Sign in to follow this  
TheOneVeyronian

Jetran'Rex, Steel Mercenary

17164001746_0125c6f7b6_c.jpg

Jetran'Rex, Steel Mercenary by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

The brutal warrior brother of the Guardian Mechan'Rex, Jetran'Rex is a master of aerial axe combat with glowing red eyes that strike fear into his enemies and a super-powerful jetpack which enables him to fly despite his heavy steel forged armour. He is a Master of Sonics, Metal and Air and fights only to defend his family and retrieve the Golden Masks for his greedy collector father, taking on any Toa, Skull Villain or even Makuta who stands in his way.

This MOC, a heavily modified "evolution" of Mechan'Rex, the award winning BFTGM entry, was made for BZPower's Flickr contest and incorporates Power Functions in the form of light-up eyes. The battery box is mounted on his back where it forms the bulk of the jetpack. It is 100% purist. Pushing the dark bley levers at the bottom pops the wings on the jetpack up.

Front view:

17003765659_d79f8b66f6_c.jpg

Back view:

16982502667_f81170f93c_c.jpg

I hope you enjoyed looking at this MOC, which despite it being created from my BFTGM entry, still took 3 days to build :laugh: . Comments are welcome.

Edited by TheOneVeyronian

Wow. I didn't like the original Mechan'rex at all, but you've fixed the problems I had with that design and added a couple of very cool features. And the head, which was the part I really disliked in the original, is now my favorite part of the build. Excellent work!

Wow. I didn't like the original Mechan'rex at all, but you've fixed the problems I had with that design and added a couple of very cool features. And the head, which was the part I really disliked in the original, is now my favorite part of the build. Excellent work!

Thanks. In fact, Jetran'Rex is a revamp of a revamp. The original MOC was actually something called Thrash Linkin', based off the album art of Linkin' Park's "Living Things", and the head was kinda reused for Mechan'Rex (so that's where the head came from). Jetran'Rex has a completely different head build, driven by the fact I wanted to incorporate light up eyes, and I agree - it's so much better than the rather hastily built Mechan'Rex (and I'm still surprised that it - out of all my BFTGM entries - won 2nd place despite the fact I thought it was one of my less good entries).

The only problem I have with this MOC is one you can't see in pictures - since the battery box is mounted on the back, Jetran'Rex is VERY rear-heavy (thanks to the batteries) and falls over a lot, that's why he has a rudder-like tail, to keep him upright. Hence why I avoided putting him in more adventurous poses... :laugh:

Someone actually said to me on Flickr that Jetran'Rex looked a lot like a Brute from Halo - now I can't unsee that because he does look a bit like one... :grin:

EDIT: Just noticed the sonic speakers in the photos are misaligned, they're supposed to be lined up :look:

Edited by TheOneVeyronian