dmaclego

[MOC] Yet another X-wing (Incom T-65)

The reason I used the inverted tapered slope on the top of the nose is quite simple: I absolutely hate and avoid all kinds of LEGO wedges with toothed lower edges. Which means pretty much ALL wedges ;) . (You can probably imagine, how painful it is for me to look at the rear edges of wings with all those 2x4 wedge plates ;) . ) In my opinion toothed edges are just aesthetically unacceptable; I use them only if I have absolutely no choice. Of course I'm not in love with studholes on top of the nose, either, but consider them a lesser evil ;) .

About the wings mechanism: yes, the L-shaped Technc liftarms are the key. The problem is, in such a tiny space you cannot attach a 20-tooth double bevel gears to them firmly (no X holes in the liftarms) . That's why, If you look closely at the picture some 16 posts earlier, you will notice tiny little pieces of flex tube crammed inside the 20-tooth gear wheel. They serve just this purpose: to hold the gears and liftarms together. You turn the gears in opposite directions - the liftarms turn as well. Now you know one of hundreds of reasons why this model could never be issued by the LEGO Group - they just don't do such things ;) .

Edited by dmaclego

I see what you mean, I can share your sentiment. I think the inverted slope did a much better job then.

and I see the flex-tube! how sturdy are the wings? they look like the would flop around with not much supporting them.

how sturdy are the wings?

Sturdy enough to swoosh the model :) . But if I shook it violently, they would probably fall apart, because laser cannons are heavy: there are metal train axles inside flex tubes.You know, it's qui pro quo - stiff and straight guns, but bigger weight ;) .

I actually tried to make the wings completely tiled inside (using inverted tiles 2x2) but THEN they were really, really floppy, so I returned to long plates to improve sturdiness.

Great model! One of the best X-Wings I've seen and the best in grey color scheme. I'm currently working on my own T-65 in grey color, hope it will be as much impressive as yours :grin:

Me too as I've been working on it on and off for a couple of months. I'm currently re-designing the nose section. Maybe I'll post some WIP pictures soon :wink:

Edited by BrickShady

dmac doesn't make instructions or LDD files.

Well, I used to but I don't anymore, to be precise. It's a daunting task to me plus I very much prefer to build new stuff :) . On the other hand, I've published so many photographs from different angles that it should be possible to reverse engineer the crucial parts of the model. Good luck with that!

This is amazing. I love all the work you put into capturing the shape and contriving that wing mechanism. I also really like the color.

Thank you very much. Positive reactions to my work mean a lot to me and help me survive the toughest moments during building. Like now, when I'm struggling with that darn greebling on a new model ;) . Thanks again!

hmm Okay (not ok-ey), but can you please tell me which brick you used with the red stripes on the sides? :) and maybe how the nose looks from the inside? Btw are you working on an Y-wing now?^^

The red stripes are good ol' panels 1 x 2 x 1.

Sorry, I do not have any pictures of the nose. But what I used inside are Technic bricks 1 x 2 with two holes (put horizontally, to attach the side slopes) and headlight bricks. Also, the lower curved slope brick 2 x 4 is attached to a hinge brick 1 x 2 (to make the slope more steep).

Yes, I'm working on an Y-wing. I have most of the cockpit ready and currently try make the "neck" look decently.

A, yet another awesome creation by dmaclego!

Forgive me for saying so, but I think you're being a bit humble with your topic titles. Because yes, we've already seen a lot of X-wing MOCs, but yours isn't yet another rendition. Has any other version ever even come close to the awesome texture on the fuselage you represent with those tiles, or achieved the shape with such accuracy as you did, without leaving the smallest gap (really impressed by your use of that Technic half beam to close that gap at the back of the fuselage. I would just have been happy with tiles and the barely noticeable gap they leave, but you went the extra mile!) ? And with every X-wing MOC everybody is having doubt about the proportions of the engines, but here? Here, they are perfect! And other X-wing creations already struggle to hide a good wing mechanism from view, but on your creation it has been incorporated seamlessly and it even can be operated from a stand (that video on Flickr truly mesmerizes me...). You even incorporated extra functions like the smoothly opening cockpit and - even better - a beautifully working landing gear. And never did an X-wing look that good in the dark.

You see, even without talking about the best thing about your creation, it already stands out from the crowd of X-wing MOCs. But the next thing makes sure your creation stands out from the crowd of not just X-wing, but any type of spaceship MOCs and probably even further than that. It's your incredible attention to detail and the ingenious ways in which you manage to incorporate them into your creations. I'm sure at least a small number of people have noticed those fine stripes in the back of the model, but I suppose no one ever could find a good way to incorporate them. Those flippers are damn genius! I love how you don't just see the details in the original model, but also manage to translate them perfectly where others gave up after sifting through their entire parts bin. Your solutions for the details on the sides of the wings, the tips of the cannons or the spiraling cords are another perfect example of this: clever and incredibly elegant solutions to represent a piece of detail most of us probably haven't even noticed, even after watching the movies countless times.

