Schwa

[MOC] Chitauri Leviathan

Chitauri Leviathan

This is my MOC for the Chitauri Leviathan from The Avengers. I plan on buying the parts and building it in real life. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to leave them on my Flickr page. If anyone wants the LXF file for the Leviathan, let me know and I'll add it. The 1x2 empty space above the gold on the side of the head will have a stud shooter, which isn't in the standard LDD yet.

Edited by Schwa
Spelling error

I feel you could really improve the silhouette with a few simple changes:

• Remove at least the second fin.  The Leviathan only has a few fins along its length, and the gaps between fins near the front are pretty big. The first fin is also bigger than the other ones, so use a slightly smaller plate for the ones at the back.
  • Make the animal get narrower over its length. Even just making the rear two or three segments a couple studs narrower would help (e.g. 8x4 instead of 10x4).
  • Add the spine.  The Leviathan has notable protruding vertebrae that start around the 1/3 point of its back, grow taller going further back, then get smaller again.

Those are the easiest changes that I think would help the most.  I think using various slopes and curves to match the shaping of the armor would help, too, but that would be a lot more work and experimentation.

I do prefer the first version. It is less squary than the second one. I th8nk something can be dkne with the color scheme (don't think pearl gold is the more appropriate color) and the tail (looks a bit flat).

16 hours ago, Zed_43 said:

I do prefer the first version. It is less squary than the second one. I th8nk something can be dkne with the color scheme (don't think pearl gold is the more appropriate color) and the tail (looks a bit flat).

Thanks for your feedback. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Schwa said:

Thanks for your feedback. Any suggestions?

If you're trying to make it less square, I would move up the fins to the middle of the body, rather than hanging off the bottom. That's where they are on the movie's model.

Then you can use slopes and curves to make the underside look more serpentine, and the upper side more lumpy and less angular.

The tail should just be built up with a few extra parts.

And yeah, I think the color scheme could be calmed down a bit from that second model. I think the creature's flesh is best represented by light gray, and then the dark gray armor will be its own contrast.

That was what I was going to say. You might use curved slopes to make it more organic.

Concerning the tail, you can add sections, same as the rest of the body but going smaller and smaller as you approach the en of the tail.

@N_Cat @Zed_43 Thanks for your feedback. I used pearl gold because that's what the official Lego Chitauri builds used. I will rebuild with your feedback though. Some great suggestions!