NeoSephiroth

Voltage Question

Hello everyone.

I'm new here and I have a question regarding the possible voltage for 9V Lego train motors.

First of all, I'm from germany and 34 years old. I've played and build with Lego since I was 4. I loved the 12V trains back in the 80's and their advantages over newer systems.

But the 12V system had a big disadvantage: the middle power tracks. I absolutely hated them because of the looks and that they bend up often so the trains got stuck.

I love the 9V tracks and currently I run every train on 9V and use my 12V transformator for trainstation and town lights and for remote the railroad crossing.

So I use 2 transformators, one 9V and one 12V. It would be nice to use only one of them. And that would be the 12V because the 9V is not strong enough to power the lights and has no seperate connection that is always at full power. So remote the railroad crossing is impossible too.

But it would be possible for me to connect the 12V transformator to the 9V tracks.

Now my question: Would a 9V train motor run at 12V? Or will it get too hot or even burn?

I hope someone here can answer my question or has any other ideas.

Thanx^^

In France, some AFOLs try to set the trains speed record (

) by using high voltage (up to 45 V) applied a few seconds; during exhibitions, trains run sometimes half an hour at 15 V without damage to the motors. So I think that 12 V will not be a problem for your 9V motors. Edited by DanSto

Hi Neo, Use a Mulitmeter and measure the output, Mark the dial when it hits 9v and don't exceed that point. that way you will ensure a longer life from your motors.