Sign in to follow this  
Endgame

Heroica RPG - Quest #138: Fade To Black

Another eyebrow raised at the Sandman. "It's worth it to me. What's the point of killing the dragon if he kills everyone else first?"

"Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking too..."
"Little twerp!? Look, sweetie, you're barely a mature adult human and I could take you in a duel any day. So don't kid yourself into thinking you're smarter or stronger than I am. I was the one who protected the whole party from those octopi, so if anything you'll be the one who needs to be careful of getting hurt." There was a trace of exasperation in her voice that indicated that even though she held a grudge against Karie, she was grateful to have someone come with her.

Jinnipher gathered herself by pushing a strand of hair behind her ear in and closing her eyes and sighing. "The rest of you can run for it, but I'm going in there no matter what. Karie, Lind, let's go."

"Flynn," the Munchkin muttered softly, in the voice of someone who had the bad feeling he was going to have to remind everyone many, many more times before this quest was finished. Edited by Lind Whisperer

"We must talk more about this diazepam..."

7YdqKPh.png

"No."

Another eyebrow raised at the Sandman. "It's worth it to me. What's the point of killing the dragon if he kills everyone else first?"

7YdqKPh.png

"If we defeat it, we live. if we don't, we die with everyone else."

"Faust told me to make sure you don't die, probbly because he doesn't want to answer to the Heroica higher-ups. I will go where the party leader goes. If Skrall chooses to throw himself into danger, then so be it. I will not breach contract. But I have made it clear that saving that person will be a bad idea."

Edited by Endgame

QM Note: Just so you know how to progress and i don't leave you hanging, I'll wait for the Party leader to make the final call.

"And if he kills ya first? Who will stop him then? I'm heading for shelter, Sandman, Flynn, and Warlen, I want ya with me." The ogre pulled Karie aside, "If ya can't get back quick, throw a smoke bomb and get out of there, I don't care if ya need to leave civilians, it'll be no good if a quarter of this group are missing or worse...." The ogre stowed his equipment and start trudging for shelter.

Edited by Waterbrick Down

OoC: Should Lind take back his Anniversary Medal, and give Jinnipher his Cloak of Deception (Free hits against the wearer have a 1/6 chance to be redirected to a random opponent; Backwear, suitable for anyone)?

If she's going into a danger zone, I don't want to cripple her...but there are only three Medals(Four in a month or so, but still), and I highly doubt I'll win a second one. And if there's a crowd of enemies, having a chance - however small - to reflect free hits could be useful for a party of two.

"And if he kills ya first? Who will stop him then? I'm heading for shelter, Sandman, Flynn, and Warlen, I want ya with me." The ogre pulled Karie aside, "If ya can't get back quick, throw a smoke bomb and get out of there, I don't care if ya need to leave civilians, it'll be no good if a quarter of this group are missing or worse...." The ogre stowed his equipment and start trudging for shelter.

Karie nods towards Skrall. She then moves towards Jinnipher, looking serious for once.

"If you want to go out and find this person, we better do this quick." She places her Paper Doll on her person, replacing the Mage's Muffler. "Well, you know this place so well, so lead the way."

The Munchkin grunted discontentedly, then prepared to follow the ogre.

He pointed a finger towards the Moon Elf. "Do not, for any reason, chance, or circumstance, lose that Medallion. Or Hel shall have no fury..."

He tossed the jar of Barnacle Broth to Karie. "If for some reason, you wind up nearly dead and out of ether while you're out there, this might make for a decent last resort..."

The party splits ways...

---------------------------------

Karie and Jinnipher track down the source of the voice...

TYYrmgK.png

The party saw the wreckage of a old cottage, but more importantly, an old man whose legs were pinned down by a toppled beam, presumably part of the house that once stood here.

iO5K0d4.png

"Help, please..." he rasps, his voice dry and laced with pain.

------------------------------------------

Skrall, Flynn, Warlne, and Sandman hastily make their way to cenauri, and duck into the first building they see there.

mglb3G7.png

A bar and brothel that once had pristine white walls was now a mottled grey due to the fog. With that omen re-enforcing what was about to descend upon Moone, the party eetners the bilding and slams the door shut. The barkeep goes over and makes sure it's sealed up well, before returning to his post behind the bar.

OdUgRTv.png

kvu8ShS.png

"I see you brought friends, Sandman!"

7YdqKPh.png

"More like associates."

kvu8ShS.png

"Pah, you'd call your own family associates.

Well, fellas, the clock is about to strike midnight, so you're stuck in here for a while. It usually takes about half an hour, maybe a full one, for it to be safe out there... Want a drink 'till then?"

The blonde woman, clad in a black dress just revealing enough for her profession, approaches Sandman.

8Lxw9Ze.png

"I'm going to guess you're not interested in a drink, right, Sandman?" It would seem Sandman had been a customer here previously.

Sandman removes his helmet, placing it on the table.

Yyu6Ryp.png

"Not particularly, Kim."

Sandman places the money on the counter, and the two of them go to a room in the back...

kvu8ShS.png

"He's a character, isn't he?" says the barkeep, polishing a glass.

