Sign in to follow this  
Kumbbl

Questions concerning the BI of Grazis Tow Truck

Hi,

currently i start to build this outstanding MOC of Andrea Grazi - many many thanks to Blakbird for making free BI some years ago!

They are very good at least for experienced builders but nevertheless i have some questions.

Here comes the first one:

please take a look at this screenshot of the BI (page 57):

page-27.jpg

Can anybody (who has already built this MOC) tell me what are these double "black lines" marked by my red elipse? is this a rubberband? or what else? and if this is "something" important, how to connect it to which other part?

Thanks a lot in advance!

PS.

probably i have some more questions and the need for clarification - therefore i have opened a new thread so all of them are collected at some place, so other people who wants to build this MOC can see all of the answers at one place ...

Edited by Kumbbl

Yes, that is a rubber band. If I remember right, it is used to keep the drop axle centered when lifted (the wheels are castered and can turn). You will see what to connect them to when the submodel is installed in the main model.

Another question: AFAICS the battery box is completely obstructed... so how to switch on/off the battery box if no access to the two red buttons? Do i always have to remove the battery box for switching on/off? or have i overseen something? Thanks for help!

Next question:

In the partlist on rebrickable there are 9 of the technic steering arms with tow ball socket chamfered (part 32195b) - does anybody know if these chamfered arms are mandatory or if the un-chamfered version (e.g. these of 8448 supercar) are suitable as well?

Thanks!

You can use either - they're functionally identical here. I think I used the 8448 ones when I built it.

The buttons for the battery box are accessible when it's installed. It is also pretty quick to remove the box to change batteries - I seem to recall you just need to pull out four bushing pins and then it drops out. The only obstacle is that you may need to lift the truck up to give enough space to drop.

Next question:

In the partlist on rebrickable there are 9 of the technic steering arms with tow ball socket chamfered (part 32195b) - does anybody know if these chamfered arms are mandatory or if the un-chamfered version (e.g. these of 8448 supercar) are suitable as well?

Thanks!

Thanks alot, Edman ZA!

again a question:

Can anybody tell me where in this step the red marked part has to be added:

page-42.jpg

I can really nowhere see a sensful position....

Thanks a lot.

The only obstacle is that you may need to lift the truck up to give enough space to drop.14.gif

Edited by enyibasr

Thanks alot, Edman ZA!

again a question:

Can anybody tell me where in this step the red marked part has to be added:

page-42.jpg

I can really nowhere see a sensful position....

Thanks a lot.

well, forget it - i found it - i have downloaded the ldr-files from here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=121602

very helpful! and by rotating you can find the placement of this part....

i have a question about the fake engine and the hinged bonnet:

page-118.jpg

IMHO you can not close the bonnet if these (lime marked) engine decorations are applied - then the whole engine is too tall ... if you remove the lime marked parts then all is fine - Grazi has in his brickshelf folder only an engine without decorations. But Blackbird, you made the BI - and there the engine is with decorations: How have you managed to apply the bonnet and how have you managed that the bonnet is openable and closeable... i have build all as described in your BI but then the bonnet does not fit anymore... have i overlooked something?

Thanks for any hint!

Nevertheless: great BI - without it would be very hard to rebuild this outstanding MOC.... many thanks for your effort!

The buttons for the battery box are accessible when it's installed.

Unfortunatelly not - only one button is accessible when the battery and all other components are installed... on button is completely hidden by the cabin and the exhaust pipe base... therefore switching on the battery is no problem but switching off is impossible without uninstalling the battery --> this is indeed quite annoying...

Not to go off-topic but I believe one of the pre-requisites to build this truck is to start with a 5571, and those are difficult/pricey/rare to get.

Question: Can the truck be built with the more common tires/wheels such as those of 8258/8285?

IMHO no - reasons:

A) the truck will look out of scale and would loose some of its really boss look - the modern tyres will be too small for the mudguards...

B) even more Important: the ground clearance of the two rear axles and their suspension System ( BTW: this truck has the best and niftiest truck suspension i ever saw in a huge truck lego model - on all 4 axles!) be too low ie. more or less zero.

I have finished the build today and later on i will write an own praising topic...

Thank You. I'll have to hold off until I get the 5571 set then. Looking forward to your review of such iconic MOC.

IMHO you can not close the bonnet if these (lime marked) engine decorations are applied - then the whole engine is too tall ... if you remove the lime marked parts then all is fine - Grazi has in his brickshelf folder only an engine without decorations. But Blackbird, you made the BI - and there the engine is with decorations: How have you managed to apply the bonnet and how have you managed that the bonnet is openable and closeable... i have build all as described in your BI but then the bonnet does not fit anymore... have i overlooked something?

When I originally did these instructions, I started with the files Grazi had posted on Brickshelf (modules) and then put them all together into an assembly. I made some design changes to use the newer rounded pneumatic cylinders because they were much easier to get at the time and I thought they looked better. The files on Grazi's Brickshelf have an "undecorated" engine and no seats in the interior. I created the first instructions entirely on my own without help from Grazi (this was my first CAD project). When I was done I sent him a copy of the draft and then he sent me some newer photos which showed an updated engine and interior. I went back and added that to the instructions.

I seem to remember the interference you are talking about. I think I needed to change a part in the upper front corner of my hood to make the engine fit, but it did fit after I made that change. Sadly, I do not remember exactly what it was.