Sign in to follow this  
danth

Classic Space alternate builds

Whaaaaaa?! That is way too cool!

I think alt builds like this really highlight how amazing Lego bricks are. The way you turned regular plates into joints! I remember doing stuff like that as a kid but I totally forgot it was possible.

I love this though. The legs and feet have a great shape. The doors as fingers are perfect. Well done! You've upped the ante.

Thanks danth, much appreciated. It did turn out better than I was expecting :-)

I was trying to come up with a space ship but the 918 is hard to beat and they just ended up being the 918 with the wings positioned slightly differently. Then I borrowed your wings as legs trick and started thinking about all the great mechs you see on eurobricks and played around with joint options. Obviously they are mostly weak connections but with a few more 1x4 and 1x2 plates I think they could be reinforced enough to be playable. I'm still sticking to the original parts count for the time being so they are proper alt. builds :-)

Here are a couple of WIP pics -

27796508213_d104d4dcc3.jpgClassic Space LEGO 918 alternate builds by Stephen O'Connor, on Flickr

28379096986_f37b0722dd.jpgClassic Space LEGO 918 alternate builds by Stephen O'Connor, on Flickr

WIPS look promising SteveOC, I'll be waiting to see more.

Actually the WIP pics are what came before the pics in post 26. Sorry for the confusing order. Might try another spaceship before putting it away.

Oh I see. The first one looks different enough to be its own thing. I like it a lot. Sort of a mobile hover base if not a walker.

928 Galaxy Explorer alternateĀ build (+ a 886 rover) - radio telescope base with lander.

The lander came first while trying to do something bigger. I really liked the look of it and stopped working on it but had loads of bricks left so finally got the idea for a radio telescope. The first attempt was the one on the crater plate which is a bit haphazard. When I ran out of space and it got a bit flimsy I did the free standing plates between studs one. (I'll take some better photos of individual items at some point!).

30215216224_024a869a53.jpgIMG_0131 by Stephen O'Connor, on Flickr

30847648625_04bc5d762a.jpgIMG_0118 by Stephen O'Connor, on Flickr

Edited by SteveOC
additional pic

I never responded to this. That bi-plane style space ship is great. Such a completely different shape than the main build.

I need to do an alt build before the end of the year. I am so behind.

On 11/7/2016 at 2:25 PM, SteveOC said:

928 Galaxy Explorer alternateĀ build (+ a 886 rover) - radio telescope base with lander.

Quoting you so you get pinged.