Soul

Bricklinking the Y-Wing (10134)

Wow, that's a tad more than I paid for a used (pristine) original about 6 months ago. Didn't realise what a good deal I got.

I think you got a real bargain on that one...

Thanks for all the advice and sorry about highjacking the thread.

I just checked rhe prices at ebay.de last month. 5 were sold between €300 and 450€ -all with manual, some with box,, but two with a missed sticker. One sealed for 670€. I think there are a lot of better UCS sets to rebrick without a loss of money.

Revised my figure down to £220 - I'd left the LBG levers in and the tan hinges. With more searching it could be lower come ordering.

I guess it depends on timing / location / patience - Ebay UK has a number new at the £1k plus range, and then about 4 sets in the late £500/600 range plus postage with varying degrees of newness and location....there is one used which is currently at £180 with 5 days left - 31 bids already....

For me part of the fun is doing the Bricklinking, so each to their own view of value.

Just wanted to show a quick update... got the set last week (pre-assembled) and finished it today... everything exept a tan 2x8 plate is accounted for - looks pretty neat! I couldn't believe how big it was going to be finished! (It came with a UCS-Sticker reprint, that looks all right but is a little worn...I did my own stickers for the cockpit, looks fine to me.)

21291961883_910484ef4f_b.jpg

21725014560_99915c5c09_b.jpg

21290337404_dec37a1760_b.jpg

21726193429_8f4d611fde_b.jpg

21922772241_73abd0f177_b.jpg

Sweet....looks grand.

I'm well on the way of getting my bricklink orders processed - I've swapped the crazy price dark orange pieces for a combo of dark tan/brown/orange, I'll spray the silver wheel rims white, and I've decided to go with the white technic 2L connectors in place of the ribbed tubes, plus a few other minor swaps/amends.

I'm tempted to try the 7658-1 Y-Wing canopy as a sub as it will allow more sight of the cockpit area.

I did a little modding to the pilots seat and fitted a pilot in there... looks very nice, although not much in scale... I still like it! :blush:

21378108093_d90379ec5f_b.jpg

I like to put minifigs in my UCS sets too! The heads look about the right size so it works for me.

Mine looks very different now though, thinking about making a thread for it.

21814235209_3fc07699a3_z.jpg

Solo, your stickers actually look better than the official ones.

Last main bits of build done, some minor parts on their way so a couple of temporary pieces in place for now.

Just need to replicate the yellow side nose stickers then....

img_2193-s.jpg

img_2194-s.jpg

Regimus - I like the look of your changes - you have shortened the main body, engines and engine struts, done some nice changes to the grebs. and guns?

Cheers hold! I will make a thread when I get the chance as I've made more mods since.

The body is actually the same size. I moved the "wings" that hold the pylons back several studs, shortened the pylons massively (the solid parts and the tubes), and completely redesigned the cockpit area making it much larger.

Like you said, greebles all round, too.

Regimus, your modded Y-Wing really catches the proportions of the studio model. Very nice work!

I must say, though that I'm pretty fond of the more elongated approach TLG took on the model.

It is a great UCS, no matter what... question ist, what to buy next! :laugh: (got a decent offer on a 10225 R2-D2 - but having already build/bought three UCS in 4 weeks might really break the bank after all... :blush: )

If you don't have 10212 already, get it.

I have the Shuttle, Y, X & B wings, TIE, Slave I, Sandcrawler and Faclon. For me the shuttle is second only to the Falcon, and looks incredible if you cover all of the studs with tiles.

Agreed the shuttle is awesome, especially if you have room to display with the wings down. I'm torn between the shuttle and Slave 1 as my favourite (until my Falcon is done) :laugh:

If you don't have 10212 already, get it.

I have the Shuttle, Y, X & B wings, TIE, Slave I, Sandcrawler and Faclon. For me the shuttle is second only to the Falcon, and looks incredible if you cover all of the studs with tiles.

Off topic since I don't think I can pm. Mind sharing a pic of how you display your collection please!

Also close up of 10212 tiled up! Thx in advance!

To hold0511: Nice pix and set!

Mine if it helps :grin:

21485201959_61793e2abe_b.jpg

21681202321_d589e09313_b.jpg

21484095600_3e60173c07_b.jpg

The shuttle takes up a lot of space as it's so high on the stand. The others are all awkward in various ways as well!

Really great collection, Soul!

The shuttle is awesome, so is the Snowspeeder (my favorite ship from the OT)... But both are so expensive now, I couldn't bring myself to throw this much money down...

(Got the X, Y and B-Wing, Slave 1, Sandcrawler, Obi Wan's Starfighter, the Falcon, Death Star and the Ewok Village right now... I plan to get the Tie Fighter next year and hold my fingers crossed for a ISD relaunch...)

Nice! I wish I had the ISD, Vader's Tie, Y-Wing and DS2. I'm wondering about getting Red 5 but wonder if it's worth it given I've got the original X.

The snowspeeder is very yellowed from being on display, probably will replace a lot of the white plates when I get the chance :classic:

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread, Soul :grin:, I won't cram it full of deeplinked images.

Here's a couple of links if anyone is interested.

Collection back in May (I've changed my set up slightly and modified a few of the sets since these photos were taken) - http://imgur.com/a/S3yWU

10179 mount - http://imgur.com/a/yZYA5

10212 mods - http://imgur.com/a/WleUQ#0

10134 mods - http://imgur.com/a/DmOsn

Edited by Regimus

No problem Regimus! :tongue:

Love your wall mount for the Falcon - I may pick your brains on that if you don't mind, as I'm mid-way through the build and I think I'm going to have to wall mount to keep the wife happy :laugh: