GarryTheMinifig

[MOC] VEC-3 "Rhino"

25900241328_3b789e2e50_z.jpg

Here's Garry, introducing the Variable Exploration Craft model 3, nicknamed "Rhino", though more for its slight resemblance to a rhinoceros beetle (and its appropriately somewhat clumsy flight capabilities) than anything to do with the majestic large african mammal, but don't tell him that.

38873541615_017fe659e3_z.jpg

Note the tail fins in the back. There's more to this than you might think.

27993934079_8513ef9c64_z.jpg

The basis for this build was the legs, in particular the way they connect to the body involving these parts.  I feel like I got lucky with how sturdy this turned out to be, as unsupported single-stud connections can be incredibly delicate and fiddly, especially as far as moving parts are concerned.

38873537315_7ce8e8bfef_z.jpg

...though the stability of the rear wheel connection seems to depend entirely on the individual tolerances of those stud/half-pin parts and how well they hold a bar through the pin end; I went through a few before finding some that held well enough.  There's almost certainly a better way to do this.

39062578284_05df1b6f41_z.jpg

Everything I build needs some kind of flexible joint, now in the form of moving legs/suspension for tough terrain.

39062619604_c8cc9db2fb_z.jpg

When the terrain is too tough, the VEC-3 can take to the air!  During the build, I thought the legs looked kind of like a quadcopter when they were spread out like this, so I worked in a simple transformation feature.

25900251618_6597e631b7_z.jpg

Finally the underside, for a better view of how it's built.  Full gallery with some more pics can be found here!

Edited by GarryTheMinifig

On 1/24/2018 at 4:46 AM, Professor Thaum said:

A great cross-country little one

looks like a moto jet but it is more cool IMHO

Thank you!  Cross-country or cross-planet, whichever one prefers.