Sign in to follow this  
danth

Classic Space alternate builds

Hey guys! I recently made some alternate builds of old Space sets, using only parts from each set. I had a lot of fun making these!

First up is Space Supply Station:

UEz4qIp.jpg?1

I decided to make a space ship!

3HWC1dh.jpg?1

I really wanted rockets on the sides but I didn't have the cones or thruster pieces. I think the satellite dish pieces worked well enough in a pinch.

3gqeEi3.jpg?1

I wanted to make those support structures into wings. I also wanted to make the white slope pieces into wings. So I did both!

yXvoMV1.jpg?1

Edited by danth

Next up is 6950 Mobile Rocket Transport:

CM8MZCV.jpg?1

It's obvious that this set really wants to be a space ship!

fu7I0jS.jpg?1

I had to have the dual rockets. The set has only one cone so one rocket has a sensor array on the front. I like a little asymmetry anyway.

8V62Lzb.jpg?1

Who needs a roof? Not Lego astronauts! Besides, that dish in the back is a bubble shield generator.

VEba05P.jpg?1

Edited by danth

Cool and creative alternative builds, Danth. I like how you come up with your own functions and solutions for not having the right part for your MOC. I think that there lies the creativity which LEGO makes so awesome.

Nice alternates. But could you resize your pictures as EB allow a maximum width of 1000 pixels, thanks.

Cool and creative alternative builds, Danth. I like how you come up with your own functions and solutions for not having the right part for your MOC. I think that there lies the creativity which LEGO makes so awesome.

Thanks OL! Doing alternate builds feels like a very pure form of the Lego experience to me. You just have the bricks you have, there's no worrying about what bricks you should buy to make the MOC better. The limitations make you focus on the fun part, which is building the best MOC out of what's in front of you.

Nice alternates. But could you resize your pictures as EB allow a maximum width of 1000 pixels, thanks.

Oops, should be fixed now.

Edited by danth

I think it's neat how most of the classic space sets give you the pieces to make a ship. It's like they fly all of the materials to where they are going then repurpose then

These are great and they inspired me to have a go with my own Classic Space sets.

Is it best to post them on this topic in future as it's got the right name "Classic Space alternate builds" or start a new topic for each set?

6950 Mobile Rocket Transport - http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=122240&hl=

6890 cosmic cruiser - http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=121135&hl=

497 / 928 Galaxy Explorer - http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=121134&hl=

Edited by SteveOC

Diggin' these. Everything Classic Space is really meant to be a spaceship, isn't it? :sweet: It's those dang rovers and buildings that are the alt builds.

I finally did another alt build, this time of X1 Patrol Craft:

pyteRZVm.jpg

This time for a change I made a space ship into a ground vehicle:

7Y6C5sMl.jpg

I was essentially trying to make a walker with little roller wheels at the end of each leg:

UlEw8CMl.jpg

I used every piece in the set to make it!

m4eXHpll.jpg

That's great danth, those legs work really well. I'm obsessed with enclosed cockpits at the moment so think I'd struggle to come up with alternate builds for my smaller sets.

Here are my latest alt. builds of the 6891 Gamma-V Laser Craft -

Asteroid Interceptor

Icy moon ocean explorer sub

25688027772_25c8682d5b.jpgClassic Space LEGO 6891 Gamma-V Laser Craft alternate builds by Stephen O'Connor, on Flickr

Edited by SteveOC

That is great Steve! You come up with fantastic shapes that I would never think of. Your alt builds inspired me to try something as different as possible and stretch my creativity with the X1 Patrol Craft alt build.

That is great Steve! You come up with fantastic shapes that I would never think of. Your alt builds inspired me to try something as different as possible and stretch my creativity with the X1 Patrol Craft alt build.

Thanks danth, I'm mostly getting my ideas from existing sci-fi or aerospace projects I've come across. Trying it with the limited pieces in the sets, failing, but coming up with something interesting while trying. The Asteroid Interceptor started as an attempt to do a Star Wars Boba Fett Slave 1 style ship.

It's a bit bland but I've improved the submarine a bit by reducing the gaps and quite like it. I'm going to try to make a lander vehicle to deliver it to a moons surface now :-)

Improved Icy moon ocean explorer sub - MANATEE? (need to make that a clever acronym!)

25218060853_211d8f9d66.jpgClassic Space LEGO 6891 Gamma-V Laser Craft alternate builds by Stephen O'Connor, on Flickr

25723700312_527d08db65.jpgClassic Space LEGO 6891 Gamma-V Laser Craft alternate builds by Stephen O'Connor, on Flickr

Edited by SteveOC

My god. That first one looks rad and the tricks you used to build it are ingenious!

Also I need to use that SNOT trick more often where you stick a plate between studs.

Edited by danth

Thanks again danth, the first one was actually the last one I came up with and I am pretty pleased with it :-)

I've been playing around with my 6929 Starfleet Voyager this time. I was trying to do something clever with a much larger cargo container but ended up with a Darth Maul Sith Infiltrator looking ship with the option of a standard cargo container in a lightweight mounting. I gave it a retracting front landing pad instead of a droop nose too. I used the left over pieces to make some engineering/maintenance equipment :-)

27712424305_43309fdf8e.jpgClassic Space LEGO 6929 Starfleet Voyager alternate build by Stephen O'Connor, on Flickr

27637687331_f1ddd05901.jpgClassic Space LEGO 6929 Starfleet Voyager alternate build by Stephen O'Connor, on Flickr

Nice! Totally different look with the cockpit in the rear instead of up front. Looks meaner.

I really need to do more of these. I've been meaning to get around to it. I'll try to do some this weekend.

Nice Steve, it's got sort of a sting ray shape.

Okay, this is for you. Finally got around to doing a Gamma V Laser Craft alt.

qSi6a67l.jpgdBqBUP1l.jpgKnCtem9l.jpg

More pics here.

I tried to use snot tricks and use the canopy in a non-standard way. I had a few parts left over.

I think I want to try to make a small base out of it next.

Nice job! An enclosed cockpit and I really like what you did with those two black shell pieces. I couldn't work out how to make good use of them on my alt. build.

Oh and I made sure to use that plate-between-studs trick that you reminded me of in your builds. That's how the back engine is held on as well as the side maneuvering thrusters.

Got another one! Also a Gamma V Laser Craft alt, this time a base.

2VuraU8l.jpg

I used the panel pieces as walls and the hover engine pieces as support struts.

7uPdgKpl.jpg

Here a little robot adjusts the output of the main generator.

i3QEJiGl.jpg

Top view showing the klaxons and communications/sensor array.

Album link

Edited by danth

Nicely detailed base danth. It looks like the robot is attending a drilling rig.

I've pinched your wings as legs technique for my next build ;-)