jamesster

[Software] 3DXML to OBJ - Converts LDD model captures to OBJ

1 hour ago, metrizzi said:

hello, is it possible to convert several 3DXML to OBJ in one batch run?

Hey! Unfortunately not - I figured that with 3DXML files needing to be captured individually, there wouldn't be much demand for it.

I've been thinking about redoing this project as a simple command line tool, though - might not be soon, but, eventually, that'd be good to do. Just got some other projects on my plate first, which I'm getting close to wrapping up. If/when that happens, it'd definitely include that.

Edited by jamesster

New release:

https://github.com/Terrev/3DXML-to-OBJ/releases/tag/v1.9.0

Updated engine version to 2019.2.12f1 and did some other general maintenance.

The engine upgrade means it can now render very large meshes that were previously over Unity's mesh size limit (they were always exported to the OBJ file though, so as far as raw functionality goes nothing really changed there).

There is one small fix to the actual conversion functionality: It turns out there's exactly one decoration in LDD that's RGB, while the other nearly 2000 of them are RGBA. The converter previously assumed all textures were RGBA and would choke on it, but that's fixed now. So if you've ever wanted to export a model with this awkwardly pixelated floral pattern, then boy howdy is this the update for you:

68828259-545a7f00-0662-11ea-83a9-ca742bc

As always, I recommend using the 64-bit version, especially if you need to convert very large models.

Update time:

https://github.com/Terrev/3DXML-to-OBJ/releases

Added an option for whether to make separate groups in the OBJ for each mesh in the original model, or export as a single group with multiple materials. (This will be useful for a Rock Raiders modding tool I'm currently working on.)

Also increased the default resolution to make room for the new checkbox in the UI (of course you can always resize the window yourself or use Shift + R to reset your saved preferences).

Edited by jamesster

Cool tool. I suggest you to seriously have a look at the USD file format. It’s much better then OBJ but still easy to read and understand. Also USD has native Unity support since recently.