Doctor Octoroc

LEGO Architecture "World's Tallest" Custom Series

Here's the Colosseum! This was a fun build. Trying to keep it to the right height at this scale and also provide proper contact between layers of hinge plates and consistent texture around was a challenge and while I would have liked to have a more cohesive series of slopes between the outer and inner "circles", it turned out pretty good. It has a solid inner ring and a nicely textured and varied outer ring to represent the ruinous state of the structure.

24856577984_5d37dfd57c_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Did you see my Marina Towers post? Would like to see what you could do with those.

Here's the Colosseum! This was a fun build. Trying to keep it to the right height at this scale and also provide proper contact between layers of hinge plates and consistent texture around was a challenge and while I would have liked to have a more cohesive series of slopes between the outer and inner "circles", it turned out pretty good. It has a solid inner ring and a nicely textured and varied outer ring to represent the ruinous state of the structure.

Sweet! I know I wasn't the only one, but I thank you nonetheless. Now ... how about some Boston or Pittsburgh love?? Or that Gateway Arch? ;)

I'm intrigued how you would go about representing the HSBC Building (Hong Kong) at this scale. I've always wanted to build the Hong Kong skyline in Architecture form but not have the time nor skill to achieve it. I love your IFC, ICC and other HK buildings (did you do the BoC I couldn't find it). Also, I know it's not a skyscraper but how about the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona?

I'm intrigued how you would go about representing the HSBC Building (Hong Kong) at this scale. I've always wanted to build the Hong Kong skyline in Architecture form but not have the time nor skill to achieve it. I love your IFC, ICC and other HK buildings (did you do the BoC I couldn't find it). Also, I know it's not a skyscraper but how about the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona?

I do have a BoC build but it's far too similar to others I've found so I'm hesitant to put it out there 'as my own'. There just aren't a whole lot of ways to represent that form properly and someone else already beat me to what I'd consider to be the best method.

Now that I've taken on the tallest in each US state as well as some historical structures, I'm more undecided on what I want to do next. When I started I just went from tallest to shortest but I've reached the point where a lot of the tallest in the world are TV towers and the such so I'm not as excited about those builds - and now I've also opened up the floodgates to other structures and it's a bit overwhelming haha. Also, my computer took a shiyte so I had to get a new one and I've just gotten back on track and have a backlog of work so things will be slow for a bit. But definitely keep the suggestions coming! They'll help me hone in on the next one.

HSBC looks interesting, I'd probably take a nice "stroll" through all the misc pieces and mini fig accessories to find something that'll work for the details on the front. Sagrada Familia looks like a really cool and challenging build as well.

Two more finished - both by request - the Pyramid of Chefren in Giza, Egypt and the HSBC Building in Hong Kong, China.

24906087163_c5585e30d5_z.jpg 25165255209_ea46d8ea7d_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

I absolutely love the pyramid! I'd love to get a brick built version, great use of the pieces, especially on the Sphinx.

Two more models done - one by request, the Marina City Towers in Chicago, IL United States, and a second that I've been wanting to do for awhile, the World Trade Center Souk in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

25547053135_aeb43048ac_z.jpg 25547049595_e5c45b5689_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

yep those are the Marina towers, your interpretation is pretty good for a mini scale version...those are tough as they aren't as round as they look, but each apartment has an additional round balcony that sticks out...super expensive to get a place there, but very unique, thanks for taking the time to do it. How about a Golden Gate bridge? That might test your abilities a bit?

yep those are the Marina towers, your interpretation is pretty good for a mini scale version...those are tough as they aren't as round as they look, but each apartment has an additional round balcony that sticks out...super expensive to get a place there, but very unique, thanks for taking the time to do it. How about a Golden Gate bridge? That might test your abilities a bit?

