Carsten Svendsen

[HELP] Making a round 360° circle

Hi guys, I'm a technic guy and knows nothing about SNOT or parts availabilty regarding system bricks and would like some help on a simple matter

I have a 4 stud arm that is rotating in a circle making effectively 7 studs total.

What I want is a frame, or base if you will, that encapsulates it so that I can put a color underneath, making it look like I'm tracing a circle.

The problem is that I don't know if it can be made with arcs or slopes or wedges or what, and my system brick inventory is very limited, so if you can help me out, I would highly appreciate it :)

The outside would be fixed in place and the center would be fixed to the rotating arms, meaning it spins with the arm. I think a 1x2 technic brick with axle hole would do the trick for that.

76f5dc74c1.png

Edited by Carsten Svendsen

So you need a 5 stud diameter inner circle and a 9 stud diameter outer? being that LEGO is so even, odd studs are hard. How tall is this assembly?

without going crazy with SNOT building this is the closest I can think of

INQqzAm.png

You can see it doesnt quite work 

honikNu.png

Edited by supertruper1988

I just had a genius idea seeing @supertruper1988 post

If the 6 x 6 radar dish fits on top of the 8 x 8 radar dish, then I can just install both dishes on top of a black brick base and have it look seemless, with no effort going into making arcs.

The next problem would be to make the arm 4.5 studs long, but this is actually not too critical as the actual dimensions does have a little playroom, it will just be visually out by 0.5 studs.

Worst comes to worst, I'll find a way to make the arm 4.5 studs long.

If someone can test whether the 6 x 6 radar dish fits on top of the 8 x 8 radar dish making a seamless gap, that would be great.

Also, What is a cheap way to make a nice looking black base? I have a significant amount to cover and wouldn't want to make my self bankrupt.

I don't have any 6x6 and 8x8 radar dishes on hand but according to LDD (I reference this only because I'm pretty sure that the models in LDD are referenced to the actual design models used to make the molds by LEGO) it is not exact but from any distance and viewing angle that is not straight on, you shouldn't be able tell. 

EYSlr3I.png

@Carsten Svendsen

All good, I have found a solution to my problem. See below. I would like to point out that the idea with the arcs worked out nicely, I wouldn't have thought about that myself, mostly since I didn't really know they existed and fit with a radar dish that well.

Thanks for the help

7c73fdfa6f.png

@Carsten Svendsen Looks great! Glad a solution presented itself. I also didnt know that the arch parts worked so nicely but I happened upon them after looking at your question. I will probably use that int he future to make a giant clock on a building :thumbup: