Sign in to follow this  
Endgame

Heroica RPG - Quest #143: Making Amends

Yyu6Ryp.png

"We aren't twins. I'm a half decade older."

"Hmm. That is unique...

Still, though, I'm looking forward to meeting him, if for no reason other than to see who Karie hitched herself to. He must be quite a guy..."

"Hmm. That is unique...

Still, though, I'm looking forward to meeting him, if for no reason other than to see who Karie hitched herself to. He must be quite a guy..."

Yyu6Ryp.png

"He's not some extravagant guy. Kind of quiet, kind of shy, very intelligent... and to be honest, kind of awkward."

Yyu6Ryp.png

"He's not some extravagant guy. Kind of quiet, kind of shy, very intelligent... and to be honest, kind of awkward."

"I imagine we'll get along quite well, then..."

Jinnipher hefted the Brine Blade and admired the craftsmanship. "Not bad. I'll let you know how it does in battle. I guess that will be soon, huh?"

Yyu6Ryp.png

"Will you guys actually want to meet my brother, or what?

...You're gonna be slightly creeped out at first, because he is pretty much identical to me - despite being four years younger - but he's a nice guy."

She nudged Gabriel playfully. "Well he can't be much weirder than you, sugar."

Yyu6Ryp.png

"I thought you said he was like you?"

"I imagine we'll get along quite well, then..."

"Opposites attract?"

She nudged Gabriel playfully. "Well he can't be much weirder than you, sugar."

Yyu6Ryp.png

"Hey, lets be fair here. I only just got my emotions back three months ago. Still getting, uh, acclimated.

...It's weird. I look through thirty one years of memory and say, "hey, that should have made me sad" or "wow, I'd be kind of pissed right now". It's... bizzare, o say the least. Kind of like I'm obligated to feel like that.

I'll shut up now, before I put you to sleep. I know you prefer strong and silent."

"I thought you said he was like you?"

"Opposites attract?"

Yyu6Ryp.png

"In appearance only.

And only sometimes, Calamity. Only sometimes.

...Not far to the Bogossus tree now."

Yyu6Ryp.png

"In appearance only.

And only sometimes, Calamity. Only sometimes.

...Not far to the Bogossus tree now."

The Black Knight held up his hand. "Uh, Father, you might want to hand Jinnipher the other half of your Soul Link chain, so she doesn't get knocked out again. Once I get a few cuts, and my chestpiece starts injecting me with adrenals, I should probably be the next person to borrow it - maximize damage potential."

"Hey, lets be fair here. I only just got my emotions back three months ago. Still getting, uh, acclimated.

"You only got your emotions back? Where were they at the time I have to wonder? Did you lose them and get them back by choice? Intriguing to say the least."

"I suppose I should. Calamity, you should probably hold onto these gems and scrolls until the end of the quest should you need them. You may as well also hold onto this Ethereal Cloak for now, if you are not opposed to wearing it. If any of the rest of you want to borrow something of mine, feel free...for now."

I proceed to hand Calamity one of each of my gems and one of each of my scrolls and the Ethereal Cloak. I equip the Order Imperial Prophet's Armour instead of the Darksteel Armour.

Edited by Palathadric

Yyu6Ryp.png

"...No. I just have a father who was realy screwed up in the head, and he passed down some of that illness to me- namely, a lack of emotions. After inhaling some fear gas from an ancestral dragon, I felt fear - and every other meotion kind of just tumbled in from there, I guess. Not fun at first, but it got better."

"...If any of the rest of you want to borrow something of mine, feel free...for now."

I proceed to hand Calamity one of each of my gems and one of each of my scrolls and the Ethereal Cloak. I equip the Order Imperial Prophet's Armour instead of the Darksteel Armour.

The Black Knight raised his hand. "In that case, if you don't mind, I'd like to borrow your Shadeaux Mace, and your Burning Knuckle Helmet."

Yyu6Ryp.png

...It's weird. I look through thirty one years of memory and say, "hey, that should have made me sad" or "wow, I'd be kind of pissed right now". It's... bizzare, o say the least. Kind of like I'm obligated to feel like that.

I'll shut up now, before I put you to sleep. I know you prefer strong and silent."

Jinnipher sighed, resisting the urge to roll her eyes. "Well now that you've seen what you were missing all along, it's not so great is it? The good feelings come with the bad, but especially in this line of work it's mostly bad. Can you still just go around killing people because you're paid to? You were good at your job because the person on the other end of that handcannon wasn't a person at all, just a target."

She kept hiking silently for a moment, then added, "Look, maybe you were lucky the way you were before. It was probably simpler back then."

Yyu6Ryp.png

"Simpler? No. And do I have any guilt about things now? Not really. I defined what kind of person I was back then. Guilt is pointless. I just do what I do, except when the day is done now I can do things and actually enjoy it. Hedonistic, sure, but it works for me.

You seem awfully... attached to the time when I was hollow."

The Black Knight raised his hand. "In that case, if you don't mind, I'd like to borrow your Shadeaux Mace, and your Burning Knuckle Helmet."

I hand said items to Lind.

Jinnipher sighed, resisting the urge to roll her eyes. "Well now that you've seen what you were missing all along, it's not so great is it? The good feelings come with the bad, but especially in this line of work it's mostly bad. Can you still just go around killing people because you're paid to? You were good at your job because the person on the other end of that handcannon wasn't a person at all, just a target."

She kept hiking silently for a moment, then added, "Look, maybe you were lucky the way you were before. It was probably simpler back then."

