Sign in to follow this  
Lucullus

[POC] Variable Torque Distribution Clutch

Hello,

I would like to show you a prototype of a torque distribution system for AWD cars. I made this because I am currently waiting for parts for my WRC car and when I thought about my next MOC I decided, that it should not be a rally car again, but still a motorsport vehicle and still have AWD, so i came across AWD touring cars. Among others, that also made it on the future moc list, the Nissan Skyline GTR R32 Group A came to my mind. Even though this car and especially its successors are a little "overhyped", it features an interesting AWD system, called ATTESA ETS. Basically it is a RWD drivetrain with a PTO to the front axle, connected by a multiplate clutch. This clutch is controlled by an ECU and steering, yaw, throttle and wheelspeed sensors. As I do not have any Mindstorms parts, I decided to use pneumatics to mimic the original system.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

How it works:

The L-motor represents the normal RWD drivetrain as powersource. Yellow +o+ part represents front axle driveshaft. The differential is used as a clutch, when the diff housing is braked, torque will be transmitted to front axle. Braking is done by an 1x4 L-Beam that is pressed on an axle with a pinion gear. This pinion gear meshes with diff housing. Whenever the motor/driveshaft rotates, the pneumatic pumps are working, but the resistance is low, as long as the pneumatic valves do not seal the pneumatic system (air/pressure can escape). The valves are meant to be mechanical connected to throttle pedal and steering. When they are closed by throttle or steering input (or lack of it), the pressure increases and the cylinders press against the L-Beam. When pressure decreases again, the springs retract the cylinders. The pinion gear with friction pin is there for demonstration purpose (resistance at front axle).

Video for demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rctAZeHzsLs

Maybe the new 2h2018 pneumatic valves will be useful in this case (better implementation, more precise). Of course the playability of this feature will be limited, especially as I am planning to make the vehicle non RC, but a normal AWD would be too boring.

I hope you like it, its not very advanced but a little different to the usual AWD systems arround.

Edited by Lucullus

sounds like the reverse of how the haldex "awd" system is used in high end golfs and the audi tt quattro, those are fwd until the system detects the front wheels cant handle the torque, and then engages some sort of clutch to the back axle