Sign in to follow this  
Endgame

Heroica RPG - Quest #143: Making Amends

"Well that was easy..." Jinnipher started to say as Garson approached the party.

After some consideration she replied. "Look, as much as I would like to save a life today, we can't give you the leaf. We were hired to get it and we're going to stay true to our word. Best of luck to you and your sister. Sorry."

48j97p1.png

"...There is no luck in this situation, miss. She doesn't get the leaf, she dies. I... You're heroes, aren't you? I don't understand. You're just... Just standing by as someone withers away and dies, and you can save them, and you don't.

I...I have 200 gold I can give you fellows. Please. Help me save my sister."

Yyu6Ryp.png

"What makes you think your sister's life is more important than my brother's?"

Garson shrinks.

48j97p1.png

"I-I'm sorry sir, I didn't realize you were trying to save someone's ife as well..."

Momentary doubt flashes across Gabriel's face, but he returns to his stern look. He didn't seem really compelled to correct the alchemist's false assumption.

Edited by Endgame

48j97p1.png

"...There is no luck in this situation, miss. She doesn't get the leaf, she dies. I... You're heroes, aren't you? I don't understand. You're just... Just standing by as someone withers away and dies, and you can save them, and you don't.

Yyu6Ryp.png

Garson shrinks.

48j97p1.png

"I-I'm sorry sir, I didn't realize you were trying to save someone's ife as well..."

Momentary doubt flashes across Gabriel's face, but he returns to his stern look. He didn't seem really compelled to correct the alchemist's false assumption.

Jinnipher looked at Gabriel with a raised eyebrow but didn't say anything else. "Gold won't change anything. I for one am bound to my word. I'm contracted to complete this job and that's what I intend to do. I really am sorry for your sister, but that's not our problem right now." She crossed her arms and looked away, obviously conflicted but not giving in.

QM Note: It's a lot more organic if you just let Pretzel hand the compass to you, if he deems it neccasary. :wink:

HgM5VUj.png

"Wh-when Bogossi migrate, they do this thing, right? Where they choose the weakest of the herd and ditch 'em, and we migrate four times a year, and... I guess it was my turn..."

Lind tenderly hugged the leg of the creature. "...Are you going to die out here without the rest of the herd?"

48j97p1.png

"And the rest are gone by now. Gone..." says Garson, sounding desolate. "Please, heroes..."

"Magic Compass, and I'm sure we can scrounge up a mage or two somewhere in Eubric who can do portal magic. I'm up for it."

Yyu6Ryp.png

"...You've read too many books with happy endings, Lind. Not everyone is going to leave here satisifed. Hell, the only reason Moone looked like victory was because we left the country before they started recuperating - it's still in shambles."

"Actually, no, I've read too many books with sad endings - which is why I'm not going to give up until we find a solution that solves everyone's problems.

And of course Moone's in shambles - they just had a civil war. But give them time - they're going to rebuild to something greater. Or we're all going to get invaded by creatures from...well, let's just call them star demons. But, one or the other."

After some consideration she replied. "Look, as much as I would like to save a life today, we can't give you the leaf. We were hired to get it and we're going to stay true to our word. Best of luck to you and your sister. Sorry."

"Oh, so now you start taking lessons from me..."

48j97p1.png

"Is that apiece, or between the group? 800 gold has to be enough to buy a decent portal spell..."

Yyu6Ryp.png

Garson shrinks.

48j97p1.png

"..." The Black Knight flashed a Intimidating look towards the lying sniper. Edited by Lind Whisperer

"Thing is, Gabriel is not rescuing a life, his brother had his arm chopped off by a demon or something of the like. As heroes of heroica, we have vowed to perform acts of heroism, which means sometimes performing what is for the greater good than merely what we are contracted to do. Some people seem to forget this fact very quickly. Now, I think most people would agree that saving a life is of greater importance than healing someone's arm, but we do not know you and we have no proof that you need this leaf for the purpose you stated. Alchemists are an odd lot, I should know. I helped one make a sword, which was supposed to bring health and life, but as soon as we had given him the ingredients, he used it to make an army. I am not interested in your money. No true hero should be, but in this case, though I will argue your case before our employer, I would have to side with him. After all some of us know his brother's family, so we know the plight he's going through is true."

Turning to Gabriel,

"Gabriel, I support your decision, whatever it is, but it's hard to have any respect for someone who shrugs off the chance to save a life as if it meant nothing to him. You say you have emotions restored, then stop to think about the life that is wasting away. If you truly think your brother's situation is worth more than this life, then I will stand by you, but if you are so quick to shoot down someone's request, like you did, it becomes very difficult to support you with a clean conscience.

"I know it's hardly a good substitute, but I have seen a hero who had a mechanical arm built for him, which I'm sure your brother would appreciate more than no arm..."

Edited by Palathadric

HgM5VUj.png

"I'll be okay..."

Lind's intimidation does nothing to melt Gabriel's reserve, but Pretzel's wrds and Jinnipher's glance do.

Yyu6Ryp.png

"...I just met my brother a few months ago. The poor bastard went almost his entire life thinking he didn't have any family. I can't show up empty handed.... Can I...?"

Edited by Endgame

"I'm sure your presence would be enough to satisfy him, considering that he has, no doubt, spent many birthdays without his brother present. I'm sure we could think of something else though...especially if we accept the 200 gold from our 'friend' here."

HgM5VUj.png

"I'll be okay..."

"Are you positive, or are you just saying that?"

"I'm sure your presence would be enough to satisfy him, considering that he has, no doubt, spent many birthdays without his brother present. I'm sure we could think of something else though...especially if we accept the 200 gold from our 'friend' here."