Skrall, Flynn, Warlne, and Sandman hastily make their way to cenauri, and duck into the first building they see there.

mglb3G7.png

"Oh, lovely. A brothel. Of course it'd be a brothel." :hmpf_bad:
A bar and brothel that once had pristine white walls was now a mottled grey due to the fog. With that omen re-enforcing what was about to descend upon Moone, the party eetners the bilding and slams the door shut. The barkeep goes over and makes sure it's sealed up well, before returning to his post behind the bar.

OdUgRTv.png

kvu8ShS.png

"I see you brought friends, Sandman!"

7YdqKPh.png

"More like associates."

kvu8ShS.png

"Pah, you'd call your own family associates.

Well, fellas, the clock is about to strike midnight, so you're stuck in here for a while. It usually takes about half an hour, maybe a full one, for it to be safe out there... Want a drink 'till then?"

*Sigh* "Possibly. What's on tap?"

"Also, don't latch the lock too tightly - we have...associates, that should be here sometime or other. Unless they've already found shelter.

Speaking of which, what news have you of status of the Cathedral of Ennoc, of Yukumo, and of Algon? And have you heard of a man named Sputnik = specifically where he might be found?"

kvu8ShS.png

"We have the standard fare."

heroica-mead.jpgMead (Causes the encouraged-effect, doubling the target's attack power for the duration of one battle.) Costs 15 gold.

heroica-smellingsalts.jpgSmelling Salts (Causes the hastened-effect, allowing the target to act twice in one round for the duration of one battle.) Costs 25 gold.

heroica-nostrum.jpgNostrum (Causes the lucky-effect, allowing the target to roll the battle die twice and get the better result of the two for the duration of one battle.) Costs 35 gold.

kvu8ShS.png

"Sputnik? Never heard of him. The Cathedral of Ennoc and Yukumo are still standing, last I heard. Algon is... All gone, unfortunately. A lot of people fled from there to Yukumo and Cenauri, but if the dragon doesn't die soon..."

The barkeep frowns, not comfortable with the subject.

kvu8ShS.png

"We have the standard fare."

heroica-mead.jpgMead (Causes the encouraged-effect, doubling the target's attack power for the duration of one battle.) Costs 15 gold.

heroica-smellingsalts.jpgSmelling Salts (Causes the hastened-effect, allowing the target to act twice in one round for the duration of one battle.) Costs 25 gold.

heroica-nostrum.jpgNostrum (Causes the lucky-effect, allowing the target to roll the battle die twice and get the better result of the two for the duration of one battle.) Costs 35 gold.

kvu8ShS.png

"Sputnik? Never heard of him. The Cathedral of Ennoc and Yukumo are still standing, last I heard. Algon is... All gone, unfortunately. A lot of people fled from there to Yukumo and Cenauri, but if the dragon doesn't die soon..."

The barkeep frowns, not comfortable with the subject.

"Shame about Algon.

Yeah, the king sent us to take care of Vorpalis. Any chance we could get a hero discount, even if it's only a couple gold? I get that you have a business to run, but if we aren't able to take care of that dragon - which those drinks would definitely help us do - your customer base may start drying up, or worse...

Also, are there any other vendors in Cenauri, or is this the only one?"

Edited by Lind Whisperer

kvu8ShS.png

"...5 gold off on all drinks." says the man reluctantly.

"Most are closed, if only because of the time of day, and the dragon issue. they're calling me crazy for keeping the Half Moon open, and ya know what? They're probably right."

kvu8ShS.png

Most are closed, if only because of the time of day, and the dragon issue. they're calling me crazy for keeping the Half Moon open, and ya know what? They're probably right."

Lind patted him on the shoulders encouragingly. "No, it's they who are crazy. The bar's called the Half Moon - what kind of crazy place would it be where a bar named the Half Moon wasn't open at night?"

Karie looks at the situation grumbling to herself. She was hoping for something less time wasting.

"Son of a- Jinnipher, help me move this beam. Now!"

Skrall put down 30 Gold for a Nostrum. "Has there been any attempt to evacuate the island? Understandable that folks livelihoods are here, but if they're sticking around I can't imagine they won't have much left. What about a resistance, has anyone tried mounting some sort of defense?"

Lind patted him on the shoulders encouragingly. "No, it's they who are crazy. The bar's called the Half Moon - what kind of crazy place would it be where a bar named the Half Moon wasn't open at night?"

kvu8ShS.png

"I'm not gonna say it isn't profitable, because it definitely is. Everyone is, well, scared out of their minds, plain and simple. And when that happens, they either dull it with some booze or get some more intimate entertainment. Speaking of which any of you in the market for some literature?"

