Interlude

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7 (Finale)

Tags: Science, Civil Building
Planet: Onix (The Axle, in Orbit)

27639942332_e4b911c44e_z.jpg
Not new build

Dr. Martenz: "Progress on the vaccines goes slowly. We are in our trial stages now, but the alien species most like the Oni-Ren in regards to immune system is the Oni-Shu, but the creatures are... uncooperative. They keep escaping their crates and destroying lab equipment. Simply put, Danielle, I need more people.

27129740333_b40596dba7_z.jpg
Not new build

Dr. Long: "And the Oni-Ren are still unwilling to open a dialogue regarding their epidemic?"

Dr. Martenz: "No. The Queen is sticking to her state's Isolationist, Nationalist ways. They refused to join A.L.I.E.N. or cooperate with Kawashita, and they are unwilling to negotiate with us now.

Dr. Long: "This is unacceptable. Their people are dying but yet they are too proud to work with us? Well they rebuke us at their own peril. The Oni-Ren should be grateful that our benevolent and powerful corporation is even so generous as to consider the mutually beneficial arrangement we've offered. Vaccines for the Black-Eye, beneficial trade deals, access to our advanced technology, agricultural practices, and health-care, and a steppingstone for interplanetary recognition, all in exchange for copper mining rights in land they don't even use to its fullest potential! Their resistance is illogical.

Dr. Martenz: "I concur."

Dr. Long: "Once we have a cure to their ailment, then we can make our move. Their Queen cannot say no when she sees with her own eye the true power of Octan. We will show her the light even if we have to hold her eye open to it.

Dr. Martenz: "Well... I could have the vaccine finished in two weeks time if you simply sent me some more workers..."

Dr. Long: "You didn't get the memo?"

Dr. Martenz: "What memo?"

Dr. Long: "I've made this endeavor one of the Axle's top priorities. You have the full force of the Axle at your disposal, and I shall make landfall with a force of peacekeepers and my finest scientists in one standard business week."

Dr. Martenz: ".. Oh... Wow. I'm honoured."

Dr. Long: "Check your holo-mail."

Dr. Martenz: Yes, Dr. Long."

Dr. Long: "See you in a week. Dr. Long out."

27129740333_b40596dba7_z.jpg

Dr. Long: "Thank you for the files on Kawashita, Mr. Dillberg. It's a shame about their CEO. Killed by a reactor leak? I thought Kawashita was better than to let something like that happen. from what I heard, Raven was an effective leader and an analytical mind. I suppose I should be glad that her passing weakens our rival corporation... but a human is a human, and I take no joy from senseless loss.

And then there's the matter of their new Master Mechanic that they brought in from the Milkyway. I wonder if it's... No.. couldn't be.

Anyways, Odus, you've done well. I've finished reviewing the files from my Sabbatical... care to join me on the Forward Observation deck of the Axle?"

Odus: "Sure!"

Dr. Long: "I want to see this planet of ours."

Later, on the Forward Observation Deck of the Axle, in orbit of Onix:

27706831146_deed3d774e_z.jpg

Dr. Edris: "There's Onix."

Shorty: "And its moons; There's Kwartz, the ice moon of the lava planet; and there's Garnit, the rock moon that shines red; and where's Paerl, the glimmering jewel of Onix?"

Dr. Edris: "It has a wide elliptical orbit. We've actually already passed it."

Shorty: "Pity. I hear it's the most beautiful one."

27640480422_6e9d96523c_z.jpg

27640497222_ec09b69bd9_z.jpgLike a Fecund Fruit Tree by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

Jebediah O'Reilly: "What a view."

Kodan Black: "Spectacular."

Dr. Long: "Mmmm."

Jebediah O'Reilly: "Glad you brought us here, Dr. Long. It's quite the pretty sight."

Dr. Long: "Pretty?"

Jebediah O'Reilly: "Yeah."

27640608442_55800f075e_z.jpg

(incase you want background music to accompany the following monolog, click

now.)

Dr. Long: "Look at them."

Jebediah: "The Planet and its moons?"

