Sign in to follow this  
SSJ2 Dark

Buying/Building a Display Table

I have an area of about 12' x 6' in a basement room for displaying my LEGO town, and I'd like to buy or build a table. Can someone point me to some examples or how-to resources? Thanks!

The model railroading world has entire books on how to assemble display tables and their "benchwork". All of that should be applicable to a Lego display table. Just Google "model railroad benchwork" and you'll find ideas.

Your local public library may also have books on model railroad benchwork that you can borrow.

We like to stay flexible, because we change our town lay-out regularly, and also, we build a Winter Village diorama in the living room every December.

So we use small Ikea garden tables called Väddö. they're 58x74 centimetres, and the legs don't stick out, so one can combine them in any way possible. Rectangular, u-shaped, long and narrow, and you can use as many as you want. We have loads of them. The ones you don't use can just be disassembled and temporarily stored, without taking up to much space.

If one does not use base plates, it does need some kind of cover though, like a cloth or a board or something, to make it look better.

I use the Ikea Linmon tables with Adils legs and have been very happy with them. I believe Jangbricks uses them too for his set-up. They're inexpensive and can be rearranged in a variety of ways, and it's easy to get more of them as your display inevitably grows.

I use 6ft blow molded folding tables (roughly $30 from Bunnings) with 2m x 1m sheets of 9mm plywoof on top. I have tables at the moment and allows me to move them around if I need to!

If you search for my layout thread in the train forum you can see what I mean.

Your local public library may also have books on model railroad benchwork that you can borrow.27.gif

Edited by seanowgo