Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

The Pirate Theme ended...

I'll use this expression again:

"Sometimes less is more"

Well, other themes did well with fairly plain rooms, but LEGO is starting to embellish them more and more, raising the cost. I'd be fine with more plain rooms.

I posted this earlier. although it appears it was over looked, or maybe Bloody Jay doesn't have any suggestions or dreams in this department. But once again.

What would YOU Mr Bloody Jay, like to see if LEGO was to release more SYSTEM Pirate sets?

I posted this earlier. although it appears it was over looked, or maybe Bloody Jay doesn't have any suggestions or dreams in this department. But once again.

What would YOU Mr Bloody Jay, like to see if LEGO was to release more SYSTEM Pirate sets?

Large pirate ship - $90

Pirate island - $70

Medium pirate ship - $40

Small pirate island - $15

Various small pirate sets - $3-$10

Large imperial ship - $70

Large imperial base - $70

Medium imperial ship - $50

Imperial dock - $30

Imperial prison - $20

That's all I'd like to see.

When you say "Imperial" which empire are you implying to?

LEGO never directly specified what nation the sub themes belonged to but it seems obviously the Soldiers (Blue) and Imperial Guards (Red Coats) were intended to represent Brittish Imperial Forces and the Imperial Armada was to represent the Spanish Armada. Some people like to think of the Blue Coats as the French, but given their uniform design this doesn't seem historically accurate. However back in the days of "Just imagine..." it could be whatever you wanted it to be.

Yes I do believe the Imperial Armada theme really needs to be completed. Two sets just isn't enough.

Although I'd like to see sub themes for all the major nations including the French, Dutch and Portugese. Each sub theme incoporating elements of these nations culture in the design of the sets.

I can't see that selling too well with the kiddies. The Spanish Armada was one of the main opponents of the pirates (mostly privateers), though.

What precisely can't you see selling too well?

And what's with the history lesson? Are you suspecting I need more educating about Pirates?

I don't think the sentence "The Spanish Armada was one of the main opponents of the pirates (mostly privateers), though." is entirely accurate. The Spanish Armada was enemy of just about everyone who wasn't Spanish in the Caribbean.

What precisely can't you see selling too well?

And why what's with the history lesson?  Are you suspecting I need educating about Pirates?

I don't think the sentence "The Spanish Armada was one of the main opponents of the pirates (mostly privateers), though." is accurate.  The Spanish Armada was enemy of just about everyone in the Caribbean.

Lots of nationalities. From what I've seen, it's a lot more popular to have good guys and bad guys, black and white. I'm fine with that, too - keeps money in my wallet and money in LEGO's, as well.

And no, I don't think you need educating. I was just bringing up that they were the MAIN enemies of the privateers - didn't the British give charters for attacking the Spanish only? They could even have Sir Francis Drake's ship, and put a backstory on that.

What difference does it make how many nationalities there are? They can ally or they can be at war with each other. Just look how many different sub themes Space and Castle had... Some were good. Some were evil.

Even in the original Pirate theme the Blue Coats and Red Coats weren't the best of friends and they had two other major Pirate captains to contend with.

But that was back then. May kids are a lot simpler now and need to have black and white so it doesn't hurt their little heads.

And no, I don't think you need educating. I was just bringing up that they were the MAIN enemies of the privateers - didn't the British give charters for attacking the Spanish only? They could even have Sir Francis Drake's ship, and put a backstory on that.

Hmmm... Saying they were the main enemies of the privateers probably isn't the correct way of putting it. The Spanish were the main enemies of EVERYONE in the Caribbean. The other nations comissioned privateers to attack and plunder Spanish ships and settlements. Therefore the Spanish was not strictly the enemy of the privateers, rather the Privateer is carrying out a task, like an assassain or bounty hunter would. Spain also comissioned privateers to do the same to the other nations.

However you raised a very valid point. The Spanish were dominant in the Caribbean and therefore should have a myriad of sets to build up the Spanish Main.

I really wished this theme was still around now. I thought it was better than Star Wars and its much better than those 4+ pirate 1 piece moulded sets.

Phes, I wasn't saying that the Spanish were ONLY enemies with the pirates, but the pirates/privateers were MAINLY enemies of the Spanish. And since the theme would be pirate-centric, I think their main opponents would be good enough.

I don't think Bloody Jay quite has the right grasp on what's going on. Master Yoda is much closer to the mark.

What I was saying earlier is that a privateer isn't necessarily the enemy of any given nation. They're more or lessed hired by a nation to cause grief against another nation, and they can also seek amnesty with their hiring nation if they decide to retire.

E.g., a Spanish Captain could have an English Letter of Marque to attack Dutch ships and towns. Someone need not be a citizen of a nation, to be a privateer for them. Or dislike or be emenies with a nation to become a privateer plundering their ships and towns.

Oh, no problem at all Master Yoda. My many hours of reading up on this subject is being used beyond my own personal interests. So that is very good indeed.

I don't think Bloody Jay quit has the right grasp on what's going on. Master Yoda is much closer to the mark.

What I was saying earlier is that a privateer isn't necessarily the enemy of any given nation. They're more or lessed hired by a nation to cause grief against another nation, and they can also seek amnesty with their hiring nation if they decide to retire.

E.g., a Spanish Captain could have an English Letter of Marque to attack Dutch ships and towns. Someone need not be a citizen of a nation, to be a privateer for them. Or dislike or be emenies with a nation to become a privateer plundering their ships and towns.

Granted. But the most famous privateers were British versus Spanish. Besides, it doesn't matter - the Spanish Armada figures had cool ships and awesome helmets. ;)

Granted.  But the most famous privateers were British versus Spanish.  Besides, it doesn't matter - the Spanish Armada figures had cool ships and awesome helmets. ;)

Obviously the nations are going to comission their privateers to attack whoever they're at war with. And it just so happened that Spain was almost always at war with everyone colonising the new world.

So who were the most famous Privateers?

Henry Morgan was the greatest English Privateer of the seventh century. After he sacked Panama the Spanish were rather humilated.

Vice Admiral Sir Drake captured the Spanish Silver Train at Nombre de Dios in March of 1573. Very nicely done.

William Kidd was one of the most successful English Privateers but he was comissioned to attack the French.

Alexander Godfrey was an American Privateer... But he taught the Spanish a lesson or two.

Piet Pieterszoon Hein was Dutch and he captured the Spanish treasure fleet in 1628.

Robert Surcouf was a French Privateer who captured 47 ships throughout his career and was renowned for his gallantry and chivalry.

There are only a few quick examples, But it WASN'T Spanish Vs British, it was Spanish Vs Everyone else due to reasons I've specified above.

Here is another set idea: "away boarders" wher a pirate ship takes on an a smaller Imperial ship ;)

Could you possibly elaborate upon this idea Master Yoda?

Sure

It would consist of a pirate ship taking on a poor imperial ship. Both ship would be aside and the pirates would jump on board and do their thing.

This set would include at least 10 minifigs, treasure, a lot of hooks to board the ship...

Pardon my lack of pirate vocabulary ;)