Skrall put down 30 Gold for a Nostrum. "Has there been any attempt to evacuate the island? Understandable that folks livelihoods are here, but if they're sticking around I can't imagine they won't have much left. What about a resistance, has anyone tried mounting some sort of defense?"

kvu8ShS.png

"A lot of the wealthy said "screw it" and left, and some commoners did too. But this is home. A lot of people simply can't afford to leave, for one reason or another. A few people have tried, even a few on order from King Faust. It's already become urban legend how their corpses were found, and honestly, I don't believe it. Supposedly a bolt of lightning randomly struck - on a clear night, no less - and right where the bolt struck the first group's ashes, armor, and corpses were there. I don't believe it. It doesn't make any-"

The party can hear the sound of a deafening roar. They instinctively cover their ears as the floor shakes and the walls tremble. Before long, the noise passes... The party looks at the windows, and sees nothing but darkness.

kvu8ShS.png

"Bloody hell! I never get used to that..." The barkeeper mutters, shaking, before handing the party their drinks.

"That... Was Vorpalis doing a fly-by. must be midnight, ecause he's dropping the fog again. You better hope your associates are okay..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karie and Jinnipher struggle to hoist up the beam, but eventually the old man wriggles out, his legs very clearly broken.

iO5K0d4.png

"Th-thank you for coming all the way out here, at such a dangerous time, to help me...

This used to be me and the missus' home, but that damnable dragon... Crushed it to bits after we fled to Cenauri. I promised the wife that I'd recover something from our old home, as a memory, but... That didn't happen, clearly. And there's nothing here anyway, except wreckage and-"

Karie, Kinnipher, and the old man all hear a deafening sound, practically amking the ground tremor. They look up, and see the source...

5mJNKYM.png

The silhouette of the massive Vorpalis, cloaked in the black fog, was soaring overhead! His roar was deafening, and he flew at a breakneck place, scattering black fog in his wake... There was no escape from the fog cover out in the open. Soon, darkness descended upon Karie and Jinnipher...

QM Note: Expect PMs soon...

kvu8ShS.png

"I'm not gonna say it isn't profitable, because it definitely is. Everyone is, well, scared out of their minds, plain and simple. And when that happens, they either dull it with some booze or get some more intimate entertainment. Speaking of which any of you in the market for some literature?"

"I'm always interested in a good book - what do you have in stock?"

kvu8ShS.png

"A lot of the wealthy said "screw it" and left, and some commoners did too. But this is home. A lot of people simply can't afford to leave, for one reason or another. A few people have tried, even a few on order from King Faust. It's already become urban legend how their corpses were found, and honestly, I don't believe it. Supposedly a bolt of lightning randomly struck - on a clear night, no less - and right where the bolt struck the first group's ashes, armor, and corpses were there. I don't believe it. It doesn't make any-"

"I highly doubt it was random."

The party can hear the sound of a deafening roar. They instinctively cover their ears as the floor shakes and the walls tremble. Before long, the noise passes... The party looks at the windows, and sees nothing but darkness.

kvu8ShS.png

"Bloody hell! I never get used to that..." The barkeeper mutters, shaking, before handing the party their drinks.

"That... Was Vorpalis doing a fly-by. must be midnight, ecause he's dropping the fog again. You better hope your associates are okay..."

The Munchkin stared silently out the window, glaring angrily up at the dense fog.
QM Note: Expect PMs soon...

OoC: Perhaps our party should go PM as well, to avoid OoC information?

That, and not knowing the other party's status is just plain more exciting.

OoC: Perhaps our party should go PM as well, to avoid OoC information?

That, and not knowing the other party's status is just plain more exciting.

Generally the larger group stays in thread, and individual stuff goes PM. :wink:

Jinnipher led the way with Karie, mumbling about how the others were cowards.

Upon helping the old man and hearing the dragon, she covered her ears and ducked. A thick fog fell like a blanket around her...

kvu8ShS.png

kvu8ShS.png

Skrall scratched his head sheepishly in response to the literature request, "Thanks, but no." The ogre wrinkled his brow at the description of the previous party. "Sounds more like the dragon might have other accomplices. What do you know of the people who have submitted to the wyrm's rule? Or is he even leaving survivors?"

Edited by Waterbrick Down

kvu8ShS.png

"It's not the story you're thinkin' of, it's one of Kim's old things she wants to pawn off. 50 Shades of Bley. 1000 gold."

"The people who submitted to his rule are mostly in Mermont. Bunch of traitors - how in the world could the capital city be the first to defect? I bet they had to off guard captain Aeolus before his rule was accepted. The man would never let that happen."

The Munchkin stared silently out the window, glaring angrily up at the dense fog.

"Trust me, I feel the same way...

I just realized I never got your names - minus Sandman, but I'm sure he has an actual name. I'm Troy."

kvu8ShS.png

"It's not the story you're thinkin' of, it's one of Kim's old things she wants to pawn off. 50 Shades of Bley. 1000 gold."

"Erm, I'm afraid that's not quite my, er, taste in literature..."
"The people who submitted to his rule are mostly in Mermont. Bunch of traitors - how in the world could the capital city be the first to defect? I bet they had to off guard captain Aeolus before his rule was accepted. The man would never let that happen."
"Add Aerola to the list of people we have to keep an eye out for, boys..."
"Trust me, I feel the same way...

I just realized I never got your names - minus Sandman, but I'm sure he has an actual name. I'm Troy."

"...Flynn. Flynn Flisperer."