Sign in to follow this  

Hello good people,

I am finding interest again in Lego Technic (40 year old nostalgic dude from Holland). I bought myself the forementioned set which I will open not earlier till the holidays.
I will need to get myself familiair again with the new technic bricks and systematics. I am also thinking of motorising the Claas Tractor and making it RC. 

Will be a nice challenge. 

Now, I read about the S brick receiver and thinking about buying this one  for this project and a few motor units separate, incl. cables of course. What would you guys recommend in buying for this project in terms of motors? 

I would think the S brick, two servo motor's for steering and one XL motor for driving itself? And can this all be powered by the standard batteryholder that was included in the original set, through the S-Brick? 
Also, would this set in itself be suited for redoing or will be there be a lot of other parts be involved too? Just looking for some insights of people who have done this before. 

I do understand that this is a quite difficult task, but a man has to set dots on the horizon hehe

Any input is appreciated. Thanks! 

Edited by Raltech

@mocbuild101 Thank you, I have seen that one, appreciate it! I was thinking if it's nessecary to have those controllers or to do with just the S Brick and the Iphone/Ipad controls. I also saw a few topics going on at this board about customisation of this model. In which I replied, but those were from 2016 so maybe those people don't see this for a while or don't see it at all. 

I guess it's really a proces of how to manage this by yourself, everybody builds in his own way. I do see that the sets have become much more complicated and the way people made alterations is quite astonishing. I am still interested though in hearing weather or not the batteryholder of this set can sustain the S brick with those 2 additional motors added (3 in total if I see correct in the upper video), and still work like shown in the videos above. Hmmm -scratches his chin - 

Edited by Raltech

15 minutes ago, Raltech said:

I am still interested though in hearing weather or not the batteryholder of this set can sustain the S brick with those 2 additional motors added

Yes, it will work fine - in fact, it would easily power motors connected all four ports of the SBrick.

I'll second what mocbuild101 said about the battery box holding up with extra motors. I have a crane powered off one batt box with 2 s bricks and 8 motors.

as for modding I really suggest building the model first before you get to excited about modding it.  Hope you enjoy the build and not just the end product :thumbup:

On 24-11-2017 at 4:54 PM, MangaNOID said:

I'll second what mocbuild101 said about the battery box holding up with extra motors. I have a crane powered off one batt box with 2 s bricks and 8 motors.

as for modding I really suggest building the model first before you get to excited about modding it.  Hope you enjoy the build and not just the end product :thumbup:

Will definitely do so sir. Got my old 8860 also build up for showcasing again. Planning to build a few old sets for nostalgia. The new techniques probably will take some time to get used to. Thnx for the reply on the battery box. 

Edited by Raltech

Also decided to go for the Mercedes 42043 and enjoyed every minute of building it. Now just started with the Claas, will be lots of short building sessions here and there. Lots of strange parts when getting back into it after so many years. These two sets were quite the investment but I see them as a lot of bang for my buck.