Sign in to follow this  
Werlu Ulcur

X-34 × X-34

Being a huge fan of the X-34, set 8092 ("Luke's Landspeeder") was a must buy for me, but I only got it in the beginning of 2013. It was a very nice set to build, and I was pretty happy with the X-34. But this year the Mos Eisley Cantina (75052) came out, and though I already had the X-34, the cantina (and minifigs) would be a great set to have, and I got it for Christmas from my dear wife. I wasn't very sure about the color scheme of the new X-34, since I had the impression that the old one had nailed it. But after building the set, I could see i was wrong:

X34-landspeeder.jpg

tumblr_lfgi6b2Eea1qzelhwo1_1280.png

It has been a while since I last saw Ep IV, and to my surprise Luke's X-34 is more pinkish/salmon then the plain tan that TLG used for the old set.

X-34.jpg

With that, the old X-34 was dismantled and is now in pieces, in my parts bin. Another improvement over the older set is Luke's hair piece; I think it looks MUCH better now, less Prince Valiant and much closer to what Mark Hamill looked like in the movie.

Interesting deduction. I can see both pros and cons to both versions in comparison to the great photos you got of the original film used piece! :classic:

You should do a mix up with parts from the sets and see how accurate you can get it to the pic. For example, the grey tubes on the front of the old model are more accurate than the black tubes on the new one.

For example, the grey tubes on the front of the old model are more accurate than the black tubes on the new one.

The new one has the same grey tubes, it just looks like he took them out, or didn't put them in.

Sorry for the late response (I was on vacation :grin:).

The tubes are exactly the same. When I started building the new one and saw that they would be basically the same build, I didn't put on the new pair of tubes that came with the set (actually, it came with three tubes). I thought about doing a mash-up to see how I could make the X-34 more faithful to the original, but because of the color of the stickers on the turbines, i would have to go all tan or all salmon. In the end I opted for the salmon version, and reused the two grey tubes that were already bent to shape for the front. In reality, the (kind of) better X-34 is just a bonus, because the set is overall fantastic :classic:.