platform, players can use this editor to create their own games or maps even if they don't have code, and upload the works to the platform for sharing.

For MOD creators, Tencent will also provide a full range of mutual exclusion plans to help create a prosperous development of the ecology, including up to 20 million fund support, high-profit sharing incentives, and traffic support, technical assistance, and talent development. .

At the same time, "Lego: Unlimited" also supports multi-end play, support iOS, Android and PC platform synchronized play.

It is worth mentioning that Tencent will also join hands with the LEGO Group to build a healthy and green children's digital ecosystem, and hope to make Lego: Unlimited a sandbox game with enthusiasm, creativity, inspiration, entertainment and education. To this end, Tencent will launch the first child protection exclusive server in China for Lego: Unlimited, and access the growth guarding platform to allow children to entertain and educate the children while they are in the game. The play situation in the middle.

In terms of education, "Lego: Unlimited" will also join hands with Tencent's functional games to create fun educational content based on sandboxed receipts, including the creation of exclusive educational MODs, and in the future will launch the "Lego: Unlimited" learning version, to the maximum extent. The educational value of playing the game.

In the future, Tencent hopes to unite more partners to improve the children's digital ecosystem of LEGO: Unlimited.

"Lego: Unlimited" will be officially launched at the end of 2018, so stay tuned.

https://www.gamersky.com/news/201809/1102213.shtml

This article has several pages of screenshots (or, rather, photos of a mobile device running the game). Note the screenshots showing what appears to be a crafting system, weapons/tools that have meters implying they degrade and break, and the player holding blocks consisting of a 2x2 plate + brick + plate. It seems the terrain is made of these 2x2 cube-ish assemblies, and even appears to have ore that can be mined, and trees that can be chopped down - altogether very Minecraft-esque. There's also a very LEGO Worlds style building tool.

According to the introduction, "Lego Unlimited" is a 3D platform sandbox game, this will be synchronized to the iOS / Android / PC platform. In addition to exploration, battle, creation and other gameplay, the official also provides a special level editing tool.

https://www.taptap.com/app/82246

Some more promotional images, and again mentioning the iOS/Android/PC platforms.

http://games.sina.com.cn/t/n/2018-09-19/fxeuwwr6126206.shtml

This article mentions "Players can now make reservations through the official website."

http://www.sohu.com/a/254860271_116903

More promotional images, details:

"Lego Unlimited" also has a powerful editor built in, supporting a wide variety of triggers, allowing players to create rich gameplay with simple click-to-action. " Lego® Unlimited" will create a one-stop creation platform for players to download, learn, produce and share," said Shen Li. "This platform allows creators to fully communicate and present their creative content. ”

The powerful editorial features provide a free creative environment for quality ideas. In order to build a benign UGC ecosystem, Liu Ming, vice president of Tencent Games, announced the official launch of the creator recruitment, and introduced the “creation + plan” – from fund support, incentives, traffic support, technical assistance, and talent development. Five aspects support the creators. In the plan, “ Lego® Unlimited” will invest 20 million special support funds to provide a high percentage of reward creators. At the same time, relying on the Tencent platform, joint QQ, WeChat, Penguin E-sports, Tencent video, Tencent love, Tencent animation, application treasure, Bodong, player creation alliance, QQ browser and other partners to create a customized traffic matrix. In addition, the official will build a ladder-based creator training system that focuses on the growth of each creator. Through this program, the team hopes to further enhance the Lego® digital game interactive experience and give the vast majority of 'creators' a creative world that can be truly experienced and played, and share their ideas with everyone through this platform. ”

At the same time, " Lego® Unlimited" is the first dedicated server for child protection in China, equipped with a professional manual review team and an independent and strict child social system to establish a secure network environment. In addition, the game will build a child-specific mod, through the simulation of scene reduction, case teaching, checkpoints and other methods, in the game to subtly carry out child safety online education.

At the launch of the new product, "Lego® Unlimited" is expected to be launched by the end of 2018.

https://www.prnasia.com/story/223299-1.shtml

Not much in this article, but here it is anyway.

And finally, the game's official website:

https://lgwx.qq.com/index_p.shtml

Well, huh. This sounds intriguing.

I just hope it fares better than LEGO Universe, Life of George, LEGO Minifigures Online, LEGO Fusion, and LEGO Dimensions.

2 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Well, huh. This sounds intriguing.

I just hope it fares better than LEGO Universe, Life of George, LEGO Minifigures Online, LEGO Fusion, and LEGO Dimensions.

Why, are they all failures? I know dimensions was near the end and I didn’t expect too much of Life of George.

1 hour ago, J4ck said:

Why, are they all failures? I know dimensions was near the end and I didn’t expect too much of Life of George.

They’re all ambitious digital ventures LEGO has undertaken in recent years that didn’t pan out as hoped, and which were dropped before expected / hoped (or at least, before we expected / hoped; I don’t really know what their expectations were for Fusion or Life of George or whatever).

On 9/27/2018 at 2:22 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

They’re all ambitious digital ventures LEGO has undertaken in recent years that didn’t pan out as hoped, and which were dropped before expected / hoped (or at least, before we expected / hoped; I don’t really know what their expectations were for Fusion or Life of George or whatever).

With some of those like Fusion they were clearly handled as risky experimental ventures (small number of sets limited to a specific market without a lot of new costs associated with the physical side of the product). I don't know if Fusion overall was a massive failure, but the Fusion Create and Race set definitely was, being pulled from both shelves and the app store ahead of the rest of the line since the experience was generally regarded as sub-par.

That said, with some of those sorts of ventures, particularly those involving physical/digital integration, the benefits are just as much about learning lessons that can be applied to future innovations as about how the products themselves end up performing.

3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

With some of those like Fusion they were clearly handled as risky experimental ventures (small number of sets limited to a specific market without a lot of new costs associated with the physical side of the product). I don't know if Fusion overall was a massive failure, but the Fusion Create and Race set definitely was, being pulled from both shelves and the app store ahead of the rest of the line since the experience was generally regarded as sub-par.

That said, with some of those sorts of ventures, particularly those involving physical/digital integration, the benefits are just as much about learning lessons that can be applied to future innovations as about how the products themselves end up performing.

Oh, agreed, and I don’t intend to sound as though I’m laying into LEGO for them. I’m just disappointed when these things don’t work out for them, both because I want my favorite toy maker to be successful (and I know they are, of course, even with the occasional stumble), and because I want to be able to enjoy these things as a fan.

(I’m still looking forward to fully enjoying LEGO Dimensions once I have a console that can run it).