"We could imbue something for him down at the 'smith's."

"I really am sorry for your sister, but that's not our problem right now."

"And when will it be your problem? Any problem facing someone you meet is your problem in some way or another, whether you like it or not."

Yyu6Ryp.png

"...I just met my brother a few months ago. The poor bastard went almost his entire life thinking he didn't have any family. I can't show up empty handed.... Can I...?"

Another raised eyebrow. "That's for you to decide. Are you willing to let someone die over a little phantom pain?"

"And when will it be your problem? Any problem facing someone you meet is your problem in some way or another, whether you like it or not."

"I can choose my own problems. My accountability and my job mean nothing if I turn back on my word. Maybe that's different for you, old man, but I for one am no double-crossing traitor. If Gabriel wants to give the leaf to the hothead, so be it, but that is not up to me or any of us."

"Well said."

"I can choose my own problems. My accountability and my job mean nothing if I turn back on my word. Maybe that's different for you, old man, but I for one am no double-crossing traitor. If Gabriel wants to give the leaf to the hothead, so be it, but that is not up to me or any of us."

"...There's a difference between being a traitor, and...this."

"Of course, but that doesn't make it not your problem. You have to do your job, but you have to help those who you can along the way. This is your problem whether you choose to make it yours or not."

"Of course, but that doesn't make it not your problem. You have to do your job, but you have to help those who you can along the way. This is your problem whether you choose to make it yours or not."

"And not engaging with the problem doesn't mean it's going to go away..."

The Black Knight looked towards Pretzel. "Can I borrow your Magic Compass a minute?"

"Fine."

I hand Lind the Compass.

"Danke."

Lind accepted the item, and walked away from the group. He quietly held out his hand, while gripping the compass, and concentrated on wanting to know in exactly what direction the nearest naturally growing Azureleaf - that was still on a tree - was in.

Then, he looked at the compass.

Lind realized that the nearest Azureleaf still on its treee was literally couple of meters away. The compass points directly at the Bogossus.

Yyu6Ryp.png

"...No more of this loyalty to the mission bullshit. Tell me what you think is right."

Edited by Endgame

Lind realized that the nearest Azureleaf still on its treee was literally couple of meters away. The compass points directly at the Bogossus.

Slightly embarrassed that he had missed that Calamity still hadn't actually picked the leaves, but deciding that it was inevitable that he would have missed something in his mental description, Lind searched for the second nearest blue Azureleaf still on its tree.

Far, far away - but simultaneously, very near - a deity grumbled as he watched the proceedings.

Dodecube.jpg

"...Kid, there's supposed to be a difference between being a Munchkin, and being a nuisance, but you're making that difference very hard to see..."

Yyu6Ryp.png

"...No more of this loyalty to the mission megablocks. Tell me what you think is right."

"...I think that saving a life trumps over giving a present. I mean, it's you your brother wants to see, not what you're bringing him. And if Karie liked him enough to marry him - well, he's got to have at least some feelings for other people, then. And he's a fellow Heroican, and that's the sort of thing we're supposed to be doing.

...I think he'd want you to share the Leaf."

"I think you know already what you think is the right thing to do. We can advise you as to what we think, but ultimately you are the one who has to make the choice. We will not make your decision for you."

Yyu6Ryp.png

"...No more of this loyalty to the mission megablocks. Tell me what you think is right."

"If you had listened a little more carefully, you'd realize that I just did." She crossed her arms and looked away.

"Maybe he's lying." Calamity suggested. Double checking if she indeed had the leaf or not. "I reckon this thing is pretty valuable. I reckon having a flame for a head rules you out of a 'normal' job to make some money."

Calamity had yet to pluck the leaf off the tree - the Boggossus had inched away as soon as Garson made his appearance.

QM Note: A more expansive update will be floating your way tomorrow afternoon!

Yyu6Ryp.png

"Fair points, Lind and Pretzel. And Jinnipher... I'm sorry I didn't listen."

"Calamity, I admire your caution - and the dedication all of you have to the mission - but..."

Gabrel motions for the Boggossus to lean down. It slowly complies, and the sniper plucks the Azureleaf off of the tree on its head. Gabriel feels the silky texture of the leaf between his fingers, contemplating something, before handing it to Garson.

Yyu6Ryp.png

"...But I've decided the mission has changed. Send Vella my regards, Garson."

Garson heaves a sharp sigh of relief, his hands trembling happily as he accepts the leaf.

48j97p1.png

"Thank you, tahnk you, thank you... So much. Listen, here..." Gabriel tosses the party the 200 gold promised. "I won't go back on my word. And I promise to tell Vella just who saved her. Thank you so much!"

Garson quickly stashes the loeaf away and begins to make his exit, heading back down the trail with a giddy hop in his step.

Gabriel passes the party another 80 gold.

Yyu6Ryp.png

"There. You got your full monetary reward. I have no clue whether this is a quest completed or failed, to be honest... And as much as I wanted that leaf, he needed it more.

Are we going back to Flavius's, or are we heading back to Eubric? Your call."

Meanwhile, the Boggossus shyly clops towards the heroes.

HgM5VUj.png

"I-it was nice meeting you..."

"You did the right thing, Gabriel. I don't need anything from the blacksmith, but I guess you're going to need another birthday present."

Yyu6Ryp.png

"...Thanks. I have no idea what, though. I... Don't know him as well as I should. That's what I get for being away for so long, huh?"

"I could summon up something? A stuffed demon-head looks good over any fireplace." Calamity instantly clears up at the idea.