Sign in to follow this  
eltsyr

[MOD] 10215 Obiwan Star-fighter w/ Ring

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Since release of UCS 10215 you've all been wanting to see this.

swtfobifighterring2_12015780912.jpg

Well at least I did :tongue: So I modded my UCS quick & dirty. Not really inventive but a perfect round shape is rather hard to achieve and Kit-Fisto Ring solution was very elegant. If it's not broken, don't fix it. I changed to color theme and added the 7676 reactors that my kids have dropped on the floor the other day "by mistake" (or so they say...possibly an excuse to get the few bricks they needed).

Creating a docking bay is a bit beyond me and the overall/scale suits me, plus I suspect that it would require some heavy modification in the JSF itself. I also wanted to show something that was easy to achieve since it uses existing models. Hopefully someone more talented will MOC a more elaborate version with docking bay :-)

Thanks for your time, enjoy !

p1020982.jpg

p1020984.jpg

p1020987.jpg

swtfobifighterring2_12015780912.jpg

Megabloks, those hideous Hasbro toys!

That's an interesting take you've done on the frame from 7661, but to be honest I thought the ring from the set looked a bit unfinished because they left all the Technic beams exposed. A few years back I stumbled upon someone who had built a hyperdrive booster ring for their 7143 and posted instructions here. I think modifying this individual's design using click hinge plates rather than bricks would allow you to make the frame thinner and thus more aesthetically pleasing. :classic:

I think those boosters could be beefed up more, especially considering their size in comparison to the rest of the fighter. In any case the 4x4 cylinder pieces are much too small, and the virtually unmodified LAAT/i engine pieces honestly look tacked on (e. g. those long protrusions in the front aren't accurate to the ring at all). I think there are some techniques out there for creating a circular shape with plates - you may want to look into that.

Funny that you've placed an Obi-wan minifigure in the cockpit - as if 7143 wasn't oversized enough! :tongue:

Edited by fallenangel327

In addition to what fallenangel said, I'd drop the mass driver launcher barrels from the RGS engines. That skinny tube really doesn't look that good.

Pretty decent attempt on the hyperspace ring eltsyr, but I really can't help but provide several significant criticisms:

- the circular shape is nice, but the use of those white wedge plates doesn't give a straight edge on one side of the ring

- the booster engines could've used a little more effort in modification instead of directly using the RGS engines

- the docking clips are blatantly missing, and I think you could still make those even without modifying the JSF

- "Honey, I shrunk Obi-Wan!", putting a minifig on this UCS JSF looks really weird.

I hope you take all of these, as well as the other's criticisms above, constructively. Hope to see a better version of this hyperspace ring in the future.

I hope you take all of these, as well as the other's criticisms above, constructively.

Hey of course...you attention as well as any criticism is welcome :classic:

I think it's pretty easy with current structure to "encase" the ring by changing some of the pins direction and adding more plates on the inside, closing each panel with slopes or bricks as in the link gently provided by Fallenangel327. However for the docking structure I lack all the technical beams (I don't have Kit Fisto JSF as I ordered only the ring components...overall I'm a bit limited by my bricks : I don't even have enough 2x6 white plate so why I had to use wedges :sceptic: )

Edited by eltsyr

...overall I'm a bit limited by my bricks : I don't even have enough 2x6 white plate so why I had to use wedges :sceptic: )

Oh I see, I didn't realize your parts limitation, now I understand the lack of essential features of your hyperspace ring. I do hope when you have the right parts you'll be able to improve this one. :wink:

i have been working on a obi booster ring myself, but i cant find the right solution for the engines, the big "rings" from the atlantis set would probably work out great, but cant find them in dark red anyway i like your ring i really think obis fighter needs a ring

i have been working on a obi booster ring myself, but i cant find the right solution for the engines, the big "rings" from the atlantis set would probably work out great, but cant find them in dark red anyway i like your ring i really think obis fighter needs a ring

I'll post this since I think this would help eltsyr as well. Pepa Quin worked out a way to achieve a cylinder with plates on his UCS ARC-170 by using ship's steering wheels:

arctable17.jpg

As well as this piece that I've never seen before:

arctable20.jpg

I'll post this since I think this would help eltsyr as well. Pepa Quin worked out a way to achieve a cylinder with plates on his UCS ARC-170 by using ship's steering wheels:

thanks, looks great but i dont have the ucs but the ordinary obi starfighter so the cylinders will be to big. but i have been building on the old ring, i gave up on, today, and now it looks like this, its sturdy (i always build for my son to play with) im in serious lack of parts but a bricklink order will be placed. so the colours arent correct so here is a picture og a WIP

nyefigurer070.jpg

nyefigurer071.jpg

Edited by echobasehoth

Nice work on the new WIP. As soon as you get that Bricklink order it'll look much better. :thumbup::classic:

Edited by Masked Builder

thanks, looks great but i dont have the ucs but the ordinary obi starfighter so the cylinders will be to big.

Okay, are you saying that since you own the 7143 System set (as opposed to the 10215 UCS) cylinders built using that technique would be too large in size? If so, I would disagree. The boosters on the hyperdrive ring are massive and look to be well over half the width of the Delta-7 according to this Finemolds kit. Then again, 7143 is generally considered one of the worst sets in terms of dimensional accuracy and scale, so if you're trying to build in a certain scale I could be wrong.

I wouldn't use the large half-cylinder pieces, mainly because they wouldn't allow for truly cylindrical boosters (only half) and secondly because they're costly. And if you ask me the exposed Technic ring doesn't look all that great either (the same reason I don't like some of the LEGO TIE sets; the frame holding the wing parts together are bulky and clearly visible, which detracts from the thin look of the wings themselves). They also leave gaps in the actual ring, which isn't too aesthetically pleasing.

@eltsyr: It is true that you can enclose the ring with a few more layers of plates, but then you have a pretty bulky ring. I remember the ring being very thin, like the wings of the Eta-2.

For the socket, I think you could probably just sandwich a few click hinge plates in between the parts of the cylinder and attach more plates to that. Of course, it won't be able to hold up the fighter, but it's not supposed to in the first place.