Sign in to follow this  
Oliver 79

(Help) outriggers

Hello folks.

I've been working on this project for some time now. I'm trying to make a huddig 1060c.

huddig1060-voxss.jpg

My problem is the outriggers. Because they are at a funny angle, I can't figure out how to mount them.

outriggers.png

This is what I have so far (pink). Obviously it's very flimsy. It was more to get an idea where to put them. My main problem is making them strong enough to lift the model, while staying sturdy.

Linkages are not a strong point of mine!

huddig_mk2.png

Does anyone have any ideas? They don't need to be motorized, I plan on having pneumatic functions. They also need a locking system so they have some functionality.

This is the LDD if anyone wants to take a look.

Many thanks guys.

Making the mount strong is not that hard, just focus on vertical strength, then you can simply fix the angle with a single liftarm. But what you have so far is not a bad start at all, if you sacrifice 1 unit of ground clearance, you can reinforce what you already have by an 5L vertically placed beam.

However, lifting the model is a whole different story. I have a very similar setup (without the angle) and the shorter 2L-wide pistons aren't able to lift the model. My situation is similar since in retracted state, the outriggers shouldn't stick out of the sides of the model. This means that the outrigger has to travel a lot to reach the ground, which means much smaller average force the outriggers can make. With a nifty linkage you can make the outrigger move faster near the retracted state and slow down when it's near the ground, but I can't see a way to integrate it into the model, and I think you will loose authentic look because of the cylinders would be placed in a weird way. But maybe someone who's better at linkages will have an idea, I will keep my eyes on this thread.

Edited by Lipko

you can reinforce what you already have by an 5L vertically placed beam......

Such a simple solution! I'll give that a go. My only worry is the space I have behind the wheels are limited. I can live without the model being lifted. It's the authentic look that's more important to me. And yes you are right, keeping them from sticking out too much when retracted is another headache I'm trying to overcome!

Thanks for your input.