Sign in to follow this  
HandofBobb

Brick alignment issues with LDD

I'm in the middle of a largish build in LDD (about 5000) bricks atm, and im only halfway or so), and I'm beginning to run into an issue-

It seems that over several layers, individual miniscule imprecisions on how the program aligns bricks have begun to add up to the point

where the program is beginning to not allow me to place bricks, despite there being no discernable conflict- has anyone encountered

something like this before, and are there any known fixes?

Maybe there are to much bricks? If there is a lot of lag in the program this could be the issue i think.

This can happen if you misplaced a brick somewhere. One method is to place a large baseplate or other reference brick into your model, and then copy your model in sections onto the new reference, in this way you can check the alignment section by section. Otherwise, you may need to rebuild from scratch.

Could you post the lxf file? There's a million reasons why stuff can end up misaligned, and it's gonna be pretty hard to guess right without seeing it.

thanks for the replies, sorry I have been a bit too busy to respond during the week. I was attempting to scale up my Queen's Tower model for the LEGO Worlds contest, but this issue kept me from being able to complete the larger version in time. here are the files I was talking about- the plan was to stack 3 or so sets of the shaft on the base, but there's some irregularity along the upper bricks keeping me from being able to just copy and paste onto the base.

(Hrm, it says the files are too big to attach, is there somewhere else I can post them and link to?)

LDD%20Big%20Tower%20Base.jpg

LDD%20Big%20Tower%20Shaft.jpg

LDD%20Issues.jpg

Here's a picture of where I first noticed the issue- I had a pair of 1x2x5 bricks un this slot, but removed them to put in supports for the bunks, only to find that LDD wouldn't let me place the top set of plates. Although it was weird and annoying, I was able to ignore it and build around it, but then it turns out to have been a symptom of a larger problem. You can see how the bricks in the corner are just slightly lower than the 3x3 tile next to them.

Edited by HandofBobb

Does the model use any connections where studs go into technic holes? For example, one of those SNOT bricks with studs on the side inserted into a technic hole will cause the SNOT brick to have a microscopic vertical offset. Stuff like this can really add up over the course of a build and mess things up later on.

I've had this problem. LDD will sometimes allow parts to be attached with a miniscule offset, such that it is not readily noticeable, but seriously adds up over time. And, sometimes it will just have conflicts for no real reason.

Does the model use any connections where studs go into technic holes? For example, one of those SNOT bricks with studs on the side inserted into a technic hole will cause the SNOT brick to have a microscopic vertical offset. Stuff like this can really add up over the course of a build and mess things up later on.

Nope, no technic bricks or advanced techniques, its meant for LEGO Worlds, so uses a very basic brick palette.

I've had this problem. LDD will sometimes allow parts to be attached with a miniscule offset, such that it is not readily noticeable, but seriously adds up over time. And, sometimes it will just have conflicts for no real reason.

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about, is there any easy way to fix this, or am I stuck tearing it apart and trying from scratch?