The Embassy Suites in Philadelphia is a similar build - round building with balconies, etc. I had a hard time deciding between using the grooved cylinders as I did as opposed to alternating 2x2 plates with round 1x1 plates between them. I just mocked up the second in LDD to see what it looks like and the result is a bit more accurate - the deciding factor for me though was the number of pieces. For a build this small, 41 is a good number while the other way, there would have been 119 pieces. Still, I do like the look of it this way as well...

lddTemp.jpg

As for the GGB, I really want to do some bridges at some point but not as part of this series. I've already extended the source material from tallest in the world to tallest in each US state and historical structures - adding bridges would just be too much haha. But eventually I may do a few landmark crossings.

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

I like both versions but now that I have seen your 119 piece version, I would have to go with that one. I might have to see if I can get that LDD file from you to try and build this one, I think I have all the pieces already. Thanks again for taking the time to do it.

I like both versions but now that I have seen your 119 piece version, I would have to go with that one. I might have to see if I can get that LDD file from you to try and build this one, I think I have all the pieces already. Thanks again for taking the time to do it.

Sure thing! Always happy to do as many requests as I can. I've actually attempted many more than I've posted here but the logistics of building at this scale can be very prohibitive on certain structures - ie the Transamerica Building. There is just no way to do that form justice at this scale.

And I agree, I like my second version better despite being nearly triple the number of pieces. It's really not a hard build to surmise from the screen shot, it's mostly 1x1 and 2x2 plates with some other unique pieces thrown in. You can use any number of combination of pieces for the base. One of the many ways I've improved my own building techniques is trying to duplicate other AFOL's designs by just looking at their builds.

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

One more for the US 50 mini-series finished - the John Hancock Tower in Boston MA, United States - not to be confused with the John Hancock Center in Chicago. This was a fun build - the main tower is on a turntable to position it so the angled slopes on either side line up with the squared off portion on the front side of the structure.

25626080712_1d93ea0bf4_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

How many more States to go, Doc? :)

Only 37! Haha. Kinda wish we only had 20 states at the moment...or at least that by the time I get to certain states, they have built some more interesting tallest buildings. I still can't believe the tallest building in VT is an apartment building that's barely over 120 feet. That's not even 5 LEGO units high at this scale haha.

Maybe I'll just do the top ten in the US and call it a day...oh wait, done! Moving on...

It would still be cool to build them all and have a little map of the US showing where each one is.

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Another TV tower finished! Not very exciting but part of the series nonetheless. This is the Tianjin Radio & TV Tower in Tianjin, China - currently the 8th tallest freestanding tower in the world.

25640704972_c8a0bf32e1_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Since you are open to smaler structures.. How about some of the biggest statutes in the world? I'm quite interested to see which parts you would use to make the Spring Temple Buddha :)

Edited by Bugbot2008

Since you are open to smaler structures.. How about some of the biggest statutes in the world? I'm quite interested to see which parts you would use to make the Spring Temple Buddha :)

I have thought about doing some as super quick builds since they'd probably be under 10 pieces not including the base. At this scale though they might all be nothing more than just a bunch of the new 'micro-fig' piece they used for the Statue of Liberty in the NYC skyline set.

Doc - 200 Clarendon looks great! With the turntable, you give the illusion of capturing the building's ten sides, even at that scale. Nicely done: and thanks.

Doc - 200 Clarendon looks great! With the turntable, you give the illusion of capturing the building's ten sides, even at that scale. Nicely done: and thanks.

You got it! Happy to do as many requests as I can.

One more Radio/TV tower finished before I get back to some more interesting stuff. Not sure if I'll go historical, US 50 or supertall (not many left in that category until they build more). Or I might try some other interesting ones...maybe a bridge or statue, not sure since at this scale, structures that small will be questionably simple.

Also, this tower is nearly identical to the last one as far as build and even has the same exact number of pieces. Luckily the next few TV towers working my way down are much more interesting...

25777728986_32834f91a5_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc

Two more from the original 'Tallest' series finished. Almas Tower in Dubai, UAE and The Pinnacle in Guangzhou, China.

25192804964_06ef56d62e_z.jpg 25817586586_a51132c7c7_z.jpg

Edited by Doctor Octoroc