27462969270_3562cae04f_z.jpg

Dr. Long: "Yes. The celestial bodies... As a child, I marveled at their greatness. I would gaze out my window vainly hoping to catch a glimpse of just a single star or planet through the smog and the light pollution... But to no avail. The first time I saw one outside of a holo-screen or class simulator was my first time leaving earth. I was lucky enough to have a window seat on the shuttle, and my life's trajectory was forever changed by the gravity of what I saw. The void was full of light. I looked back on Earth, and it was small. So small, it looked as though you could hold it in your hand like a bruised green apple. And to think... that green apple was our home... this astronomically small blue-green orb was the birthplace and the graveyard of almost all of humankind. One day Earth will breath its last breath, I thought to myself there in that shuttle... But humanity will not. No... We are no longer tethered to that green orb. No longer are we worms in the core of a rotting fruit. We have metamorphosed, and now we have wings. Dr. Black, Look at them all. Gaze upon our fecund intergalactic fruit tree! All these worlds are ours... So full of invaluable resources, Copper, biomass, water, Awesomnium. Any one of them could be a new home for our species, but we have access to all of them, Mr. O'Reilly. They're so beautiful. So inescapably tempting... It's as if I could merely extend my arm and grasp one in my hands...

27463026990_bab4c8d9c4_z.jpg

"They're like plump, ripe fruits, and they are in season to be plucked."

27740881335_11d93c796f_z.jpg

27462886860_1a8ef56dbb_z.jpg

Messenger: "Oh, there you are Dr. Long. I have something for you."

27130077433_54c3de9c41_z.jpg

Jebediah O'Reilly: I found it floating in space, aged pretty badly... for whatever reason.

27640265492_d8c2def3e0_z.jpg

Messanger: "It's your logbook. We consolodated your temporary logbook with your old one and put it all in on sleek new device!"

Dr. Long: "Excellent. Thank you."

27666167371_8d77626604_z.jpg

27740711505_c371294b6d_z.jpg

27129904973_218020fab2_z.jpgLike a Fecund Fruit Tree by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

"Log Date 683, This is Dr. Danielle Long....

27640066592_76774ee175_z.jpg

... It's good to be back."

Everyone needs a good monolog now and then, wouldn't you agree?

This was originally going to be my entry for challenge 2, but the build din't work then. I have since gotten more pieces and figured out a better way to pull the structure off. So, Here is "The Invasive Species" Part 2. I'm proud to say that the titular invasive species has appeared in every one of my builds since I returned. It's hard to see in some of them though, but I think most of them have been pointed out. :wink:

~Insectoid Aristocrat Edited by Dannylonglegs

Nice build and even better monolog!

I agree that the invasive spices have appeared in every build but already in the first part I felt it wasn't the scorpions :wink:

I like Dr. Long's reasoning. “once we wave the vaccine (to the deices we cased) they will have no choice but to agree to our (benevolent) demands” And she (and many others too, I guess) doesn't even feel what thay are doing is “wrong” or “evil”. How can anyone not want “progress”. Just look at what it have given us; wealth, comfort, health problems, mental breakdown, environmental damage, resource depletion...

Good job! (and thanks for the mention. I wonder who/what the "Master Mechanic" is )

Nice build and even better monolog!

I agree that the invasive spices have appeared in every build but already in the first part I felt it wasn't the scorpions :wink:

I like Dr. Long's reasoning. “once we wave the vaccine (to the deices we cased) they will have no choice but to agree to our (benevolent) demands” And she (and many others too, I guess) doesn't even feel what thay are doing is “wrong” or “evil”. How can anyone not want “progress”. Just look at what it have given us; wealth, comfort, health problems, mental breakdown, environmental damage, resource depletion...

Good job! (and thanks for the mention. I wonder who/what the "Master Mechanic" is )

:wink:

Your analysis is spot on! Thanks! Dr. Long certainly doesn't see herself as in-the-wrong. Octan brings order and prosperity, in Dr. Long's estimation, and it's insane to refuse their generous gifts. Also she has quotas to meet.

You'll see.

Damn...

Thanks. :grin:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Excellent build Danny! It's good to see those sketches from Challenge 2 finally realized and I love the use of the "Work Zone" sticker. :laugh: Very fitting for Dr. Long. Thanks for including me on the bridge! :sweet:

Excellent build Danny! It's good to see those sketches from Challenge 2 finally realized and I love the use of the "Work Zone" sticker. :laugh: Very fitting for Dr. Long. Thanks for including me on the bridge! :sweet:

Thanks, Medium! It's not as large as i originally hoped, but it probably looks better than it would have, and it's much sturdier!

Thanks! I've used it before in similar circumstances... but I love the sticker! :laugh:

Glad I could fit you in. I needed someone to play off of, and you and Dr. Long have a good working relationship.

The judges awarded you 4 points.

Thanks, ye judges!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs