Sign in to follow this  
Endgame

Heroica RPG - Quest #138: Fade To Black

"I must apologize for him - he has no tastes in the matters of calm and quiet delivery of exposition.

"I believe it was your interest in monologuing is what got us in this position in the first place! I'm going to repeat what Warlen said, and say dragon behind us! Come on, let's go! To Yuriko!"

"I believe it was your interest in monologuing is what got us in this position in the first place!

The Munchkin gave her a flat look. "I. Was. Locked in."
I'm going to repeat what Warlen said, and say dragon behind us! Come on, let's go! To Yuriko!"

"Yukumo. And are you voting for going with Herrengel Charon, or for finding our own route?"

The Munchkin gave her a flat look. "I. Was. Locked in."

"Yukumo. And are you voting for going with Herrengel Charon, or for finding our own route?" [/colour]

"Well don't look at me, Flisperer, Whisperer, whatever your name happens to be! I didn't lock you in, so don't give me that lip." Karie remarks towards Lind.

"Besides, it's really not important considering the chimney dragon's right behind us! I don't care what we do right now, but if this Charon guy can get us to Yukumo, or whatever it's called, I don't care. Let's just go!"

Edited by Kintobor

NhqSeTs.png

"Then let us press onwards."

Charon turns around and begins to walk into the forest.

7YdqKPh.png

"...That is not the path to Yukumo."

NhqSeTs.png

"You're right. Not the conventional one, anyone. Have a little faith in the fallen archangel."

The party cautiously follows Charon, and the landcsape changes around them with each step. The fog clears, and the dreary morning sky soon becoms night once more. The myriad trees dissappear, stone pillars and obelisks flanking them on either side. The white flowers that Charon stood in are soon nearly everwhere except on the path they were trodding. The desolate landscape of Moone were replaced by lush rolling hills, streams of water trickling down the way...

308e3ye.png

It was mystic. It was serene. And it certainly wasn't Moone.

Charon looks around his surroundings appreciatively, his cane making small pockmarks in the soil as he walked. His wings rustled in the genelte night time breeze.

NhqSeTs.png

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

Besides the stunning change in scenery, the party noticed something else about Charon now that his back was turned.

2m7aubl.png

There was scorch and suture marks, as if his wings had been burnt off and reattached...

What would the party do?

Edited by Endgame

NhqSeTs.png

"This place would be Eschaton. Myself and my master's realm."

Edited by Endgame

"Erm... have my prayers been answered? Not likely... Er, archanglel, what the Hel are we doing here?"

"Erm... have my prayers been answered? Not likely... Er, archanglel, what the Hel are we doing here?"

NhqSeTs.png

"No, Moon Elf, you aren't dead. And trust me, the afterlife doesn't look nearly as nice as this for most...

This is how we're getting to Yukumo. This path leads anywhere and everywhere in the world, as long as you're willing to walk it. Or say they say." Charon chuckles coyly.

"That, and sometimes I just enjoy sharing the view..."

Another raised eyebrow. "I assume there's a price to pay for such a privilege?"

Another raised eyebrow. "I assume there's a price to pay for such a privilege?"

Charon shrugs.

NhqSeTs.png

"Small talk? Not really. It's not like I'm losing anything while doing this, so why would there be a price?"

Charon shrugs.

NhqSeTs.png

"Small talk? Not really. It's not like I'm losing anything while doing this, so why would there be a price?"

"Er... okay. So how did you lose your wings, then?"

"Er... okay. So how did you lose your wings, then?"

NhqSeTs.png

"Though the parting with my former god was amicable, and there's only one way for an angel to go down after his dismissal. Namely, down, at an incredibly fast rate... It's all fun and games until you re-enter the atmosphere."

"So your not technically welcome her?" Karie responds, looking around her nervously.

"So your not technically welcome her?" Karie responds, looking around her nervously.

NhqSeTs.png

"Oh, here, in Eschaton? I'm plenty welcome. If the heaven I presided over was half this nice, I would have never made my meteoric exit even if they put me on janitorial duty. No, here, I'm second in command. The work we do is... interesting, to say the least. You could say we're arbiters, or judges, of sorts. Ever heard of a place called Dastan?"

NhqSeTs.png

"Oh, here, in Eschaton? I'm plenty welcome. If the heaven I presided over was half this nice, I would have never made my meteoric exit even if they put me on janitorial duty. No, here, I'm second in command. The work we do is... interesting, to say the least. You could say we're arbiters, or judges, of sorts. Ever heard of a place called Dastan?"

"Never been there myself, but yeah, I've heard of it. Why?" Karie looked skeptically at Charon.

NhqSeTs.png

"Because our operation was the one who crowned the very first Emperor of Dastan. That is the scale on which we influence history. All for the greater good, of course - all of our work is for humanity's benefit.

Perhaps you've even heard or read of another act we're responsible for. We've been cropping up in history, guiding the flow of events, since the dawn of time. Not once have our acts been attirubted to our actual names - they've gotten damn close to mine, but the boss? You'll never find him in any history book, ancient text, or Dodekube - despite the fact that he should be in all of them."

NhqSeTs.png

"Because our operation was the one who crowned the very first Emperor of Dastan. That is the scale on which we influence history. All for the greater good, of course - all of our work is for humanity's benefit.

Perhaps you've even heard or read of another act we're responsible for. We've been cropping up in history, guiding the flow of events, since the dawn of time. Not once have our acts been attirubted to our actual names - they've gotten damn close to mine, but the boss? You'll never find him in any history book, ancient text, or Dodekube - despite the fact that he should be in all of them."

"How tragic." Skrall shrugged his shoulders, "Sounds like he needs a better PR manager. How much further do we have?"

NhqSeTs.png

"Who said we wanted to be known? Not much further now. I'm fairly certain if you disembarked here, you'd end up in the ocean, so lets not..."

Edited by Endgame

NhqSeTs.png

"Who said we wanted to be known? Not much further now. I'm fairly certain if you disembarked here, you'd end up in the ocean, so lets not..."

"So he'd rather not take credit for his accomplishments or he fears interference?"

"So he'd rather not take credit for his accomplishments or he fears interference?"

NhqSeTs.png

"Bit of both, really. There's a few other factors in play too, but those are thigs you'll likely never learn."

"I used to know someone who thought it fun to interfere with timelines and stuff. Didn't end very well for him... or anyone who came in contact with him." Karie muses, sounding somber.

"I used to know someone who thought it fun to interfere with timelines and stuff. Didn't end very well for him... or anyone who came in contact with him." Karie muses, sounding somber.

NhqSeTs.png

"That silver clad mockery of a mollusk who claimed he was "immeasurably old", despite being a percent of my age?"

Edited by Endgame

NhqSeTs.png

"That silver clad mockery of a mollusk who claimed he was "immeasurably old", despite being a percent of my age?"

Karie frowns. "Call him what you want, but if you're group is so almighty, why didn't you deal with him?"

Karie frowns. "Call him what you want, but if you're group is so almighty, why didn't you deal with him?"

NhqSeTs.png

"Why didn't we? Because you did." Charon shrugs. " We weren't neccasary then. My Master can see the future via visions, you know. And he saw The Regret would lose. Simple as that. We're not here to micromanage, or stick our nose into the case of every megalomaniacal freak with a messiah complex. We're here to prevent you from cocking everything up so badly, you, say, sink half a continent." Charon says his last few words with a definite edge. "That happened when we chose to give you the benefit of the doubt. Never again will that happen as long as we live."

Edited by Endgame