Shawn

Christmas Layout & 9V Question

Hello,

I have been collecting trains for years and I have 3 younger children, so I have never set them up. Today, I decided to set them up around the tree and they loved it. We had an initial problem when they thought it would be great to see if they can get the trains to crash, but I convinced them that they should not do that. :)

My question is this. I have 1 or two 9v motors on the each of the engines. How many 9V motors can 1 transformer power and if I want to use more than one transformer, how do I do that? I know I have seen this in this forum before, but every search that I do brings up 500 or more topics and I cannot seem to find the one that I am looking for? If I want more than one transformer, do I need to set up two different loops?

Here is a picture of the layout for those interested.

6567759181_6919afc91a.jpg

Thanks

Shawn

Well, what does your transformer say? I mean the net part? The current that a 9V motor can draw is according to Stefan Vorst <= 950mA, so 3 of those will draw at max about 3A. Of course there is some current lost because of the track length.

My question is this. I have 1 or two 9v motors on the each of the engines. How many 9V motors can 1 transformer power and if I want to use more than one transformer, how do I do that? I know I have seen this in this forum before, but every search that I do brings up 500 or more topics and I cannot seem to find the one that I am looking for? If I want more than one transformer, do I need to set up two different loops?

In practice it's not wise to run more than three motors per transformer, though I believe the actual transformers vary from region to region, so check what the maximum current is on the wall wart part of yours, and use JopieK motor current to work out how many you can drive. Many train clubs replace the wall wart transformer with a larger current transformer so more engines can be driven. If you have a extra controller, just connect it to the track as well, and keep the two in synch (be careful the polarity is the same, and dont drive them in opposite directions). On larger layouts it can be helpful to connect them on opposite sides of the loop to mitigate against current drop, but that shouldn't be a problem on your layout.

Well, what does your transformer say? I mean the net part? The current that a 9V motor can draw is according to Stefan Vorst <= 950mA, so 3 of those will draw at max about 3A. Of course there is some current lost because of the track length.

MIne says that is is 12V 7 Amps output on the transformer that plugs into the wall. THe actual lego transformer does not have any writing on it.

As peterab said, with a layout this size you can probably get 2 or 3 motors running comfortably off the one controller, but you'll have a less jerky ride if you stick a second controller on the other side of the track making sure they're running the same polarity and speed.

Also worth noting that it's a good idea to try keeping your track clean. 9v tracks get dirty pretty easily and just giving them a wipe with some paper towel can do wonders in keeping the trains running smoothly.

Enjoy!