kurigan

The Eternal Quest for Data

Alright everybody…

Without lifting the veil just yet, I, going to admit that I’ve been quietly hard at work on a project for some time, which I hope will be a compelling reveal when the time comes. As the project progresses however, I’m having trouble finding certain bits of specific information “on the cheap”. I know a lot of basic, fundamental stuff about sailing ships, to be sure, but I need help in a few key areas specific to the rig I’m trying to replicate.

My primary example for this build has been Pride of Baltimore II because, not only is she a lovely vessel you can’t help but appreciate, but she has been readily available to observe and record directly over the last few years. Because Philadelphia is a short sail from her home port in Baltimore she is something of a staple for “Tall Ship” based events here on the Delaware. So, I’ve been able to tour her deck, converse with the crew, take loads of photos and even enjoy a short sail on the river. As far as the standing rigging (and some of the running from that day cruise) goes, I’m fairly well founded. What I can’t find are elements I haven’t been able to see up close or in the works.

For instance, I haven’t witnessed the working of the jib sails, since we cruised under fore and forestay sail on the river. Where then, are the sheets for the jibs belayed and are they passed through a block, like the forestay sail? I’ve wasted hours poring through Google images, trying to divine the mechanics of this from painfully low-res images to no avail. The best I can figure is they lead first to some point on the channels before running inboard. Weather that point is a block of some kind or just a ring bolt, I cannot tell. So does anyone here want to lend a hand? Can anyone fill in some of these blanks, perhaps with better images or even a sail plan on paper?

I could of course, make an educated guess, figure out what works best on my model and may still. I’d prefer to know what’s actually being done before I make a change however. As with most any model, there are of course some such variances due to scaling or incompatibility issues already, but it just seems the higher calling to know for sure first. As every art teacher I’ve ever had always said “Know the rules before you break them”.

Now I know all too well how expensive and hard found this information can be, so don’t think I ask lightly for what may have cost so dearly. I am not one to forget favors, or treat a friend with ingratitude. If you can and do help me, don’t think of it as mere charity. This build means the world to me as would any assistance offered.

The Friends Good Will's jibs appear to be setup in a very similar manner as modern Flying Scott daysailer that I've sailed in. I would assume the same rigging style as the Baltimore II.

. At
you can see the crew setting the jib, and at
you can see the top of the jib after it has been set.

, some little girls are raising the jibs. If you would like more images of the actual vessel, I have them uploaded to my PicasaWeb Album.

Almost all of the rigging lines are tied down at the base of the mast.

102_0684.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the quick response Phred. You’ve got some great photos and that video was just pleasant to watch. Friends Goodwill is a lovely ship I’ve admired for some time myself, but haven’t the opportunity to get out that way to visit her or any of the other great lakes tall ship, like Niagara. Though your images may help me on another project very similar, it would seem things are done very differently in “Pride”. The large majority of her control lines run to the pin rails to either side. Also I still can’t make out where “Friends” is actually belaying the line even though I can now see it set how I suspected. Alas, the search continues.

Rigging Period Model Ships was a $10 ebook purchase that I've found invaluable

https://books.google.com/books?id=IAKSAwAAQBAJ

(I happen to know that it has been pirated on the web too, but don't recall where, and anyway it's worth paying for...)

It's based on late 18th century frigate, so your mileage may vary, but at least it's a good place to start.

It shows the jib sheets running through a block and belayed to the forward rails on either side

Almost all of the rigging lines are tied down at the base of the mast.27.gif

Edited by cricoso

Well despite not being able to acquire reading material as suggested by EJRED, thanks for that, I managed to come up with a solution. I did try and track down/download a copy of that title as well as others but it seems it would require piracy for me, and on a level I’m not even skilled enough to pull off. No matter though. I’ve managed to scrape by as I always have. Serval more hours of clever google searches and I was able to interpret pretty much what I figured on from images. Here is a sketch of how it seems it must work. Trouble with this solution is that hooks of that nature don’t exist in Lego’s catalogue. It looks like I’m going to have to craft something to make this work.

1e2e906a-4f98-419a-baee-7e8d00186f87_zpswx4xst9o.jpg

If you’re at all curious, Nonesuch, my current grand WIP just revealed, is indeed the subject of this dilemma.

Edited by kurigan

Thank you for sharing you're results. :thumbup:

I expected the jib to attach to tie at the base of the mast instead of the rigging rail.

Just saw your note about corroborating sources - I'll check through my books soon and see what they say, and if there is anything useful I can let you know.