Your attention to detail has almost become proverbial to me. That's why I ask myself why all four of the cannons have ribbed tubes where I can only spot two on most reference images. I'm sure you have a perfect reason. Also, it makes me believe there's a very good reason for that one guy walking around with a radio... I bet that guy plays the Imperial march when no one's listening!

With all of these qualities, how can this creation be yet another version? To me it probably is the version. Bu I won't be complaining if I see yet another topic crop up again in the forum, because then I'll know it's going to be a good day! And maybe, one day, the immense inspiration you give to all of us will result in all of us building creations of a similar level... I see the missionary sense of your topic titles now :wink: but I highly doubt if I will ever reach your level. But thank you, thank you for giving us this creation that will haunt our dreams in the meantime...

9223072399_3ef10becf7_o.png

I honestly don't know what to say :) . I mean, obviously, thank you! But you paid so much attention to my model and then sacrificed so much time to express your feelings about it (twice! - first on the blog and now here) that I'm afraid that a plain "thank you" just isnt' enough . I'm actually blushing, having read such an enthusiastic review - and it's not easy to make such an old fart like me blush ;) . I'm very glad you like my work and please, rest assured that such positive responses motivate me to no end. I guess I'll be working even harder now ;) .

But while I respect your opinion about my model being the LEGO X-wing, I must say that incredibly good models appear here almost daily, so it's only a matter of (short) time before someone simply blows my creation from the water.

And now to the details you noticed:

"a beautifully working landing gear".

Only if by "beautifully working" you mean "good looking" :) . The landing gear is not retractable. Long story short - frontal gear was folding nicely (I used old fingered bars) but there was absolutely no way I could do the same trick with the rear gear, due to lack of space. (In theory, it retracts inside the engines - what a silly idea! - and I wanted to show some "guts" of the engines between open wings, which would not be possible with folded landing gear inside.) Then I decided to skip the mechanics and have a really, really realistic landing gear. Conversion from "standing configuration" to "flying configuration" takes some 30 minutes, mainly because of the electric mess which is a real pain in the... engines ;) .

"why all four of the cannons have ribbed tubes where I can only spot two on most reference images. I'm sure you have a perfect reason."

Oh, yes, I have a good one: I'm in love with them :D . But a more general answer is: my X-wing is an amalgam. I gathered quite a lot of photos of all the existing studio models and soon realized that it is not possible to re-create any of them fully. Some details would always have to be left out (or done only so-so), because it's only LEGO and certain parts come in certain color, period. So instead of building a model lacking details, I decided to have one overflowing with details ;) . There are decals from Red Five, wing markings from Red Two, certain color splashes from Red Three and so on. In my opinion, it worked.

"there's a very good reason for that one guy walking around with a radio"

I'm about to sorely disappoint you: there is absolutely no reason :D . As I was ordering parts for the scenery (like a rather rare red ladder - you know, Luke used red one on Yavin IV ;) ), I picked an elegant, dark blue toolbox for the Rebel technicians and then noticed in seller's inventory that gray radio thingy. And now a LEGOholic's confession: I bought it because I didn't have one :D . Then added it to the scene just for kicks; seemed appropriate for the good humored pilot ;) .

"But I won't be complaining if I see yet another topic crop up again in the forum".

Glad to hear that, because - if "everything is proceedng as I have forseen" ;) - my next topic will be titled "Yet another Y-wing"! Lots of work ahead but, as I said, I'm properly motivated, for which I thank you once again!

Thank you guys and sorry for the delay; I must have overlooked your posts (which is strange, since I visit this forum daily).

On 27.09.2016 at 7:01 PM, Thomty said:

How's your Y-wing coming along?:)))

Well, I daresay it's coming along nicely :) . At this very moment, I'm expecting the last two Bricklink orders (17 parts altogether) and I'm yet to finish maybe 5% of fairly generic greeblies. Oh, and maybe add a decal or two.

After that - since due to budgetary constraints I decided to postpone creating a display stand and just use the one I built for the X-wing - the model should be ready for a photo session.

On 27.09.2016 at 8:27 PM, pittpenguin123 said:

How did you attack those guns to the wings. They look like wheel rims

Indeed, they are small wheel rims. They have small, rectangular holes into which you can squeeze a flex tube. And that's what I did.