"Lucky, perhaps, but dangerous. A man with no emotions can do anything in any way for anybody, and it wouldn't make a difference to him. That is why automatons are so dangerous to the future of Eubric, because they have just as little qualms killing a baby as they would killing a man or a beast. It's easier for them to burn a city down with all of its inhabitants than to search out a few individual targets. Conscience and emotions serve as a balance to the evil side of human nature, when they are not present..."

Turning to Gabriel, "I have to wonder, if you felt no emotions, why did you do what you did?"

I hand said items to Lind.

The Black Knight nodded his thanks, and equipped the Burning Knuckle Helmet in place of his Invader's Armor.

"If there's anything I have that any of you could make use of, ask and I'll share it. I'll need to put it on again shortly, but one of you might be able to use my Invader's Armor - especially at that level..."

"Lucky, perhaps, but dangerous. A man with no emotions can do anything in any way for anybody, and it wouldn't make a difference to him. That is why automatons are so dangerous to the future of Eubric, because they have just as little qualms killing a baby as they would killing a man or a beast. It's easier for them to burn a city down with all of its inhabitants than to search out a few individual targets.

"Agreed. Technology is outpacing us. Instead of it being used to gracefully ease Eubric and Olegia into a newer, more advanced era, it's only being used to cause havoc and mayhem.

That's one reason why I'm in the Crescent Union. We need to carefully regulate and organize our advances, so our advances don't end up destroying us."

Turning to Gabriel, "I have to wonder, if you felt no emotions, why did you do what you did?"

Yyu6Ryp.png

"I kind of just loitered around until I got conscripted. Handed me a gun and it turned out I was a good shot. Ended up giving my services to other people when my assignment ended, and eventually just became a solo mercenary. The "why" was that I just needed to do something I was good at."

The party eventually comes to the tree they were seeking. Sunset casts a reddish light over the rocky terrain, the skinny tree's roots firmly rooted in some goopy mud.

7Doeqtd.png

Yyu6Ryp.png

"I can barely guess which one is the Azureleaf. Anyone need a boost? I'm guessing most of you don't want to lie down in mud."

Yyu6Ryp.png

"I kind of just loitered around until I got conscripted. Handed me a gun and it turned out I was a good shot. Ended up giving my services to other people when my assignment ended, and eventually just became a solo mercenary. The "why" was that I just needed to do something I was good at."

"Who conscripted you?"

The party eventually comes to the tree they were seeking. Sunset casts a reddish light over the rocky terrain, the skinny tree's roots firmly rooted in some goopy mud.

Yyu6Ryp.png

"I can barely guess which one is the Azureleaf. Anyone need a boost? I'm guessing most of you don't want to lie down in mud."

The Black Knight squinted towards the tree. "Calamity could probably move most of that mud out of the way with Pretzel's Garnet...But it might hurt the tree's ecosystem?"

Yyu6Ryp.png

"An army in Charis."

"It's mud, Lind. A little dirt and a little water never hurt anybody too bad."

Edited by Endgame

Yyu6Ryp.png

"An army in Charis."

"Interesting...I must remember to ask you for some pointers on the Charisian language..."

"It's mud, Lind. A little dirt and a little water never hurt anybody too bad."

"I've got no problems with it," the Black Knight said, as he advanced forward. "Just providing the ladies with a second option..."

He jumped up, and tried to break off the bunch of leaves at the bottom of the branch.

Edited by Lind Whisperer

Lind stomps his boots through the mud, and leaps. He manages toget some decent height, enough for his fingers to brush the Azureleaf, but not pull it down. He misses, and plops back into the mud. He has trouble getting his bearings, especially because the mud began to shake and stir. The ground began to rumble, forcing the Black Knight to try with all of his might to not get thrown into the trembling terrain. He scurries, as a wooden looking limb emerges from the mud. Followed by another, and another, and another... The tree uproots itself, and the impressive beast rises from slumber.

Fo7pCA7.png

"YAAAAAAAAAWWWWWRRRRRRRGHHHH!"

Yyu6Ryp.png

"...Shit."

Edited by Endgame

Lind stomps his boots through the mud, and leaps. He manages toget some decent height, enough for his fingers to brush the Azureleaf, but not pull it down. He misses, and plops back into the mud. He has trouble getting his bearings, especially because the mud began to shake and stir. The ground began to rumble, forcing the Black Knight to try with all of his might to not get thrown into the trembling terrain. He scurries, as a wooden looking limb emerges from the mud. Followed by another, and another, and another... The tree uproots itself, and the impressive beast rises from slumber.

"...This is why we need to carry Sapphires, guys."

The Black Knight shook his head, unsheathed Gladius, and attacked from the front row.

The Bogosuss' demanor changes completely. It gives a small gasp of terror and begins to clop backwards, the ground shaking with each of its horrified steps. It shields its bizzare eyestalk with its even more bizaare tentacles, and is shaking like a frightened puppy.

HgM5VUj.png

"Agh! P-p-please put the sword away, I was just-just yawning! I'm r-really sorry if I sounded threatening..."

The Bogosuss' demanor changes completely. It gives a small gasp of terror and begins to clop backwards, the ground shaking with each of its horrified steps. It shields its bizzare eyestalk with its even more bizaare tentacles, and is shaking like a frightened puppy.

HgM5VUj.png

"Agh! P-p-please put the sword away, I was just-just yawning! I'm r-really sorry if I sounded threatening..."

"This day just got a lot more complicated," the Black Knight muttered as he sheathed Gladius.

The Boggossus visibly relaxes.

HgM5VUj.png

"Complicated? Uh, may I ask why? I don't understand... Why are you folks here?"

HgM5VUj.png

"Oh, you mean that blue thingy on my tree?"

The Boggossus points a spindly tentacle at the bright blue foliage.

"Just take it. Just another leaf to me. It doesn't really matter, as long as the tree is safe..."